Walk Through the Y Interpretation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk Through the Y Interpretation

Just received my walk through the Y results. They were posted to my account but there was no interpretation of them. I didn't receive an e-mail either that they were done, but just happened to notice when I logged in. I know there is a "finch2" server with additional information but I am unable to login with my current ID and password. The WTY data appears on my account as two spread sheets available for download in three different formats. One spreadsheet is called "coverage" and the other one is called "alleles". When I signed up I indicated that my results could be made available to the public. In any event, I'm not sure what to do with these results, but would love to know what they mean.

Anyone know how I can get additional information? I wrote FTDNA about this but haven't heard anything from them yet. Thanks!

PS. my haplogroup is I1

Comment

bump - anyone out there able to help with this? Thanks!

Comment

Are you a member of the appropriate haplogroup project? If not, you should join, especially since you have WTY results. The administrators of the appropriate project are in the best position to help you understand your WTY results. Also, they are the ones who would be most interested to see if any new SNPs were discovered in your results.

Here's one piece of information you'll probably find useful. If any new SNPs were discovered in your results, the row they're in will be highlighted in yellow near the top of the alleles spreadsheet. The new SNP name will be in that row, for instance, L1999.

Comment

Hi there - thanks for the info!

Yes I am part of the I1 project and just sent a message off to one of the administrators. I'm waiting to hear from FTDNA about a login for the finch2 server, but haven't heard anything back yet. I don't see anything highlighted in yellow in my alleles spreadsheet so I guess there aren't any new SNP's found. If that is the case, how can I use my WTY results for expand my knowledge of my YDNA? My direct male line is a major brick wall for me and I'm hoping eventually my investigations into YDNA will prove useful (so far I've got no good YDNA leads to follow). Any other information is much appreciated. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi...I just looked on the finch2 and there are two I1 being tested and neither show that they are completed...one from Great Briton and one from Norway. If you will give me your member # I will look again.

I am very disappointed with FTDNA over my WTY test. My test has been completed over a month and they have given me NO official results of my test and now they will not furnish me with the results of my new SNP L1253 that they have already been testing. So join the club!

Comment

I finally got into finch2. No new snp's for my account. Oh well! I did hear from FTDNA though and it doesn't appear if we ever get a formal interpretation since this is considered a "research project". From here I'm not sure what I do with the data. Does any one else know? If there are no new SNP's found what does one do with your WTY data?

Any news on the Roche 454 testing? It seems like we are way off from when this will be available to the public for an affordable price. Anyone done participated in the early testing? I'd be interested to learn more. THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by KCWelch View Post
                I finally got into finch2. No new snp's for my account. Oh well! I did hear from FTDNA though and it doesn't appear if we ever get a formal interpretation since this is considered a "research project". From here I'm not sure what I do with the data. Does any one else know? If there are no new SNP's found what does one do with your WTY data?
                Hi KCWelch and thank you for doing the WTY. People like you help the Y-tree progress. I don't have access to Finch, but I've seen that some of gurus in my haplogroup project uses it to check for new SNPs in an existing WTY. So if a new SNP is found in your haplogroup, it might be possible for you to check yourself if you are positive or negative. Unfortunately, I don't know how.

-Kai

Comment

Working...
                X