How close a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close a match?

My husband has a 67 marker match, it's a 2 step match. I put my husband in this match's surname project. This particular match is also a match on the 37 marker and then on the 25 marker he's a one step match.

My question is: how close of a match might this gentleman be? He's not taken the FF test at all so that is out. I ask because my husband is adopted and out of his 67 markers - this one gentleman is his closest.

Originally posted by RondaMiller View Post
    how close of a match might this gentleman be?
    A Y-DNA match listed on your FTDNA page has a TiP icon next to it.

Clicking that for your close match should give a good estimate.

Since the matched person is adopted (assumed to mean without knowledge of his biological father), you should not increase the "1" in the box on the page.

Comment

Just did that - looks like we're looking at 10 generations back. This particular surname has a strong presence here where we live, so I am going to do more digging - it is possible I may have finally uncovered his birth name. I'll see where this leads too, thank you.

Comment

Look again... a 65/67 is AT MOST 10 generations. There was even a confirmed cases of a son 65/67 match with his biological father. Now that's very very rare but possible. Just for another comparison I have 5th cousin twice removed who matches me 66/67.

A 65/67 match for anyone adopted is like hitting the jackpot!! Congratulation and I wish you the best of luck find the match genealogically.

Comment

Thank you. A funny thing happened after I added his name to this surname group: it has a very nice Patriarch Listing, not all of the Patriarch's share the same haplogroup - I found a line of mine that of my 11th Great Grandfather.

It's a small world, you never know sometimes where you will find clues concerning family connections.

Comment

Hi all

I am new to this forum so I not sure if this is the right place for my article.

I have done a 37 marker and so far I am confirmed T1b ( L131+) and at the moment awaiting results for L446 SNP test.
            I have no matches at either 37 or 25 and only some very distant similar markers with about 9 people ( ususally alpine , southern germany or british isles), my ancestors come from NorthEast Italy.

The question are
            1 - should I upgrade to a 67 marker or is it a waste of time with my T marker.

2 - would doing an admixture test help to define possible relations via geography

regards

Comment

Working...
            X