Upgrade to 111 or deep clade test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to 111 or deep clade test

My main goal is to research my surname tree which ends in the year 1847.
    I currently have no matches within 2 steps at 37 or 67. Is there any benefit to upgrading to 111? It seems I would still be in the same boat. Someone mentioned that it give you clues to you what terminal SNP to order, how does that work?

Would it be more of a benefit for me to focus on deep clade testing instead? I was going to test but read in this forum to wait until the Haplotree updates.

Does anyone know when FTDNA will be updating their deep clade tests to include the new subclasses that the YCC have found?

thanks in advance

R1b1a2

Originally posted by Neves View Post
    I currently have no matches within 2 steps at 37 or 67. Is there any benefit to upgrading to 111? It seems I would still be in the same boat. Someone mentioned that it give you clues to you what terminal SNP to order, how does that work?

Would it be more of a benefit for me to focus on deep clade testing instead? I was going to test but read in this forum to wait until the Haplotree updates.

Does anyone know when FTDNA will be updating their deep clade tests to include the new subclasses that the YCC have found?

thanks in advance

R1b1a2
    I don't think the deep clade test is going to help you too much with surname tracing, unless you've got a situation where there's two clear groups in one surname?

As a sort of baseline, upgrading to 111 markers might mean that your data is there waiting for the next family person who tests to match solidly against?

Is there a surname project for your surname? Is the link to 1847 within the generational range that might benefit from trying family finder and the possibility of coming at the surname tree from side branches?

Comment

My vote would go to getting a deep clade followed by joining the associated project . 111 marker test can wait. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here - just 2 different approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Neves View Post
        There is nothing wrong with a 2 step match at either 37 or 67 markers. These are good, strong matches. Have any of these matches tested to 111? If they have you should also. If they haven't you won't see an immediate advantage but as another person suggested you doing so might encourage the others to do so also.

I don't think a Deep Clade or SNP testing will help with you goal. For your stated goal, I believe a strong Haplotype match is much more important than an exact Haplogroup match.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          For your stated goal, I believe a strong Haplotype match is much more important than an exact Haplogroup match.
          I agree with Jim, upgrade to 111 is very useful, especially for an R1b1a2 guy. And be sure you are in the R-P312 and Subclades haplogroup project, so you can compare it with whoever is close to you. Also the creaky, aged Ysearch is still useful, though you have to enter about the last 35 markers manually (it won't accept all 111). And your screen will tell you there was an error -- but there wasn't, and it's actually in there, if you entered it correctly.

Deep Clade, almost but not quite as obsolete as Ysearch, is a waste of time and money if you are in a haplogroup project with several thousand other people. Using colorized STR results (which take a long time to load), find the tested haplotype(s) closest to your own; check that person's FTDNA kit number against the SNP results (different from the STR results, and faster loading), and order an Advanced Test for his "terminal" SNP for $29. It's an educated guess, but most of the necessary education is built in, courtesy of your matching off-modal markers (pink or blue, in the colorized results).

Comment

I wouldn't say that Ysearch is obsolete yet, but it certainly is in dire need of an upgrade.

The current deep clade test is not very useful.

Rumor is that FTDNA will "deepen" the comparatively expensive deep clade test once the Rip Van Winkle Club, aka the YCC, gets around to publishing something that allows FTDNA to upgrade its own haplotree. At present the deep clade is way behind the action in R1b land and, as others have suggested, you can do better by taking an educated punt with single SNP tests based on how close your haplotype is to others whose subclade has been tested to a significant degree.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you consider determining at least if you are U106 or P312 to entitle you to join the associated project group. Both of those camps have good projects with experienced administrators and active memberships so, as a member, you can expect to be given good testing strategy guidance going forward.

(Note: The U106 Project Group doesn't accept those who are L1+ or U198+ as previously-established projects have first dibs on those.)

As for 111 markers, when FTDNA put it on sale a while back I decided to upgrade from 67 simply to get the STR testing over and done with. I'm glad I did as it's highlighted some markers that help cluster me with others.

Comment

Footnote to my previous: If you are interested, the 67 to 111 marker is currently on sale with $20 off if you order by July 15.

Comment

Working...
              X