Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25/25 same surname match - do we need to get 37 markers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25/25 same surname match - do we need to get 37 markers?

I have a match with someone of the same surname at 25/25 markers. My Ydna is R1a1a1g and the surname is Chylinski(Hilinski). I would think that means a close ancestor because the name is not common.

I also got a 36/37 match with someone of a completely different surname. I guess that means there was a name change or npe several generations back but I don't know for sure.

The other person only has 25 markers tested. Is a 25/25 marker match with an uncommon surname enough to be sure they are related or would it take 37 markers?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by brian87; 27 May 2012, 04:18 PM.

You could check your SNPs and see if they match.They are more reliable.

Originally posted by brian87 View Post
    I have a match with someone of the same surname at 25/25 markers. My Ydna is R1a1a1g and the surname is Chylinski(Hilinski). I would think that means a close ancestor because the name is not common.

I also got a 36/37 match with someone of a completely different surname. I guess that means there was a name change or npe several generations back but I don't know for sure.

The other person only has 25 markers tested. Is a 25/25 marker match with an uncommon surname enough to be sure they are related or would it take 37 markers?

Thanks,
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brian87 View Post

Thanks,
      Brian
      I think the rarity of the surname is a big factor in your favor here. The rarity of the haplotype would be another factor. Matching on some uncommon alleles would also be in your favor. One way to check that is to enter a query at SMGF http://smgf.org (using FTDNA as the lab standard). Your results page will have a column of purple squares If you have a particularly uncommon allele.

Comment

I don't know anything about the behavior of this clade. However, I'd not base any conclusions on less than 37 markers.

Dora

Comment

Working...
        X