Y-DNA and Family Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA and Family Finder

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Family Finder subforum, but its initial connection is with y-dna, so it goes here.

I just got some really good news via email: one of my closest 67-marker matches (64/67) just ordered the Family Finder test.

His surname is a variant spelling of my own: his is Stephens, mine is Stevens.

We can't make the paper trail connection. I can only get back to my 3rd great grandfather, Auguston Stevens, who was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1804, and he can only get back to 1789 and William Stephens, who was born in Caswell County, North Carolina.

I am guessing the mutual ancestor was probably an early English or Welsh immigrant to Virginia, but I don't know. Where I live (in Virginia) my county was just lousy with Stevens/Stephens during the 17th century. It would be funny if one of them turned out to be our immigrant ancestor.

I realize there are no guarantees that he and I will get an autosomal, Family Finder match just because we match on our y-dna.

But I have high hopes that we will and that such a match will give us a clue as to the time frame within which our mutual Stephens/Stevens y-dna ancestor lived.

I have already confirmed one match on Family Finder with a 6th cousin who shares with me a most recent common ancestor who was born in 1723, and I have heard of other folks who have made connections even further back in time.

How have the rest of you done connecting y-dna matches to Family Finder?

Had any luck?

yDNA & Family Finder matches

Another man and I match 67/67 on our yDNA. We don't match surnames or any connection we could find going back to the early 1800s.

Last year, we got the results of our Family Finder tests -- we match at the 3rd-5th cousin level. Just looking at averages, that could mean a common ancestor at the great-great-grandfather level. We share 47.74 total, 12.94 largest segment.

So we're related on the paternal side about four generations back but have no trace in the paper trails. Interestingly, our ancestors' families cross paths in the same south-west Pennsylvania region about the same time frame. Some sort of non-paternal event, but what kind? Could be hanky-panky, could be an unofficial adoption of a sister's orphaned child or any number of other possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by rewarren View Post
      Another man and I match 67/67 on our yDNA. We don't match surnames or any connection we could find going back to the early 1800s.

Last year, we got the results of our Family Finder tests -- we match at the 3rd-5th cousin level. Just looking at averages, that could mean a common ancestor at the great-great-grandfather level. We share 47.74 total, 12.94 largest segment.

So we're related on the paternal side about four generations back but have no trace in the paper trails. Interestingly, our ancestors' families cross paths in the same south-west Pennsylvania region about the same time frame. Some sort of non-paternal event, but what kind? Could be hanky-panky, could be an unofficial adoption of a sister's orphaned child or any number of other possibilities.
      I think that is pretty exciting. It gives you some leads to chase down and a time frame to narrow the search.

Of course, you still have some tough investigating to do, but you're not flying blind - not totally, at least.

Comment

I too am excited.

Hi, I too am excited about a possible positive outcome, because a chap that matched with my Son, up to the Y67 marker (still 3 steps away) has just done a Family Finder...... so looking forward to that result. It is so exciting, there is NO hiding, with this DNA testing.............Good luck to everyone. Julie.

Comment

How have the rest of you done connecting y-dna matches to Family Finder?
          As you know from previous posts I have had no luck with the Y. ( French L21)
          However I think I am a rare example of luck with mtDNA.
          I had only one match from a woman who lived in France. After emailing her I discovered she was born in Canada close to where my mother was born. By comparing family trees we discovered a common 9th grandmother who we both traced independently to a single village in France.
          Anyway congratulations and good luck! You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
            As you know from previous posts I have had no luck with the Y. ( French L21)
            However I think I am a rare example of luck with mtDNA.
            I had only one match from a woman who lived in France. After emailing her I discovered she was born in Canada close to where my mother was born. By comparing family trees we discovered a common 9th grandmother who we both traced independently to a single village in France.
            Anyway congratulations and good luck! You never know.
            That is something I have had absolutely no luck with: mtDNA. I have no matches of any kind at FTDNA.

I have had good success with both y-dna and Family Finder but zip with mtDNA.

Comment

Working...
            X