Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One match at a genetic distance of 1 for twelve marker test?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One match at a genetic distance of 1 for twelve marker test?

    I just got my twelve marker test results back and have only one match at a genetic distance of one. Based on what I've been reading here I was expecting many more than that.

    I uploaded to ysearch and at a max genetic distance of 2 I have 105 matches, 97 with a genetic distance of 2, seven with a genetic distance of 1 and 1 with a genetic distance of 0.

    So am I a mutant, or just confused?
    Last edited by 1_mke; 10 April 2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: Corrected info.

  • #2
    My one genetic distance zero match is on only 8 markers. To make things more interesting it is with a 2000 year old mummy found in Mongolia.

    XJQGS is my kit

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
      I just got my twelve marker test results back and have only one match at a genetic distance of one. Based on what I've been reading here I was expecting many more than that.

      I uploaded to ysearch and at a max genetic distance of 2 I have 105 matches, 97 with a genetic distance of 2, seven with a genetic distance of 1 and 1 with a genetic distance of 0.

      So am I a mutant, or just confused?
      Your pattern is not that unusual. It might simply be the result of a fairly recent mutation within your family. It could also depend on whether there has been sufficient testing of people from your region of origin.
      Last edited by josh w.; 10 April 2012, 10:53 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you Josh.

        I guess I'll have to wait for the rest of the results to get a better idea of what is going on. A couple of my first twelve markers are very unusual when I compare against people in the R1a1a project.

        Maybe 23andMe was off on my Y haplotype. My one match here shows as R1a1 so they were close if that is the case.

        Comment


        • #5
          All 12 maker markers that are not matches at more markers are completely worthless. They are long before surnames and often are not even a similar ethnic group.

          Just some general observations that may have a rare exception.

          25 marker matches are borderline useful with 37 marker matches usually reflecting the correct ethnic group or very similar ethnic group. 67 marker matches generally indicate a match in genealogical time.
          Last edited by thetick; 10 April 2012, 12:37 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Makes sense. I'm just hoping I have more matches at the higher levels. Right now things are looking a bit grim.

            Norway and Estonia are my best matches so far but that is based off a total of eleven samples, six of which match those two countries.

            Comment


            • #7
              I wouldn't put much emphasis on the 12 markers. I had 3 exact matches on Y-12 level, but 2 of them disappeared on Y-25 level and the same happened to most of my Y-12 -1 GD matches. Now I have only Y- 25 matches at genetic distance of -2. No Y-37 matches.

              Comment


              • #8
                Its more the thought of "Gee, if I only have ONE GD <=1 match at twelve markers,what are the odds I'll have any at higher levels"? that is concerning me.

                At the end of the day though its not that big a deal if I know where my 500x great grand father came from or who my 20x great grand father was.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
                  My one genetic distance zero match is on only 8 markers. To make things more interesting it is with a 2000 year old mummy found in Mongolia.
                  That's pretty cool!

                  I have four perfect matches at 12 markers, but they all either fall off at higher levels, or only tested to 12. The closest one is GD=2 at 25 and 4 at 37.

                  Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
                  Its more the thought of "Gee, if I only have ONE GD <=1 match at twelve markers,what are the odds I'll have any at higher levels"? that is concerning me.
                  The opposite can also happen. If you, or a potential match, has a mutation or two in the first 12 markers, they might not show up at that level, but be close enough to match at higher levels.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
                    Its more the thought of "Gee, if I only have ONE GD <=1 match at twelve markers,what are the odds I'll have any at higher levels"? that is concerning me.

                    At the end of the day though its not that big a deal if I know where my 500x great grand father came from or who my 20x great grand father was.
                    Your best hope is that more and more people will be tested at Ftdna or listed at Y Search.

                    Again, your pattern is not unusual. Due to a recent mutation, I have close to 100 exact 12 marker matches, but not one exact 25 marker match. It is mainly a matter of chance as to where the mutation was located.
                    Last edited by josh w.; 11 April 2012, 10:19 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It'll be interesting to see where all this leads.

                      I'm loving the whole genetic genealogy thing but it sure does have some ups and downs. So many interesting discoveries to be made. I'd had some pre conceived notions prior to this that are proving to be mostly wrong. Nothing major so far but I'm a long ways from the finish line.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        12 Marker Tests

                        I have four accounts and one has many matches at 12 some 1 or 2 distant. My question is why is a 12 marker test given if it is worthless if one has tested at a higher level and the 12 markers disappear at the higher level as most of mine have done, or even if they stay at 25 with distances but disappear at 37 . I understand that the 12 marker is all some people can afford but really, what good are they. I would think that a 25 marker at the price of the now 12 to start your Y's would be better . Lookin2

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lookin2 View Post
                          My question is why is a 12 marker test given if it is worthless if one has tested at a higher level and the 12 markers disappear at the higher level as most of mine have done, or even if they stay at 25 with distances but disappear at 37 . I understand that the 12 marker is all some people can afford but really, what good are they. I would think that a 25 marker at the price of the now 12 to start your Y's would be better . Lookin2
                          Historical reasons since there are a lot of people only tested at 12 markers. Also cheaper is always better especially for those who really don't understand what they are ordering.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Also, the test results for the Y come back in multiple parts. I'm testing to 67 but for now I only have the first twelve back since that test is much quicker.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lookin2 View Post
                              I have four accounts and one has many matches at 12 some 1 or 2 distant. My question is why is a 12 marker test given if it is worthless if one has tested at a higher level and the 12 markers disappear at the higher level as most of mine have done, or even if they stay at 25 with distances but disappear at 37 . I understand that the 12 marker is all some people can afford but really, what good are they. I would think that a 25 marker at the price of the now 12 to start your Y's would be better . Lookin2
                              Let's say you and a cousin - 1st, 2nd, doesn't matter - want to just verify you have the same (g)gf. You've already tested. Your cousin's 12 marker result while not being absolutely definitive if it were a match at 12 markers, would certainly be definitive in the negative. Why pay more for that?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X