Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

absolutely NO matches at any level (even 4 step distance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First match!!!

Today I had my first match and he shares also the same surname!!

If the paper trail is true our most recent common ancestor was Gottfried Völkner (born 14 Oct 1819 in Reddenau/East Prussia) and lived 6 generations ago. I don’t know much about mutation rates but is a genetic distance of 3 not a bit high in this case?

Our Y-Search Accounts: WMDCM and S5KX2; http://www.ysearch.org/research_comp...ld=mstegi+1658

Comment

Originally posted by Berliner View Post

If the paper trail is true our most recent common ancestor was Gottfried Völkner (born 14 Oct 1819 in Reddenau/East Prussia) and lived 6 generations ago. I don’t know much about mutation rates but is a genetic distance of 3 not a bit high in this case?

Our Y-Search Accounts: WMDCM and S5KX2; http://www.ysearch.org/research_comp...ld=mstegi+1658
      Good to hear you have made some progress.

I would say a Genetic Distance of 3 is acceptable, especially if you can connect to paper trail.

Mutation rates are based on the average rate, someone can have below average mutations for generations, fall in the average range, or fall into the above average range.

My line falls into the above average mutation rate. My father and his first cousin tested and they have a Genetic Distance of 4 since their common ancestor of their Grandfather. Based on surname group values, my father has 3 and his cousin has 1

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        Good to hear you have made some progress.

I would say a Genetic Distance of 3 is acceptable, especially if you can connect to paper trail.

Mutation rates are based on the average rate, someone can have below average mutations for generations, fall in the average range, or fall into the above average range.

My line falls into the above average mutation rate. My father and his first cousin tested and they have a Genetic Distance of 4 since their common ancestor of their Grandfather. Based on surname group values, my father has 3 and his cousin has 1
        Thank you! Okay I think I fall into the above average range then. We distinguish us in 389-II, 449 and CDYa and these markers are also referred to as fast mutation markers so that's not so unlikely. Does it mean I can feel reassured and the paper trail must be correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Berliner View Post

Great news indeed!

http://www.familytreedna.com/genetic...px?testtype=37

Also, go to your Y-DNA matches page and try the TiP tool report.

Comment

Working...
          X