No matches/haplogroup for Y-DNA 11 marker test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matches/haplogroup for Y-DNA 11 marker test

Just received my Y-DNA 11 marker tests. However, I can not see any matchtes or even my Haplogroup.

Noticed that in the FAQ section, one can change the setting in order to be linked with the entire database:

I can't find this section: I want my matches to be set against the entire database

Where can I change that??

For matches from the menu on the top of your MyFTDNA website pick "YDNA" --> "Matches"
    By default the "Show Matches For:" field has "The Entire Database" Don't forget to check 37,25 and 12 marker matches with the "Markers" field.

For your haplogroup from the menu on the top of your MyFTDNA website pick "YDNA" --> "Haplotree"

Comment

There is no match or even a haplogroup prediction.....it sounds very odd to me..Anyone with similar experience?

Comment

I have no matches at any level, except for a near match at 12 markers. My hap was not predicted either. I plugged it into that free hap calculator on a diff website (can't remember the name of it). I also am in the process of having more testing done (Deep Clade), and have joined several projects. Slowly but surely, I am getting more info from all of these actions. I also uploaded data to Ancestry, Ysearch and SMGF (sic?). I have "matches" at those other sites, but there are something like 25-35 generations away, so they are not helpful.

(I assume your key stuck, and you mean 111 matches)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeroens View Post
          There is no match or even a haplogroup prediction.....it sounds very odd to me..Anyone with similar experience?
          Are your results in? Were you able to follow my directions above? If so do you see the fields I stated?

Everyone with a YDNA gets a predicted haplogroup, no exceptions. What does that page I mentioned show? Note there may be some lag since FTDNA will test a special no additional charge backbone test to determine your haplogroup if one can not be determined from your markers.

No one here can help if you can't describe what you see. "There is no match or even a haplogroup prediction" does not allow anyone here to help you.

I suggest you hit the "Interactive Tour" button on the upper right of your myFTDNA website, so you can see examples of the relevant fields and data.
          Last edited by thetick; 15th February 2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
            Everyone with a YDNA gets a predicted haplogroup, no exceptions. What does that page I mentioned show? Note there may be some lag since FTDNA will test a special no additional charge backbone test to determine your haplogroup if one can not be determined from your markers.
            Well, everyone gets a *haplogroup* but not everyone gets a prediction So if he just today received his results, but there's no prediction, then he might just need to wait 24 hours for a prediction. Or, if his haplogroup can't be predicted, then it may take a few days for his free backbone test to get ordered.

Jeroens,

There are definitely cases where customers have no matches in the FTDNA database at the present time. This can happen if your paternal ancestry is from a population group that isn't well-represented in the FTDNA database, but it can also happen within a well-represented population simply by having rare results with no relatives (even distant ones) in the database yet. The fact that you both have no matches and no prediction implies that you have results that haven't been seen in the FTDNA database before.

As mentioned above, you will definitely get a free backbone SNP test if your haplogroup can't be predicted. And as Lincoln mentioned, you can use an online predictor in the meantime. Try out Whit Athey's predictor at http://www.hprg.com/hapest5/hapest5a/hapest5.htm

Once you know your haplogroup, you should consider joining the relevant haplogroup project to learn about how your own results fit in with the rest of your haplogroup.

Elise
            Last edited by efgen; 15th February 2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
              Well, everyone gets a *haplogroup* but not everyone gets a prediction
              I disagree. If you only have markers it is a haplogroup prediction even with 111 markers. Now granted one can be pretty sure which haplogroup with just markers especially with 111 but certainly not definite for example with R1b. If the original poster means 12 markers instead of 111 it's actually much more likely to need the backbone test get a predicted haplogroup. An SNP test is needed to prove a haplogroup. With just markers it's just a prediction, but it could have an extremely high confidence level.
              Last edited by thetick; 15th February 2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

It is not unusual for the Haplogroup prediction to be delayed for a few days. Sometime they have to run a Backbone test to determine the Haplogroup and this can take a few weeks. If they can't predict the Haplogroup the Backbone test is supposed to be automatic, but I had had to request it more than once. One way or the other you will get a Haplogroup as part of a Y-DNA12.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses. One more question. I can already see that there is some result in the family finder. The population finder shows 100% Malaysian (which might be true :-)) - is that just a default map? I haven't had the family finder results yet so I was quite surprised to see the map already.

Comment

The PF results have arrived before the matches in the past so that is expected. I don't think there is a default map and I highly would doubt it would be Malaysia if there was one.

Comment

I tried to predict my Haplogroup using the Athey's predictor. However, not quite sure whether the outcome makes sence. It gave a probability of 100% for Haplogroup Q.

In the Area Selection there is no possibility to select for example Africa, Asia or America...does that make sense.

Could anyone check my Haplgroup at Athey's predictor? My Ysearch ID is 977C4

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
                        I disagree. If you only have markers it is a haplogroup prediction even with 111 markers. Now granted one can be pretty sure which haplogroup with just markers especially with 111 but certainly not definite for example with R1b. If the original poster means 12 markers instead of 111 it's actually much more likely to need the backbone test get a predicted haplogroup. An SNP test is needed to prove a haplogroup. With just markers it's just a prediction, but it could have an extremely high confidence level.
                        Sorry, but several of these statements are not correct -- at least with respect to FTDNA's prediction system, which is what we're talking about here.

FTDNA's automated haplogroup predictions are done using 12 markers only. It doesn't matter if a person has tested the full 111 markers -- the prediction algorithm only uses the first 12.

If FTDNA's predictor can clearly and unambiguously predict the haplogroup through comparison of the first 12 markers with SNP-tested samples in the FTDNA database, then the prediction will be posted to the customer's Haplotree page.

If the predictor cannot clearly and unambiguously predict the haplogroup, then *no* predicted haplogroup gets posted, and the kit is submitted for a free backbone test via the SNP Assurance Program:

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...px?faqid=8#515

The backbone test is a SNP test, therefore it provides a *confirmed* haplogroup -- not a predicted haplogroup.

Customers with a predicted haplogroup have the phrase "My Predicted Haplogroup" on their Haplotree page.

Customers who had a backbone test have the phrase "My Confirmed Haplogroup" on their Haplotree page (once the test is complete).

Elise

Comment

I'm not talking about FTDNA's prediction , but ANY company that may sell markers and/or SNPs. This is important to FTDNA customers since results from other companies can be transferred. Any prediction is just using STRs which does not define a haplogroup. Only an SNP (backbone, deep clade or pick/choose SNPs that are positive) can define a haplogroup.

I'm sure you are probably right about FTDNA's prediction tool based on the FAQ since I don't have access to any more FTDNA prediction information.

Comment

I joined the Chinese project group. Although my Haplogroup type is currently being tested by Backbone testing, I can see in the project page that they already put me in the O2 (P31+ Probable M95+) group.

Is it possible that O2 (P31+ Probable M95+) is expected but a Backbone test is required to confirm this?

Comment

Hi Jeroens,

The volunteer project administrators placed you into that group. They were probably able to use your full 111 markers to predict that you will be O2. The backbone test is still needed for official confirmation.

Elise

Comment

Working...
                              X