Y-DNA Advanced Search - Last Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA Advanced Search - Last Name

In the new MyFTDNA interface, there is a problem with the Y-DNA Advanced Search.

There is a seach field that allows you to filter by surname.
    One might expect this to filter the match's surname, but it actually filters the "kit purchaser's" surname.

There is a subtle, but very important difference!
    Because not all Y-DNA kits are 'named' with the male who supplied the swab.
    (eg, a kit may be purchased for a male by his daughter, or his 3rd cousin twice removed, or even his next door neighbour, etc)
    You will never find these matches with the Y-DNA Advanced Search.

FTDNA should tag every Y-DNA test with the testee's surname, instead of the kit purchaser's surname.
    (and the normal rules of consent/disclosure would still apply)

Otherwise, FTDNA will need to explain the issue on the Y-DNA Advanced Seach page, or somewhere.

I assume (but do not know) that a similar issue applies for the mtDNA Advanced Search.

$0.02,
    Rod

ps, i have submitted a problem report for this, and will let you know how it pans out

There have never been separate fields for the tester name vs the kit contact name. So matching has always been this way -- it's nothing new. A person can change the name on the Contact Information page to whatever they want it to say.

Of course, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed I think it would definitely be an improvement to separate the tester's name from the contact's name.

Elise

Comment

Hi Elise,

I figured this surname filter was a NEW search feature, as I have not seen it before in Y-DNA matching.

Yes, a person can change the Contact Name in the Contact Information to be whatever they want.
      But there is no guideline/help for kit owners to set this Contact Name properly.
      Setting it properly is not so obvious for some users, as evidenced by some the strange/invented Contact Names that can be seen in unfiltered match results.

Cheers,
      Rod

Comment

Originally posted by flanged View Post
        I figured this surname filter was a NEW search feature, as I have not seen it before in Y-DNA matching.
        Well yes, the surname filter is new, but it can still only search on the information that has been entered for the kit, and that part hasn't changed

Originally posted by flanged View Post
        Yes, a person can change the Contact Name in the Contact Information to be whatever they want.
        But there is no guideline/help for kit owners to set this Contact Name properly.
        Setting it properly is not so obvious for some users
        I agree with you

Elise

Comment

Working...
        X