Ordering Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering Advice

I finally have a male cousin on my mom's side who's willing to take a Y-DNA test. He's willing to pay part of the cost, and my mom and I will split the difference. What's the best way to go about this? There's already an established surname project we'll be ordering through. Is it difficult to use the "General Fund" function in projects? Or is that dependent on the project administrator? If we order the test by invoice, will they ship the kit so he can send it in right away?

The project administrator has to approve the use of the funds. You should e-mail him/her and state why financial help is needed in order to have the test done - you don't have to get real personal, but enough to let them know it really will help. Kits won't be mailed until they're paid for, so if the admin approves funding, you'll either have to send in the balance or call the office to authorize a credit card payment for it. They'll ship it to whomever you tell them to.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
      Kits won't be mailed until they're paid for
      That's not correct. Kits are always mailed right away. If the completed kit is returned to the office and still not paid for, then it won't be sent to the lab for processing until full payment is made.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
        I finally have a male cousin on my mom's side who's willing to take a Y-DNA test. He's willing to pay part of the cost, and my mom and I will split the difference. What's the best way to go about this? There's already an established surname project we'll be ordering through. Is it difficult to use the "General Fund" function in projects? Or is that dependent on the project administrator? If we order the test by invoice, will they ship the kit so he can send it in right away?
        If I understand you correctly, you want to pay for the kit, in part and cousin will pay, in part. Easiest way would be for you and cousin to donate to general fund, telling administrator that the fund is for cousin and then order the kit. It is easy to do.

Comment

If you order the kit and request payment by invoice then each person can send in their check. Be sure to indicate the kit number the check is to be applied to.

Once the charges are paid in full the kit will be sent to the lab.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just going to order it on invoice and we'll each pay separately. I was actually surprised this issue wasn't addressed in the FAQ or elsewhere in the forum. Other posts alluded to it, but never explicitly told how they went about it.

Comment

Working...
            X