Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the FF test offer to the Y line that a normal YDNA test cannot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the FF test offer to the Y line that a normal YDNA test cannot?

I am trying to see if this is advantageous for anyone whose research is specific only to the Y line.

Cheers.

It depends on the meaning of ...

If you are only interested in finding males descended from your pure male line, FF is not very useful.

IF you are interested in descendants from that line from daughters, the FF will add that. Those lines might have something to add to the story. Or if you are interested in the wives along the pure male line, FF is also of interest.

If you are trying to find out who your father or grandfather was, FF could also help by identifying relatives other that the pure male line. In this case, FF can provide a much broader search, but less specific search, than Y chromosome alone.

John

Comment

FF can, however, be useful in ascertaining how close the supposed y-DNA matches actually are. Let's say you match 66/67 with someone. The MRCA could be quite recent, or several hundred year in the past. If both had taken FF & were showing as suggested 3rd or 4th cousins, you would know it really is recent, but if they are distant or don't even match on FF, you would know the y-MRCA had to be many centuries back.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Actually, it's only true in the affirmative case: If your y-DNA matches also shows up in FF, it will certainly help you locate your relationship in time. However, in the negative case, you really can't infer anything from that, except I guess it's very likely you're not 1st or 2nd cousins. Since the odds of FF seeing your relatedness drops off precipitously after 3rd or 4th cousins, it's really a crap shoot after that.

Which is why it is KILLING me that my one match on 23andMe who is also an N1c1 y-DNA like me WON'T ANSWER MY MESSAGES. DOOD - do you know how rare we are??

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
        FF can, however, be useful in ascertaining how close the supposed y-DNA matches actually are. Let's say you match 66/67 with someone. The MRCA could be quite recent, or several hundred year in the past. If both had taken FF & were showing as suggested 3rd or 4th cousins, you would know it really is recent, but if they are distant or don't even match on FF, you would know the y-MRCA had to be many centuries back.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
        X