Haplogroup I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup I

I have browsed around these boards and Haplogroup I is not widely discussed. The only in-depth discussion I have seen about this group is basically through Ken Nordtvedt.

According to Nordvedt, I am I1 (Norse)...I find the result unsatisfactory in relationship with the findings of the larger Haplogroup R.

Why is this group not explored any further?

I would like to use this thread to explore ideas, thoughts and information about the Haplogroup I.

Ritch

Originally posted by Ritch View Post
    I have browsed around these boards and Haplogroup I is not widely discussed. The only in-depth discussion I have seen about this group is basically through Ken Nordtvedt.

According to Nordvedt, I am I1 (Norse)...I find the result unsatisfactory in relationship with the findings of the larger Haplogroup R.

I would like to use this thread to explore ideas, thoughts and information about the Haplogroup I.

Ritch
    I'd swap a Norse for my brothers As Generic anyday...

A match with anyone at any level would also be great.

Haplogroup I unfortunately has not been as lucky with SNPs and more definable clades as R.

Comment

When I visited this link just last week, http://forums.familytreedna.com/foru...?s=&forumid=90 ; it had numerous posts over a couple of years, now it is blank. I'm scratching my head. *blink blink* I had wanted to take my time and read the threads when I had more time.

Both Rootsweb discussion groups and archives are no longer functioning as well. As a volunteer with Rootsweb since '97, I know this organization is now owned and run by Ancestry, so the material is lost in cyberspace.

And I copied and pasted some great info last week with links on yDNA Haplogroup I: Subclade I1, Project Background; but it is missing as well. If you've an email address - whisper it to me - and I send the long message with links. It will keep you busy for months.

We can hope everything will reappear.

Ritch

Comment

Here's an interesting thread:

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=11643

Comment

Originally posted by Krootie View Post
          I think FTDNA purchased some more powerful computer/web-server equipment. For the last 13 months, I have rarely had problems downloading the whole results table. The year before that, I usually had problems, and many other people were complaining about the same issue.

There is an email list to discuss I1, I2a, & I2b.
          "send an email to [email protected] with the word 'subscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message"

Comment

Ritch
            Too many people have been put down and slapped in the face by the folks that know I1 the best.

Other haplogroups have interested folks that don't get slapped down with rude comments every other minute.

Comment

As a possible alternative/additional source of information, have you looked at:

http://dna-forums.com/index.php?/for...logroup-y-dna/

Until recently, Ken used to post on DNA Forums as user "Reality".

Comment

Thanks - great link. As for the rude people - they are unfortunately on all forums.

Originally posted by gtc View Post

Comment

Lack of matching with location/individuals

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
                  I'd swap a Norse for my brothers As Generic anyday...

A match with anyone at any level would also be great.

Haplogroup I unfortunately has not been as lucky with SNPs and more definable clades as R.
                  I just got back my deep clade testing, so I have a confirmed (sub)haplogrouping of I1d (L21+ P109-) and my matches at 67 is one person with a genetic distance of 2 (not much of a surprise considering he is my fifth cousin). My matches at 37 markers are 29 (between 2 and 4 genetic distance) and half of them are Chisholm.

It appears to me that more attention has been paid to the R's because they are the most numerous in Europe. There is more of a market for new discoveries in R's. With all the different designations of I1's (N, ND, uN, ND, AS, etc.), it would lead one to the conclusion there is a lot more just on the surface to be found.

Comment

Information under/overload

Originally posted by Krootie View Post
                    When I visited this link just last week, http://forums.familytreedna.com/foru...?s=&forumid=90 ; it had numerous posts over a couple of years, now it is blank. I'm scratching my head. *blink blink* I had wanted to take my time and read the threads when I had more time.

Both Rootsweb discussion groups and archives are no longer functioning as well. As a volunteer with Rootsweb since '97, I know this organization is now owned and run by Ancestry, so the material is lost in cyberspace.

And I copied and pasted some great info last week with links on yDNA Haplogroup I: Subclade I1, Project Background; but it is missing as well. If you've an email address - whisper it to me - and I send the long message with links. It will keep you busy for months.

We can hope everything will reappear.
                    [email protected] is my email.

I will check out the links to see if they are up and working again.

I have read some of the Rootsweb material. I used some of it for compare/contrast and .xls worksheets that were set up. It appears that there are too many studies that are going on which would probably serve the community better if the information was under one roof and all euthanists and experts would get a crack at it.

I agree it is a lot of information to digest. I think what a lot of people want to know is: what does their y-DNA findings mean overall, what does their sub-haplo mean, which combination of alleles are noteworthy and which alleles carry more weight than others. FTDNA seems to treat them as equals in their comparisons, which we know is not necessarily the case.

I1d (L21+ P109-) Norse

393 390 19(394) 391 385a/385b 426 388 439 389-1 392 389-2
                    13 23 14 10 (14 14) 11 14 11 12 11 28

458 459a/459b 455 454 447 437 448 449 464a/464b/464c/464d
                    15 (8 9) 8 11 23 16 20 27 (12 14 15 16)

460 GATAH4 YCAIIa/YCAIIb 456 607 576 570 CDYa/CDYb 442 438
                    11 10 (19 21) 14 14 17 21 (34 37) 12 10

531 578 395S1a/395S1b 590 537 641 472 406S1 511
                    11 8 (15 15) 8 11 10 8 9 10

425 413a/413b 557 594 436 490 534 450 444 481 520 446
                    12 (23 25) 16 10 12 12 15 8 13 26 20 12

617 568 487 572 640 492 565
                    13 11 12 11 12 12 11

Comment

Rudeness

Originally posted by rucksack View Post
                      Too many people have been put down and slapped in the face by the folks that know I1 the best.

Other haplogroups have interested folks that don't get slapped down with rude comments every other minute.
                      I have seen this on many boards. I think there is a frustration between the old-timers and newbies. This could be helped out be a general FYI page that tries to address many of the questions that newcomers to their DNA journey might have. Then there are trolls and insecure pseudo-intellectuals...I have left some forums because it is simply not worth my time to wade through the nonsense. I have to say, so far/so good with most people on FTDNA. I hope it remains so.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post

Good suggestion, I did join DNA Forum awhile back, but did not have anything to add until recently with my own findings.

Comment

L21+ =I1d?

"I1d (L21+ P109-) Norse"

Can this be possible? I am wondering if I missed something, so my question begs nothing but pure intentions.

Cheers.

Comment

L22+=I1d

"I1d (L22+ P109-) Norse"
                            Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                            "I1d (L21+ P109-) Norse"

Can this be possible? I am wondering if I missed something, so my question begs nothing but pure intentions.

Cheers.

Comment

OP needs to fix that!

Originally posted by s trangsrud View Post
                              "I1d (L22+ P109-) Norse"
                              It's an egregious error.

Comment

Working...
                              X