bad DNA sample?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad DNA sample?

Has anyone had trouble updating their DNA? The first test I ordered was for 25 marker YDNA and HVR1 and 2, the turn around time on this test was fine. The first upgrade I requested a year later was for a refined MtDNA of my H Haplogroup. The first round of tests did not yield any results but they repeated it with success. My next upgrade, which was ordered in January, was to upgrade the Y DNA to 67 markers. This test is done in 3 panels. The first panel yielded results with the first run, the other 2 panels did not so they repeated it. On the next round of testing the second panel was successful while the third one did not returned results. They are now repeating the third panel. It is taking forever. I was wondering if I should request that FTDNA accept a new swab and replace it with the current one as they always have problems with it. This is my brothers sample and more than likely I will want more upgrades, no one knows what will happen with future test requests or the availability of getting a replacement sample in the event that my brother can not replace it. Suggestions?

You can email them about it. If they are having problems getting anything from the old swabs and the dna they already have then they would have sent you new swabs, or will send you new swabs eventually.

I had a similar situation. The dna swabs they had from me (A & B) from the genographic project that yielded my H result was useless when I later ordered the H subclade and CCR5 tests. They eventually sent me three (C, D, & E) new swabs to use and send back. I was in Batch 212 & 213, and later 221.

It can't hurt to email them. If you want to send them extra swabs, just in case, for the future, then you can ask and see what they say.
    Last edited by rainbow; 10 May 2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I have not, so far as I know, had any failed tests, but have, as most of us have, received various results after waiting various lengths of time - on some occasions the lab has been quick and on others slow. But, while that uncertainty can be frustrating it is no cause for worry. (Of course, one hates to see the family DNA behaving badly).

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
        I have not, so far as I know, had any failed tests, but have, as most of us have, received various results after waiting various lengths of time - on some occasions the lab has been quick and on others slow. But, while that uncertainty can be frustrating it is no cause for worry. (Of course, one hates to see the family DNA behaving badly).
        Not only is the family DNA acting badly it is actually failing to perform on tests and has to retake them again and again. I notice some family traits.

Comment

Working...
        X