Shot in the dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot in the dark

I've had myself, my brother and father do YSTR tests this year, but I don't think I've seen anything that I can derive a strong conclusion from yet.

I have a handfull of low-resolution matches with people of different surnames from the central highlands of Scotland. But my brother actually has a larger # of low-res matches who claim English origin. I don't know if that means much, though, given the low-resolution and the higher population density in England. And I suspect that this high # of English matches are in fact close relations, who may be skewing the picture a bit.

So while I'm playing the waiting game, I've taken a closer look at discrete segments of my Y haplotype. I think my values for 447, 437 and 448 seem kinda distinctive, and I was wondering if anyone out there can comment on any potential significance?

447 437 438
    26 14 18

Thanks.

Jack
    Ysearch ID: QPQGP

Relevant Context

I suppose it may be appropos to mention that I've been SNP tested as undifferentiated R1b1c. M173+ M207+ M269+ M343+ P25+ M126- M153- M160- M18- M222- M37- M65- M73- P66- SRY2627-

I think the 447-437-448 values discussed below are probably fairly typical within I and J and various subclades, but relatively rare within R1b1c.

Have a good one.

Originally posted by Clochaire
    I've had myself, my brother and father do YSTR tests this year, but I don't think I've seen anything that I can derive a strong conclusion from yet.

I have a handfull of low-resolution matches with people of different surnames from the central highlands of Scotland. But my brother actually has a larger # of low-res matches who claim English origin. I don't know if that means much, though, given the low-resolution and the higher population density in England. And I suspect that this high # of English matches are in fact close relations, who may be skewing the picture a bit.

So while I'm playing the waiting game, I've taken a closer look at discrete segments of my Y haplotype. I think my values for 447, 437 and 448 seem kinda distinctive, and I was wondering if anyone out there can comment on any potential significance?

447 437 438
    26 14 18

Thanks.

Jack
    Ysearch ID: QPQGP

Comment

Here are your Ysearch neighbors:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_result...matches_max=14

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by lgmayka
        Thanks, Igmayka. By taking a quick look at the UK 1891 census distribution maps for these surnames, I see that my surname, and 4 of the 5 neighbors on your ysearch list, cluster around the North England counties of York and Lancashire.

None of thes ysearch matches are terribly close, but maybe I should be thinking how I can direct my molecular genealogy search towards these counties.

Thanks again.

Jaack

Comment

Working...
        X