Refining my Y DNA test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refining my Y DNA test

Orignially posted on Genographic forum, but posting here to see if anyone else can help?

Hi, my name is Hando and I am new to the world of Genomes/DNA I was wondering if you could possibly help me? I would really appreciate this as I am new to all this.

I took the Genographic test and got my YDNA results back as Haplogroup 02. This is nothing new to me. I know I am Korean and both my parents, g parents, ggparents etc are Korean. All that the Genogpraphic test told me was that 30,000 years ago a man in Siberia was my ancestor.

This is too obvious and basic.
    I want to know if there were any other ancestors apart from my 30,000 yo Siberian ancestor in my Y DNA.

For example, I have been told that circa 2000 years ago, my ancestors may have been part of the founders of the Silla Dynasty, which may have been Scythians.

http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/...ight=huns+korea

Are there any tests that can show me if this is true? Are there tests that can show me that apart from my YDNA Haplogroup 02 from 30,000, I had more recent male or female ancestors who came from other parts of the world, such as central asia, europe, africa etc?
    Basically, these would be way after 30,000 and more like 3000, 2000, 1000 etc years ago. And where they originated from?
    Knowing that I had a Siberian ancestor from 30,000 simply isnt enough for me. I want to know more about other ancestors originating from other places and times.

The Genogrpahic Y-DNA test could only identify 1 ancestor (Haplo 02) from Siberia about 30,000 years ago. But this is only just one ancestor and far too distant for me.

I am looking for some kind of test that can identify several other ethnicities (such as the Scythian intruders to Korea 2000 years ago, Huns/HsuingNu 1000 years ago etc) from various other areas of the world and eras.

I hear talk about Tribes DNA being able to give a break down such as 87% European 13% Amerindian etc. Or such tests such as;

Ethnoancestry.com (Does deeper levels of Haoplgroup O)
    YSTR27 TEST

http://www.ethnoancestry.com/Manchu.html

Haploview Test
    http://www.ethnoancestry.com/haploview.htm

YSTR45 TEST
    http://www.ethnoancestry.com/STR45.htm

Are these tests what I am looking for or are there others that can help me?

Thank you
    Hando

Hello Hando,

I assume you have only 12 marker results since you tested with National Genographic. I would recommend expanding your testing beyond that to at least 25 or more markers. Twelve markers is not enough to get more specific with your ancestry outside of haplogroup O2. You should also post your results at www.ysearch.org and check your closest matches from time to time. You can also check matches at www.yhrd.org to give you clues to what populations your Y-DNA matches. Personally, I have not researched haplogroup O2 so I can't tell you anything about it's history or migrations and connection with various cultures and peoples. It will take a lot of research on your part to find the clues to narrow things down further but you need to expand your testing to find meaningful matches. Maybe someone more familiar with O2 can help with this.

Comment

Hi Hando,

I agree with RealDealT that you should get more Y markers tested and join a project to compare yourself with other O2s.

I would not recommend autosomal tests (other than just for fun!). Neither DNATribes nor ABDNA are reliable at this time. Unfortunately, many people are now researching "family histories" based on misleading information from autosomal results. Based on my DNATribes results, I personally should be climbing Everest to find my relatives, despite conventional genealogy having all of my known ancestors living within 100 miles of each other in The Netherlands and Germany since at least 1500 CE. Silly!

Focus on Y-DNA and mtDNA results and they should give you a general indication of where at least some of your ancestors came from in a more recent timeframe than the Genographic Project.

But beware! Testing is addictive.

John

Comment

Hi RealDeal and John, thank you for your recommendations and advice!
        I will not puchase the Tribes DNA, Ethnoancestry DNA etc, as you recommend against them due to innacuracies.
        That meakes things a bit easier for me since I know I can take them off the "to do" list.

John, you said you can trace your ancestry to NW Germanic Europe back to at least 1500 CE.

How were you able to find such a relatively "recent" date? That is exactly what I want to do. You see, all I get from Geno is an Haplo 02 ancestor who lived in Siberia 30,000 years ago! That is too far in the past. I too am looking for info regarding my ancestors in the thousands of years just like you have been able to do. Not in the tens of thousands.
        Were you able to get that info from doing more specific YDNA and MtDNA tests?

I want to find out about ancestors from say 2000 years ago. Perhaps I have Hunnish/HsuingNu DNA, because in my family we have been told we were part of the Silla Dynasty, which may have been founded by HsuingNu. And this was about 2000 years ago. These are the things I am looking for apart from my 30,000 Haplogroup 02 ancestry.
        Last edited by Hando; 28 November 2007, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hando
          Hi RealDeal and John, thank you for your recommendations and advice!
          I will not puchase the Tribes DNA, Ethnoancestry DNA etc, as you recommend against them due to innacuracies.
          That meakes things a bit easier for me since I know I can take them off the "to do" list.

John, you said you can trace your ancestry to NW Germanic Europe back to at least 1500 CE.

How were you able to find such a relatively "recent" date? That is exactly what I want to do. You see, all I get from Geno is an Haplo 02 ancestor who lived in Siberia 30,000 years ago! That is too far in the past. I too am looking for info regarding my ancestors in the thousands of years just like you have been able to do. Not in the tens of thousands.
          Were you able to get that info from doing more specific YDNA and MtDNA tests?

I want to find out about ancestors from say 2000 years ago. Perhaps I have Hunnish/HsuingNu DNA, because in my family we have been told we were part of the Silla Dynasty, which may have been founded by HsuingNu. And this was about 2000 years ago. These are the things I am looking for apart from my 30,000 Haplogroup 02 ancestry.
          I was born in The Netherlands and have used conventional paper methods using various official registries to find most of my ancestors going back to 1650 and many others going back to the 15th century.

With DNA, I have 5 HRV1 matches using mtDNA, but none of those people are related to me in the past 500 years so far as we can tell. I have almost 800 matches at the 12 marker Y-DNA level, but only one match (other than my father) appears to be a relative in the last 500 years. We currently match on about 50 of 54 markers that we have in common and I am waiting for the remainder of my 67 marker test results to see if we are a 63/67 match. This other person is from The Netherlands as well, which would certainly make sense given my conventional efforts to locate ancestors.

You may have similar luck testing more markers in finding long-lost relatives or at least the location where your haplotype is most prevalent. At the current time, Y-DNA is still the best was to locate "recent" ancestors as mtDNA seems to mutate more slowly.

Good luck!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
            At the current time, Y-DNA is still the best was to locate "recent" ancestors as mtDNA seems to mutate more slowly.

Good luck!

John
            John, thank you for those words. For a newbie like me, this was easier to understand than the other technical terms. As I am looking for "recent" ancestors (ie 2000 years ago etc) I suppose I will rely more on Y DNA than on MtDNA. I finally seem to be getting somewhere.
            Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X