Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y Matches from wrong continent

Hi everyone,

The Big-Y I'm waiting for just got delayed another couple weeks (batch 1125), I'm hoping it will give more insight. Until then I wondered if anyone could help me understand how it is this kit I manage has two exact matches at 25 for people tracing back to Ireland when I can paper trace this male line back to the 1690's in eastern France? Next level matches are 67 markers at GD 7, one from a different part of France, but zero surname matches at any marker level. I tried searching FF and Y-DNA combined matches, only get about six at the 12 marker level in FF, most of them seem of Irish decent too, a couple from Quebec, totally different surnames ... Any ideas?

Y25 matches can be very old even if they are GD 0. If those people have done higher level tests and they don't match in those tests, it just means that they have plenty of different mutations, but not in the first 25 markers.

GD 7 at Y67 sounds quite distant too, it can easily be more distant than 1690 (although sometimes it can be relatively close).

I believe that combining Y-DNA matches with FF matches is useful only if you have quite close Y-DNA matches. I had similar confusing case with one of my mtDNA matches: She is paternally related in FF, but you can only get mtDNA from your mother. In this case the match was probably very distant.

My Big-Y is in batch 1125 too, I'm in the same boat.

Comment

Thanks for that! Hopefully batch 1125 isn't too long delayed.

Comment

Results from Y DNA testing vary tremendously. Some men end up in a group of matches who almost all have the same surname. Others end up in a group withs many different surnames, which suggests (to me at least) that the pattern of STR's and/or SNP's for that group must have been established before permanent, patrilineal surnames became fashionable in whatever region your ancestors came from. (The date when surnames became permanent and were used as many of us expected in the 20th Century varies a lot: In some areas permanent surnames were in use and have continued to be used into modern times, as early as the 14th Century. In other regions or cultures, this didn't happen until the 19th Century. And not everyone has followed the prevailing norms for the use of surnames. Surnames have changed repeatedly, for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with questionable paternity or evading one's past.)

For me, falling into the category of no good matches with my surname, Big Y proved very helpful: It demonstrated conclusively that my Y chromosome doesn't match any of the other McCoy families who have been tested, and that means I can safely ignore their genealogies, because they clearly aren't mine! Instead, I ended up on a little twig, not very well sampled, with a mix of other Scottish surnames.

Comment

Working...
        X