60 No Calls on Y-STR values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 No Calls on Y-STR values

Just got my big Y test results back and confused by them. Was told that I was H-Z13997 group and could not find anything about this subgroup. Not sure which haplogroup forum to even join.
    What's even stranger is that there are "no calls" on 60+ of my Y-STR values. How is that possible for so many of them. My tests were delayed 5 times due to COVID and now it seems large portion of my Y-STR values are missing.

Interesting. Only a couple examples on YFull. Indian?

https://www.yfull.com/tree/H-Z13969/

Note, you might have to hover over the field reading "+39 SNPs" in order to see that Z13997 is part of the block named Z13969.

Comment

Originally posted by benowicz View Post
      Interesting. Only a couple examples on YFull. Indian?

https://www.yfull.com/tree/H-Z13969/

Note, you might have to hover over the field reading "+39 SNPs" in order to see that Z13997 is part of the block named Z13969.
      I had no idea it would be Indian.I'm most of African and European heritage but who know's what lurks around a family tree. I don't even know what haplogroup forum that I can join.
      Could find nothing about my subgroup its like its non-existent. Quite frustrating as not sure where to turn. But isn't it weird to have so many "no call's on Y-STR or is that normal?

Comment

Maybe it's a newly discovered subclade. Sucks not to have any info. But then again maybe you could look at it like you're a pioneer? We know there are at least two other donors who are Z13997+. Maybe join YFull, too, and see if you can get in touch with them to do a project? If nothing else, you could work on estimating a TMRCA, to kind of put things in historical context.

I bet the H project guys could help you.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

Maybe someone at the company can help on the STR issue. I don't have much idea myself.

https://www.familytreedna.com/contact
        Last edited by benowicz; 14 October 2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Y111 are the most important STR and you have calls on all of them.

There is a reason why the name of Big Y is BigY-700. You get calls for at least 700 STRs or more ( including the 111). If you have a call on at least 700 STR, then it looks normal.

Comment

Yes; that is a lot of missing STRs.

I see on the FTDNA YTree that immediately upstream of H-Z13997 is the SNP H-APT
            H-APT is be dated to about 24,000 years ago on the Indian subcontinent.

Downstream of H-APT are 4 clads:
            H-P194 ~800 years old
            H-P266 ~800 years old (Indonesia)
            H-P80 ~1100 years old, but with another SNP: H-B375 downstream.
            H-P13997 ~800 years old

It is exceptional for their to be a such a long gap between 24,000 years to 800 years.
            Dating of SNP is difficult. STRs are better for dating, but with so many missing, there are limitations.
            So, the 800 - 1100 year age could be off significantly.

Only 11 descendants of H-APT on SNP tracker site.
            I'm sure there are many more living relatives, but few have tested and uploaded their results.

Comment

The very small number of recent nodes in the H haplotree, as mentioned by Andrew Ross, suggests to me that very few samples from this group have been analyzed with Big-Y or similar technology. But the fact of belonging in the H branch certainly adds a new twist to your genealogy. A personal mystery about your patrilineal ancestry that could lead you to some very interesting discoveries! Best of luck with your research!

Comment

Working...
              X