How far is recent ancestor for 12 marker exact match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far is recent ancestor for 12 marker exact match

If i have an exact 12 marker match with someone, how far the common ancestor would be?

https://www.familytreedna.com/faq-markers.aspx

According to the above site, it means that there is a 95% probability that the ancestor is no longer than 29 generations and by 29 generation i guess they mean 1000 to 1500 years. Is this assessment correct or not​​​​​​​

Look immediately beneath your match's name and click on the orange "TiP" icon.

Comment

I match 62 of 67 markers with another individual who shares my surname "Schroeder". When Tom Caulley, the project administrator for the Schroeder genealogy Facebook group, kindly ran a TMRCA analysis it turned out to be 550 years - shown below. My question is can a percentage be assigned to the TMRCA, like 1%, 2%, etc.? In other words if the TMRCA is 1000 years, then a 1% accuracy would correspond to a range of 990 to 1010 years in the past. Sorry, if this is slightly off topic being 67 markers instead of 12, but it seemed to be the closest relevant thread to my question.

http://caulleyscorner.com/SchroederP...X97R-7GMLRAy0E

Comment

Not even worth thinking about.

However, you might ask what level the individual tested at? If both of you tested at say Y-37 and the match drops out, forget about it double time.

Comment

Originally posted by hussainr565 View Post
          If i have an exact 12 marker match with someone, how far the common ancestor would be?
          Please tell us two things. (1) How many markers have you tested? (2) How many markers has the match tested? Below the match's name you'll see Y-DNA?? where ?? is the number of markers tested by the match.

Comment

If they don't match at higher level, it may be just a coincidence and your common ancestor may have lived thousands of years ago. I have such 12 marker matches.
            (This is an old post, but it may be interesting to people)

Comment

Working...
            X