X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bartarl260
    replied
    Originally posted by gattaca View Post
    You have some good matches. Level 0 at y67 and their earliest ancestor is few centuries ago. It seems that your matches were more that just curious about their ancestry.
    Better results than I can reasonably expect to find, I'm at GD2 with my father by the Y37 panel(autosomal testing makes it clear he is my father). So seeing someone that isn't a sibling or some flavor of Nephew or child/grandchild turning up as GD0 for me would be an anomaly in and of itself.

It depends on what is your budget and how much you want to know more.

The best will be to take the Big Y test if you can. What are the advantages? It is possible to find something that will direct you in the right direction. Also many matches are waiting for others to test first. If nobody tests because the others didn't, nobody will advance. New matches will also look if others did test at Big Y level. If others did then they will be more likely to upgrade.
    Indeed, the SNPs are likely to tell far more of a story than the STR results ever can on their own, but the STRs are better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• gattaca
    replied
    Do you have any autosomal matches with the surname Parker / Edmundson / Pollard ?

Leave a comment:

• gattaca
    replied

You have some good matches. Level 0 at y67 and their earliest ancestor is few centuries ago. It seems that your matches were more that just curious about their ancestry.

It depends on what is your budget and how much you want to know more.

The best will be to take the Big Y test if you can. What are the advantages? It is possible to find something that will direct you in the right direction. Also many matches are waiting for others to test first. If nobody tests because the others didn't, nobody will advance. New matches will also look if others did test at Big Y level. If others did then they will be more likely to upgrade.

Another thing is to search for information about their earliest ancestor. You can google it or search on ancestry or myheritage about them.

After you did the Big Y and you did a minimum search about their earliest ancestor, you can send them an email asking if they know something more. You can also remind them that you did Big Y test and let them know that if they can afford to test it too, then it will help you both

If you email them, don't be the first to mention about the possibility of a NPE, at least not in the first or second email.

Leave a comment:

• bniknar
    started a topic Y67 Matches and NPE

Y67 Matches and NPE

Hello,

I'm tracing my paternal line (Rankin). Some background information:
    • I am HaploGroup R-M269 - per the Y111 test
    • I've joined the Rankin project
    • I do not have a match to any of the Rankin lines in the Rankin project. On paper I can trace my Rankins back to one Rankin who emigrated to Ohio in the early 1800s (not sure where from, it's a brick wall). Could be an NPE here as I expected that I was genetically related to a Rankin line in Ireland or PA, but not so! Of course it's possible I'm in an unknown Rankin line but my gut says No, we have an NPE here.
    Matches: none at 111, several at 67. This is where I need help: how to interpret these results? The matches at 67:
    Genetic distance Earliest Known Ancestor
    0 Parker 1894
    0 Edmundson 1804
    0 Pollard 1773
    1 Parker 1585
    What's the next steps or best practices on using the above data? Is there a cookbook approach to figuring out the NPE details? Do I need to additional tests? How do I reconcile being paternally descended from Parker / Edmundson / Pollard (or am I)?

Thank you.
Working...
X