Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you interpret these results for my Y matches & what next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you interpret these results for my Y matches & what next ?

I have just got my Y67 to Y111 upgraded results through and am awaiting Big Y in batch 1017. I have been reading up on false matches, NPE's and what GD means so I take it as I could be related to those Franklins going way back or they could be related closer! I am in the Franklin surname project & 'R-U198 and subclades' project grouped in 'likely to test positive for FGC12307' based on my Y & autosomal test.

I have 0 matches at Y111

I have paperwork to 2xG GF ..

How would you interpret these results for my Y matches & what next ?

I have shown all of my matches @ Y67 and all of my Franklin matches in this table ...

Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 18.34.07.png

This reflects the problem of GD calculations with below 67 marker samples. but there definitely appears to be a VA-to-KY nexus of men who might share a common ancestor with you. It is hard for anyone here to answer such a question without seeing the genealogical side of the research, genetics by themselves are not the whole picture. The haplo admins for R might be able to help, but there is a gigantic pool of haplogroups from R. Specific SNP testing for R men is very often suggested.
    Also, you should realize that the GD for the 37 and above markers are much more accurate, and that getting a larger GD (7 instead of 0 or 1) gives a more encouraging age estimate to a conjectured past ancestor, whatever surname he might have used.

Comment

If you look closely at the results you presented, you can see that most of the Franklin matches fell apart at higher STR levels. By themselves, these results are not likely to be very helpful in a genealogical context. Since you don't have an unambiguous result from the STR tests, it is best to wait for the SNP results from the Big Y test, which will place you in a clear context, on some particular twig of the Y haplotree, and will show you who matches you on or near that particular twig. Anybody who has Big Y results and who isn't on or very near your Y haplotree twig, isn't a close patrilineal relative!

Comment

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
        This reflects the problem of GD calculations with below 67 marker samples. but there definitely appears to be a VA-to-KY nexus of men who might share a common ancestor with you. It is hard for anyone here to answer such a question without seeing the genealogical side of the research, genetics by themselves are not the whole picture. The haplo admins for R might be able to help, but there is a gigantic pool of haplogroups from R. Specific SNP testing for R men is very often suggested.
        Also, you should realize that the GD for the 37 and above markers are much more accurate, and that getting a larger GD (7 instead of 0 or 1) gives a more encouraging age estimate to a conjectured past ancestor, whatever surname he might have used.
        Yup, this result is not helping me much .... I'll see what the Big Y throws up. Interesting that the matches are USA whereas my first known is in Ireland and the Y67 names are mostly old english.
        Last edited by IN63554; 23rd November 2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
          If you look closely at the results you presented, you can see that most of the Franklin matches fell apart at higher STR levels. By themselves, these results are not likely to be very helpful in a genealogical context. Since you don't have an unambiguous result from the STR tests, it is best to wait for the SNP results from the Big Y test, which will place you in a clear context, on some particular twig of the Y haplotree, and will show you who matches you on or near that particular twig. Anybody who has Big Y results and who isn't on or very near your Y haplotree twig, isn't a close patrilineal relative!
          Pretty much what I had concluded ... lets see what's comes up next

Comment

Working...
          X