YDNA 67: sure or probable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YDNA 67: sure or probable?

Please, I got a 2 GD match at YDNA 67. Haplogroup R-M269. 15 generations: 99.19 %; 24 generations: 99.99 %. Could I be sure that the match and I have a real common ancestor? Or is just a probability? Thanks.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...s-interpreted/
    GD1 or 2:
    A 65/67 or 66/67 match between two men who share the same surname (or a variant) indicates a close relationship. It is most likely that they matched 36/37 or 37/37 on a previous Y-DNA test. Very few people achieve this close level of a match. All confidence levels are well within the time frame that surnames were adopted in Western Europe.
    It still is a probability until you test to even higher levels at much deeper degrees of detail. It is a pretty safe bet you're related within a time frame that a paper trail is likely to exist in some form. Barring a NPE.

But the probabilities (from that test alone) run anywhere from him being your father, your brother, or even your own descendant, up through his being a Nth Cousin. Where "N" could potentially get into the double digits.

An autosomal test will either rule out or rule in his being a reasonably close relative, as his absence from your atDNA matchlist tends to say it's further back than at least 4 generations. If he is on your matchlist, the amount of common atDNA will suggest the likely relationship range he should fall in.

Of course, he could be both an atDNA match and a Y-DNA 67-STR match, but the atDNA is coming from another family line(or lines) entirely.

Comment

Thanks bartarl260. I tested until 111, but that match didn't. Both tested FamilyFinder- atDNA: no relationship. Sure, if we have a common ancestor, our gggggg?grandfather lived some centuries before present time.

Comment

Originally posted by EdQu View Post
        Thanks bartarl260. I tested until 111, but that match didn't. Both tested FamilyFinder- atDNA: no relationship. Sure, if we have a common ancestor, our gggggg?grandfather lived some centuries before present time.
        Can't say I've knowingly had the experience with FF yet, but on Ancestry I have seen 4th Cousins (and equivalents) fail to match on atDNA. I know that through combinations of DNA Circles and having access to test results from multiple persons on the relevant lines. 4th Cousin works out to 3x-Great Grandparents. but if your male line is like mine, my 4x-great grandfather takes you back to the 18th century, and depending on where they were, that could be either very easy, of it could become an exercise in frustration.

Comment

If you tested Y-111. Did you get a lower sub-Haplogroup below R-M269..
          I did Y-111 and a SNP kit to get R-S14328

Do the 2 matches have email addresses that you can send them a message ?

Comment

McBlzr, I tested Y-111 and got a lower sub-haplogroup below R-M269, but my 2 GD match only tested Y67, and just got R-M269

Comment

EdQu, Have you joined a Surname for your Y-DNA surname ? Some of them have a tab you can click on to view a DNA Project - Y-DNA Colorized Chart

You might be able to see your kit # listed in a sub-haplogroup with matches to you by kit # and some listed oldest known ancestor.

R1b-P310 > P312 > L21 > DF13 > Z39589 > DF49 > DF23 > Z2961 > M222 > Recommend R1b-M222 SNP Pack or Big Y-500
              Kit# 207508 Benton (Ancestor) Edward Joy Benton 1837 - 1908 Haplo R-M269
              I think FTDNA knows your deeper sub-haplogroups but only gives the person the level that they paid to be tested for ie: Y-67

Kind of hard to explain here, but I eMailed some Y-37 & Y-67 matches & ask them if they were Kit# so & so.
              They said yes, to verify that they were a match to that sub-haplogroup even though they only tested for R-M269.
              But our DNA match could really go back as far as 100 or more generations.

This research can get complicated.

Comment

Thanks, McBlzr. I'll try.

Comment

Working...
                X