DYS 635 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYS 635 ?

I recently found out that my Dad is not my Biological father and thru DNA and other research have identified within 2 people who is my biological father. I am now in touch with a person that is either my 1/2 brother or my nephew. In other words his Father or Grandfather is my father. he has had a Y-STR DNA done and I have had the Y37 Y-STR DNA test done. The test that he had done had 17 markers and we match 100% on 15 of them. On one of them (H4) he had a number 13 and I had a 12. He had another marker (DYS 635) on his test that does not appear on my test. Can anyone tell me the significance of this marker and perhaps what it represents? I would be very grateful. My e-mail is pwaltrip@panhandle.rr.com Thanks Phil Waltrip

Can't tell you much about DYS635 that you wouldn't be able to find with a Google search on your own.

But I can tell you that DYS635 is a STR marker found in the Y111 STR test, in panels 103-111.

As to STR testing in general, Your Mileage May Vary. I'm at GD2 with my own father at 37 markers, although the markers that are different in our case differ from yours. In our case the markers that changed are known to be unstable relative to most others, and FTDNA's information on them says they're included for exactly that reason.

Comment

Should add, STR Markers CAN be reliable in most cases, just not in all cases.

If you have a high quality match at a high level of testing, which isn't Y37 or less in my book, particularly one near GD0, it certainly becomes one worth further investigating.

But as demonstrated in my case, a high GD at the lower levels doesn't necessarily mean there is no close relationship to be found there. At that point SNP testing is going to be needed to further refine the quality of the match, but that's going to take some major cash on somebody's part to figure out which markers to test for. I'd want more than 17 STR markers to compare against if it were me.

Comment

Originally posted by phillip waltrip View Post
        I recently found out that my Dad is not my Biological father and thru DNA and other research have identified within 2 people who is my biological father. I am now in touch with a person that is either my 1/2 brother or my nephew. In other words his Father or Grandfather is my father. he has had a Y-STR DNA done and I have had the Y37 Y-STR DNA test done. The test that he had done had 17 markers and we match 100% on 15 of them. On one of them (H4) he had a number 13 and I had a 12. He had another marker (DYS 635) on his test that does not appear on my test. Can anyone tell me the significance of this marker and perhaps what it represents? I would be very grateful. My e-mail is pwaltrip@panhandle.rr.com Thanks Phil Waltrip
        Not all companies read the Y-GATA-H4 results the same way. When Ancestry and Sorenson offered Y-DNA test we had to subtract 1 from their Y-GATA-H4 results to get FTDNA's results. You really need more that 17 STR markers to read much into the Y-DNA results.

Comment

Family Finder should be able to help you decide whether it is the father or grandfather that is your father. Since you would match relations on the great-grandmother's line to be descended from the grandfather, that could be confirmed. Then if you match relations on the grandmother's line as well, you know that the father is who you must descend from. The close known matches on each of those women's lines will help you determine which of the two options fits better than trying to understand the STR difference and using that and mutation rates to determine which one is your father since those can be random as bartarl260 mentioned. Close known relations to the women will also help filter out any possible noise from a distant relation to your mother.

Comment

Working...
          X