varying genetic distances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varying genetic distances

Hi, I did the tests up to Y -111 and one person comes up in searches under all the markers, 12-111.

on Y 111 they say genetic distance 10
    on y 67 they say 7
    on y37 they say 4
    on y 25 they say 2 but you can not click on that person when found this way
    on y 12 they say 0 but you can not click on that person when found this way.

So... what gives?

Why is the genetic distance getting farther the larger the test?
    How come the name comes up, but you can not click on the person on the smaller tests?

What do you think the actual distance should be?

Is there a way to browse his markers and mine to see where we match up?

Thanks,
    Neal

Originally posted by 864137 View Post
    Hi, I did the tests up to Y -111 and one person comes up in searches under all the markers, 12-111.

on Y 111 they say genetic distance 10
    on y 67 they say 7
    on y37 they say 4
    on y 25 they say 2 but you can not click on that person when found this way
    on y 12 they say 0 but you can not click on that person when found this way.

So... what gives?

Why is the genetic distance getting farther the larger the test?
    How come the name comes up, but you can not click on the person on the smaller tests?

What do you think the actual distance should be?

Is there a way to browse his markers and mine to see where we match up?

Thanks,
    Neal
    On the first 12 markers you and the other person have the same values.
    On the next 13 markers you and the other person have one marker that differs by two or two markers that differ by one, giving a genetic difference of two on the 25 markers.
    On the next 12 markers there is a genetic difference 2 giving a total of 37 markers with a total genetic difference of 4.

Over all you have 12(0) + 13(2) + 12(2) + 30(3) + 44(3) giving a total of 111(10).

You can see the others person's markers if (1) they will send their's to you or (2) you are both in the same project.

Comment

For FTDNA's guidance on interpreting genetic distance on the various tests, see: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ionship-match/

Comment

"Genetic distance" is not a very good name for this metric, because it isn't really a "distance" in any conventional sense. It is simply the number of difference between two samples, counted according to a particular (and somewhat arbitrary) set of rules.. I regard it as an attempt to count the number of "mutational events" for a specific set of markers that have occurred since two samples (presumably) had a common patrilineal ancestor. It is not an estimate of the number of generations that have elapsed, but it is assumed to have some relationship to the elapsed generations.

Comment

Working...
        X