Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R1b

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    S Series test name?

    Mike,
    I don't see "S-Series" test for $129 on ethnoancestry. Is it the "R1b FT upgrade?" What does FT stand for?

    We do know that from the 1600s till 1900s our paternal line was in Sweden so learning something from further back would be interesting to us. I think...

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by birdy06
      Mike,
      I don't see "S-Series" test for $129 on ethnoancestry. Is it the "R1b FT upgrade?" What does FT stand for?

      We do know that from the 1600s till 1900s our paternal line was in Sweden so learning something from further back would be interesting to us. I think...
      Yes, FT (Family Tree) Upgrade at EA is their special offer for FTDNA customers who want to test the S-series. It's meant for those who have taken the FTDNA R1b deep clade test and come back negative on the SNPs for R1b1c1-R1b1c8.

      It's not necessary to prove that you've taken the FTDNA R1b deep clade test. It's just recommended for those who have and are negative for those SNPs. Anyone can take advantage of that offer, even if they haven't taken the SNP test at FTDNA and are curious about their S21 and S28 status.

      Mike

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by birdy06
        I looked at the ethnoancestry site. They have a Viking test which is for 27 markers. If my brother is getting the 67 marker FTDNA Y test, why should he pay another $250 for that? Won't the FTDNA test give him more information? It doesn't look like ethnoancestry has a database, just testing. What use will it be for my brother to use their products?
        Thanks once again!
        I think you're getting SNPs confused with STRs. Anything that is named a 12 marker, 25, marker, 37 marker or 67 marker test on FTDNA is a test of STRs. The "deepclade" FTDNA test is an SNP test. The Ethnoancestry S series tests are SNP tests.

        Comment


        • #49
          EA also does STR marker tests. Ten of their markers are unique and can be ordered separately. This would give a total of 77 markers for an individual with FTDNA 67. MORE is still BETTER.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by fmoakes
            EA also does STR marker tests. Ten of their markers are unique and can be ordered separately. This would give a total of 77 markers for an individual with FTDNA 67. MORE is still BETTER.
            http://www.gendna.net/ydnacomp.htm

            Since FTDNA is teamed with DNA fingerprint via the advanced orders; FTDNA is still the way to go. Albeit, EA still has the ten neither do, and Genebase has two no other does in addition to that. You still cover every other marker offered commercially with FTDNA and the advanced orders via DNA fingerprint.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by MMaddi
              What you want from Ethnoancestry is not more markers. You want their S-series SNP test. This tests for S21 (R1b1c9), S26 (R1b1c9a), S29 (R1b1c9b) and S28 (R1b1c10). As I mentioned above, EA is the only company that presently tests for these SNPs. They charge $129 for the S-series for new customers; this includes a one-time fee to extract DNA from the sample.

              EA estimates that 50% of R1b1c's will test negative for all known SNPs (R1b1c1-R1b1c10), meaning the person has no SNPs beyond M269 (SNP which defines R1b1c) or that they have a SNP which has not been discovered yet. EA also estimates that about 20% of R1b1c's will test S21+. So that's a sizeable chunk of people.

              Mike
              Originally posted by MMaddi
              FT (Family Tree) Upgrade at EA is their special offer for FTDNA customers who want to test the S-series. It's meant for those who have taken the FTDNA R1b deep clade test and come back negative on the SNPs for R1b1c1-R1b1c8.

              It's not necessary to prove that you've taken the FTDNA R1b deep clade test. It's just recommended for those who have and are negative for those SNPs. Anyone can take advantage of that offer, even if they haven't taken the SNP test at FTDNA and are curious about their S21 and S28 status.

              Mike
              Mike,
              Here's a link that reflects geographical locations in Europe of some subclades of R1b1
              http://www.vizachero.com/images/R1bClades.pdf

              50% of those tested having no subclades past R1b1c*? That's a significant amount of the group. Any rationale for EA's prediction?

              If FTDNA begins testing for S-series SNPs will only those ordering R1b DeepSNP tests after that point in time benefit, or will FTDNA consider upgrading those previously tested this year? Especially the additional SNP tests are added to the original bundle for the same fee...

              John

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by jr9162
                Mike,
                Here's a link that reflects geographical locations in Europe of some subclades of R1b1
                http://www.vizachero.com/images/R1bClades.pdf

                50% of those tested having no subclades past R1b1c*? That's a significant amount of the group. Any rationale for EA's prediction?

                If FTDNA begins testing for S-series SNPs will only those ordering R1b DeepSNP tests after that point in time benefit, or will FTDNA consider upgrading those previously tested this year? Especially the additional SNP tests are added to the original bundle for the same fee...

                John
                Keep in mind that FTDna as yet doesn't even offer S21 or 228 while Ethnoancestry is about to introduce 3 new SNPs. I'm an FTDna customer but for SNPs EA seems to be the way. I'm only waiting to see if they'll bundle S21 & 28 with the new markers.

                Comment

                Working...
                X