Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downer101
    Hello Stevo,
    I need to know since I'm R1b of Ireland with markers of 23/11 at DYS390/DYS391. I know that I am Germanic, and I know that I could be either Danish Viking, Norman, Angle, Saxon, or Jute. Is there anyway I could use my STRs to determine which one I am? By the way, my surname is a very rare name in Ireland found mostly in Dublin. Most of the people with my surname 'Downer' have English heritage, but there is an Irish Gaelic 'Downer', which is equivalent to the rare surname O'Dooner. With my STRs at DYS390/DYS391 being 23/11, I would be the English Downer in Ireland, correct? When I searched the Downer's in England in 1881, they mainly lived in Portsmouth, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, and Eastern part of Sussex.. Would my ancestors have originated in this area before they came to Ireland?
    What is your YSearch ID? If I can have a look at your haplotype, I might be able to tell you something, although I am no expert.

Do you have 67 markers? If so, what do you have at DYS492?

You should join us over on the R Forum here, by the way.

Comment

I only have about 12 STRs.. I did once, but dunno what happened.. That's mine.

DYS393: 13
      DYS439: 11
      DYS388: 12
      DYS385a: 11
      DYS19: 15
      DYS389-1: 13
      DYS390: 23
      DYS385b: 12
      DYS391: 11
      DYS389-2: 16
      DYS426: 12
      DYS392: 13

Comment

I only have about 12 STRs.. I did once, but dunno what happened.. That's mine.

DYS393: 13
        DYS439: 11
        DYS388: 12
        DYS385a: 11
        DYS19: 15
        DYS389-1: 13
        DYS390: 23
        DYS385b: 12
        DYS391: 11
        DYS389-2: 16
        DYS426: 12
        DYS392: 13
        Your 11/12 at 385a/b is a bit unusual, as is your 15 at DYS19.

You should create a YSearch account at YSearch.org, even though you have only 12 markers.

An upgrade to at least 37 markers is also something you should seriously consider, and 67 markers would be even better. A Deep SNP-R1b test would also be a good idea.

At 12 markers it's almost impossible to say anything definite about your geographic origins beyond just "Western Europe."

Whether or not you go in for further testing is, of course, up to you.

It depends on how much you really want to know and how interested in all this you are.

I'm hooked, but not everyone else is.

Comment

I used Genographic Project.. So I guess I can't upgrade. What should I do? and how much will it cost?

Dan

Comment

I used Genographic Project.. So I guess I can't upgrade. What should I do? and how much will it cost?

Dan
            I believe you can, but someone who started with the Genographic Project will have to advise on that.

Why not send an email to FTDNA and inquire about upgrading from the Genographic Project?

I know others here have done it.

Comment

Dan
              You can easily transfer your results to FTDNA and then upgrade. Log in to your GP webpage and at the very bottom, there's a link that says "Learn more...". Click the link and follow the instructions to create an FTDNA account and transfer your results (no charge). Once your FTDNA account is activated, you can log in to see your results, your matches in the FTDNA database and other information. At the top right of your FTDNA page, you'll see an ORDER link where you can purchase additional tests. Prices are available there as well.

Comment

I'm waiting, too...

Originally posted by MMaddi
                I should have mentioned that the S21 SNP is generally regarded as reflecting deep ancestry from the northern Netherlands, northern Germany, and southern Scandinavia (Denmark and southern Norway). This is still preliminary, because Ethnoancestry discovered this SNP less than a year ago.

There is also the possibility that the even deeper ancestry of R1b1c/S21+ is that it represents those R1b's whose ancestors spent the Ice Age in northern Italy, instead of in Spain. So far Ethnoancestry has test results for S21 on two Italian paternal lines, myself and another person who is in the Italy Project. Both of us have tested positive for S21. There is another Sicily Project member who is awaiting his S21 test result, but I think that he may be negative, based on his haplotype.

Mike
                I am also waiting for my SNP test results, probably in 2 weeks or so. I could be S21+, but we'll have to see. My ancestry is Romanian, whatever that means when you go back 2,000 years or more...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
                  I am also waiting for my SNP test results, probably in 2 weeks or so. I could be S21+, but we'll have to see. My ancestry is Romanian, whatever that means when you go back 2,000 years or more...
                  Any connection to Vlad Tepes?

Comment

M37- today!

Originally posted by R2-D2
                    Any connection to Vlad Tepes?
                    Well, I wouldn't be entirely surprised! My father comes from that area, so it is possible...

In other news, I got my M37- (which is no surprise) so my FTDNA SNP tests are now complete. The Ethnoancestry results should be coming in about 2-4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by dcb123
                      Here is my data.
                      I have had 67 markers completed.

My ancestry is Scottish. But where before that is the question . The maps and list are very confusing after awhile.
                      Please help an old guy out.

M173+ M207+ M269+ M343+ P25+ M126- M153- M160- M18- M222- M37- M65- M73- P66- SRY2627-

R1b1c
                      H
                      M222 marker is Celtic Irish! It is also known to have an important royal Irish high king line!

Comment

Downer 101,
                        How do you know what your phenotype is? Did you come up with your own conclusion or did you have input from others to help you with this? Curious about the whole phenotype deal. Happy Holidays and lots of cheer.

Comment

Results in

Originally posted by Dan Draghici
                          Well, I wouldn't be entirely surprised! My father comes from that area, so it is possible...

In other news, I got my M37- (which is no surprise) so my FTDNA SNP tests are now complete. The Ethnoancestry results should be coming in about 2-4 weeks.
                          It is now confirmed that I am R1b1c9*. The other three tests from EA turned negative (S26- S28- S29-).

Comment

Central Asia to Sicily

I don't know the exact figure, but the overwhelming majority of R1b men of European descent turn out to be R1b1c. The thing to remember is that there is a hierarchy involved in naming haplogroups and subclades. Look at it this way. Consider the haplogroup R as equivalent to "agricultural crops." R1 then would be "fruits" and R2 would be "grains." R1a would be "oranges" and R1b would be "apples." R1b1 would be "MacIntosh" and R1b2 would be "Delicious." R1b1b would be "MacIntosh grown in New York state" and R1b1c would be "MacIntosh grown in Washington state." That's how a haplogroup tree works in describing the relationships found by DNA testing.

We have one R1b member of the Sicily Project who had his final SNP test result and was found to be R1b1b. I had never heard of anyone in that subclade before. Doing some research, I found that this is basically only found with significant percentages in Central Asia, which would be the nations between Russia and Afghanistan. There were a couple of studies that found a 1% level in Turkey, 4% level in Pakistan and a 6% level in East Asia. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how someone with recent ancestry in Sicily is in a haplogroup that is mainly found today at significant levels in Central Asia.

Mike
                            Perhaps during the times of the Roman Empire? A solider?

Comment

Another R1b1c9*

I should have mentioned that the S21 SNP is generally regarded as reflecting deep ancestry from the northern Netherlands, northern Germany, and southern Scandinavia (Denmark and southern Norway). This is still preliminary, because Ethnoancestry discovered this SNP less than a year ago.

There is also the possibility that the even deeper ancestry of R1b1c/S21+ is that it represents those R1b's whose ancestors spent the Ice Age in northern Italy, instead of in Spain. So far Ethnoancestry has test results for S21 on two Italian paternal lines, myself and another person who is in the Italy Project. Both of us have tested positive for S21. There is another Sicily Project member who is awaiting his S21 test result, but I think that he may be negative, based on his haplotype.

Mike
                              It is now confirmed that I am R1b1c9*. The other three tests from EA turned negative (S26- S28- S29-). My known ancestry back to about 1820 is Romanian (SW region - Oltenia, or Little Wallachia, close to the triplex confinium between Romania, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria). Since the theory of the Scordisci Celts is now dismissed for my case, we're looking at some Germanic root - Gothic (217-364 AD they inhabitted Dacia before the Huns pushed them south of the Danube), Lombardian, or else? Too early to conclude anything but at least you and me are now in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by iberiandave
                                Downer 101,
                                How do you know what your phenotype is? Did you come up with your own conclusion or did you have input from others to help you with this? Curious about the whole phenotype deal. Happy Holidays and lots of cheer.
                                Well, it's your ancestry according to Racial Classification.. I have no Asian, African, or Native American. My Racial Classification proved my autosomal profile. Dan I am pleased you have joined the Frisian brotherhood! Although, I am interested in your mtDNA J1. Neolithic farming!
                                Last edited by Downer101; 22 December 2006, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X