Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lebanese

Originally posted by Jambalaia32
    ThankYou everyone,for informing me about who or where y-K is.I heard old President TommyKnockers(Thomas Jefferson) was,but I didn't see much information about that group anywhere on the HaploMaps.So I thought,where are they,where's y-K from? So I've another history to learn of .....again Thanks.

fast facts:y-K2 has a presence in Wales
    is virtually unrelated to other earlier y-K strains found elsewhere
    Is found in populats. like the Labanese/maybe Phoenicians are their ancestors.

Interesting.
    It is Lebanese. Not Labanese. I am always amazed no one can spell this right. With them being in the news as often as they are you would think people could remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristin
      It is Lebanese. Not Labanese. I am always amazed no one can spell this right. With them being in the news as often as they are you would think people could remember.
      Maybe she was referring to Rachel and Leah?

(Bible humor: they were the daughters of Laban, so they were "Labanese.")

Sorry.

Carry on.

Comment

Is everyone's surname their real,authentic,from God name or just an adopted or made up/aquired name? I think it's about 50/50.I'm not saying unrelated people with your name are frauds,but that everyone doesn't take a name so seriously.Maybe they /or someone just names themselves that to fit it or emulate a local.
        Why don't you read a book on how surnames have been acquired over time, in different countries & amongst different peoples. The same surname can be acquired from different origins. No surname is a "fraud", unless maybe someone was avoiding the "LAW" or trying to tie onto an "illustrious" family tree. And how do you know if the surname is a so-you-say "fraud" unless you have traced that family tree ? Yes, yes, I know you are not saying those surnames are frauds, but just don't fling that type of wording around so indiscriminately. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth to read it. (Course maybe I need to go brush my teeth---)

Comment

All I know is that my name is ancient Saxon, from northwest Germany.. at about 550CE and pre-Germanic from 550CE and before.. Although, I must ask.. Stevo, I was told by the North-Sea Baltic Group that my ancestors are like the R1bF3, and came from central asia long ago.. He said about 9000 years ago and moved through the Baltic states.. Not that of the Ancient Britons that came into Albion 9000 yrs ago.. My DNA test at the Genographic Project states that I am descended from the Cro-Magnons in Southern France and I am Basque.. Even though I am R1b 23/11, which I heard is strong Germanic ancestry.. Which one is true?

Comment

Originally posted by Downer101
            My DNA test at the Genographic Project states that I am descended from the Cro-Magnons in Southern France and I am Basque.
            The Genographic Project only looks at the first 12 markers, plus the haplogroup. They probably tell every R1b member that he is Basque and descended from the Cro-Magnon.

Do you have a Ysearch entry? How many markers have you tested? Just 12?

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
              The Genographic Project only looks at the first 12 markers, plus the haplogroup. They probably tell every R1b member that he is Basque and descended from the Cro-Magnon.
              I think you're right.

I should move to the Pyrenees.

Maybe they'll give me a bota bag full of red wine and a flock of sheep to herd.

Sounds like a good life!

Comment

Surname

Originally posted by ragnar
                Why don't you read a book on how surnames have been acquired over time, in different countries & amongst different peoples. The same surname can be acquired from different origins. No surname is a "fraud", unless maybe someone was avoiding the "LAW" or trying to tie onto an "illustrious" family tree. And how do you know if the surname is a so-you-say "fraud" unless you have traced that family tree ? Yes, yes, I know you are not saying those surnames are frauds, but just don't fling that type of wording around so indiscriminately. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth to read it. (Course maybe I need to go brush my teeth---)
                I was speaking of myself.People tend to latch onto something mobile you have and think it's bonafide yours and from what I found my gFathers name isn't his name ,but of someone who helped him-so our surname isn't actually what it is currently called.That might be further revealed if and when I get the paternal side tested and then we can see which surnames match his genes.That might then be our "real" name. He might have been a bad dude?

Comment

I know how to spell Lebanon-hit wrong key I guess.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  I oftimes misspell.I guess my test scores will just have to be lower.And I don't always do spell check ,either,but thanks for mentioning it.

Comment

I oftimes misspell.I guess my test scores will just have to be lower.And I don't always do spell check ,either,but thanks for mentioning it.
                    I did not mean to make you angry. I see it spelled wrong all the time. You were closer than most people.

Comment

Thomas Jefferson a Phoenician?

DNA tests carried out on two British men have shed light on a mystery surrounding the ancestry of Thomas Jefferson, America's third president. This DNA type has now been found in two Britons with the Jefferson surname. Thomas Jefferson's haplogroup - shared with the two men from Britain - is known as K2.

K2 is relatively common in Lebanon, from where Phoenicians, an ancient maritime trading culture, spread out across the Mediterranean leading to suggestions that European K2s may be descendents of these ancient traders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6332545.stm

Comment

Or may be he's an Egyptian, since apparently a relatively close match was found in Egypt... I don't think Jefferson owned any slaves from Somalia and Tanzania, where K2 is also quite common - otherwise it would have been, even genetically, quite an interesting situation.

Anyway, I'd go for a Mediterranean guy who moved north at some point, may be even during the Roman empire. K2 is found throughout the Mediterranean, including Italy and Spain. In Italy I believe it's something like 1-2%, a small but non-negligible fraction.

cacio

Comment

The 'alternative' hypothesis is that ancient haplogroups like K2, E3b, F, and Q populated Paleolithic Europe before the R1b men came and took over the place, killing or outcompeting the earlier men except for a few rare survivors.

Comment

This is a link to a page on the Phoenician tin trade in Britain. I wouldn't know if it is accurate, but it's interesting:

http://phoenicia.org/britmines.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pleroma
                              This is a link to a page on the Phoenician tin trade in Britain. I wouldn't know if it is accurate, but it's interesting:

http://phoenicia.org/britmines.html
                              I am just finishing Facing The Ocean by Barry Cunliffe and he believes that the Tin Trade and the pathways that it took replicated other movements like Celtic Tribes..
                              and he thinks that "Celtic" per se involves more than one group with common or similar language and cultures..that came south from Germany/Bohemia due to population stress and followed the Meditereanean and the Phoenicians also..
                              Interestingly for me the Atlantic Fringe groups that this encompasses includes my Maternal line's I1b1b who are found in Sardinia and my mtDNA haplogroup J2

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
                                The 'alternative' hypothesis is that ancient haplogroups like K2, E3b, F, and Q populated Paleolithic Europe before the R1b men came and took over the place, killing or outcompeting the earlier men except for a few rare survivors.
                                K2 amounts to only about 4% of the Italy DNA Project results, but the haplotype diversity for this haplogroup in Italy is very high which suggests a relatively ancient population - quite possibly Paleolithic or Mesolithic.

Comment

Working...
                                X