Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making sense of STR Markers

Hi

I did my Y-111 test and received a prediction for Haplogroup of H-L901. I had only 6 exact 12-marker matches and 26 x GD1 12-marker matches. No higher level matches at all.I want to make sense of the markers with what I have in terms of matches. I have also joined the Y-Haplo project.

I found that Mr. ABC, a GD-1 match to be the person who had the most amount of matching markers but not enough to be a true match at 25+. He differs very closely to some of my fast mutating markers.At 12 marker level he differs to me only on the fast mutating marker DYS385. At 67 markers he differs closely on 11 markers + or - 1.

Also, a Mr. XYZ is the only person in the project who has an equal number of marker sets for DYS459 = 9-9-9, DYS464 = 12-12-14-14-15-15 and CDY= 35-35-38. All others have DYS459 = X-X, DYS464 = XX-XX-XX and CDY= XX-XX.

My question is, both Mr. ABC and Mr. XYZ originate from the same geographic/ethnic area and could this be an indication of the origins of my ancient paternal ancestors.

Thanks

warren

I cannot answer your question, but you have done the right thing by testing 111 and joining the Haplo project and I advise communicating with the admin(s) of any other projects that you qualify for.
    Patience and targeted sponsorships might result in higher matches, since the haplo determinant 12 markers are just that, and rarely useful unless a known paper trail backs them up.
    I am not sanguine that the STR results will render "ancient origin" theories without SNPs in combination, but I have found that asking two haplo "experts" will result in two different answers.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you Clinton. I agree with what you have said. I have however since tested SNP positive for M82 and the the two people I have referenced are from the parent group and one of them have had the SNP too.

The paper trail and family tree is completely different to the 12 Marker Matches and my surname does not match anyone either on the FTDN 12 marker match list. I guess I will have to be patient and wait.

But the big problem I have is that after testing multiple people in my family for autosomal DNA and done with multiple providers all autosomal results completely contradict the 12-marker matches I have got. The 12 marker matches does not match anything we know about ourselves, our culture, history.

The autosomal tests are 100% aligned with our family tree, paper trail and what we know about ourselves but the Y DNA 12 markers are completely out of whack.

regards

warren

Comment

But what you know goes back only 200, 300 or may be even 400 years.

The individual with your Y DNA might have entered your area/culture from somewhere else 401 years ago...

Mr. W.

Comment

Thanks....my issue is as follows.

Autosomal DNA and our family history suggests an European man we know as Mr. Baumgartner arrived in Ceylon/Sri Lanka about 1800 during colonial times and married local and mixed race woman in Sri Lanka. My family history, Autosomal DNA and paper trail confirm this and we agree with this.

However, the Y-DNA 12 markers matches suggest this man was not an European but a South Asian. The only way both stories can be true is if as per Haplogroup M82, this man came from Africa and settled in South Asia. Then migrated to Europe via the middle east and then onto Eastern Europe. During colonial times he came to Ceylon. This would be consistent with the movement of people like the Romany people. But the Haplo admin is of the view that we could not have come from Europe as my DYS425 = 13. Only people with DYS425 = 0 are considered Romany and hence European decent not others. We dont identify as Romany for sure, but would still consider to be or European heritage known as Ceylon Burgher even though the DYS425 marker is not equal to zero.

hope this explains my pains.
          thanks

Comment

Yes, not anything straightforward indeed.

Mr. W.

Comment

Working...
            X