A question for those with Y-DNA67 and Big Y

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for those with Y-DNA67 and Big Y

If you had received an upgrade offer to Y-DNA111 from FTDNA, did you enquire whether DNA would need to be used or markers 68-111 will be read from the raw Big Y data ?

Thank you - Mr. W.

My very first DNA test was 67 Markers, after that I upgraded to 3 different SNP Packs and I also upgraded to 111 Markers. All test were used with my original DNA sample. They do not send you another kit for each order.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ECOSSE View Post
      My very first DNA test was 67 Markers, after that I upgraded to 3 different SNP Packs and I also upgraded to 111 Markers. All test were used with my original DNA sample. They do not send you another kit for each order.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Steve
      This month, FTDNA had a special sale, which I understood targeted only those who had Y-DNA67 test and the original Big Y test, giving them a deep discount for an upgrade to Y-DNA111.

Since that was an unusually deep discount, it made me think that nowadays FTDNA is able to reliably extract values for STRs 68-111 from the raw data acquired during a Big Y test. They hinted at that. I would not have given any thought to the issue, if my family testers were still among the living...

Mr. W.

P.S.
      I have no idea whether the offer was sent to all who qualify, or only to those in specific haplogroups or even only to testers within specific branches.

Comment

I received a similar offer when I upgraded.

Comment

BigY500 and STRs

One of my members had only 37 markers but was sponsored for Big Y just after the "500" was added. His kit also rec'd the July offer for big discount for upgrading to 111 YSTR markers, and we took it, so it was not limited to 67-marker customers.

The reason for this seems to be that the STRs shown on his Y500 section, over four hundred, do not match the naming protocols for the STR grid in his YDNA section. I searched those values ASAP after his Y500 to see if I could populate a spreadsheet with the additional "500" STRs using previous 111 grids, and found no correspondence.

Presumably, the discount was to cover a programming protocol that would allow the 37 Y-STR markers to be expanded to 111 "common" markers, and it appears that the Y-STR values on the Y-DNA section of his kit page will be receiving those (currently marked "awaiting lab.") I cannot bring myself to resent having to pay for this service in view of the juggernaut of false claims and poor "genealogy" that is enriching another well-known DNA service that turned its back on YDNA.

This should have an effect on the distance calculators, since most under-67-marker matches result in "too-recent" distances. Most of my pooled members (by paper estimations) are 4 to 8 generations away from a common male, but only the 67- to 111-marker matches approach distance accuracy. For all the bad-mouthing that STR testing gets, the tracing of a probable surname is best served by this type of testing, even when we know that surnames are human inventions and thus scientifically arbitrary. They are still culturally reinforced in "western" (European) communities, and as mentioned in other contexts, the ability to "rule out" helps offset the inability to identify a particular male ancestor in YDNA.
          Last edited by clintonslayton76; 31st July 2018, 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling and additional

Comment

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
            One of my members had only 37 markers but was sponsored for Big Y just after the "500" was added. His kit also rec'd the July offer for big discount for upgrading to 111 YSTR markers, and we took it, so it was not limited to 67-marker customers.

The reason for this seems to be that the STRs shown on his Y500 section, over four hundred, do not match the naming protocols for the STR grid in his YDNA section. I searched those values ASAP after his Y500 to see if I could populate a spreadsheet with the additional "500" STRs using previous 111 grids, and found no correspondence.

Presumably, the discount was to cover a programming protocol that would allow the 37 Y-STR markers to be expanded to 111 "common" markers, and it appears that the Y-STR values on the Y-DNA section of his kit page will be receiving those (currently marked "awaiting lab.") I cannot bring myself to resent having to pay for this service in view of the juggernaut of false claims and poor "genealogy" that is enriching another well-known DNA service that turned its back on YDNA.

This should have an effect on the distance calculators, since most under-67-marker matches result in "too-recent" distances. Most of my pooled members (by paper estimations) are 4 to 8 generations away from a common male, but only the 67- to 111-marker matches approach distance accuracy. For all the bad-mouthing that STR testing gets, the tracing of a probable surname is best served by this type of testing, even when we know that surnames are human inventions and thus scientifically arbitrary. They are still culturally reinforced in "western" (European) communities, and as mentioned in other contexts, the ability to "rule out" helps offset the inability to identify a particular male ancestor in YDNA.
            Since you are waiting for the lab results, as opposed to say next week recalculation results, I will not use the upgrade offer. May be there would be some other tests in the future where the stored DNA turns out to be more useful.

Thanks to all who responded - Mr. W.

Comment

As stated, I was not troubled by paying under $30 to have 111 markers in a former 37 STR grid. This also gave the member the 111 marker matching ability that I was looking for. I consider this a good upgrade offer, even though I have always felt that the cost of Big Y should have included 111 STRs as a "gimme." The additional 389+ STR markers from Big Y500 were doing us no good at all (as I understood them to be proprietarily named and did not find them on ISOGG). There is always a chance that I am an idiot.

Comment

If one submits their Y data to YFull they will also get STR results in excess of ~500. This isn't necessarily restricted to FTDNA, however FTDNA could totally make use of the 500 markers for interesting matching purposes.

Comment

Working...
                X