Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade a y37 grandson of a grandfather tested at y111 with BigY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade a y37 grandson of a grandfather tested at y111 with BigY?

Hi all,

I'm admin of a group of family accounts.

I tested my grandfather with Y-111 and Big-Y.

I tested my cousin (my grandfather's grandson) with only Y-37.

Would it be advantageous to upgrade to Y-111 or is it senseless since they both follow the same haplogroup?

(Yes, they do match at the Y-37 level )

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you are interested in learning more about your ancestry prior to your grandfather, I see no benefit to it. Since your grandfather would be genetically closer to anyone prior to him than you or your cousin would be, your grandfather's DNA would be superior for that purpose.

Comment

"Assuming you are interested in learning more about your ancestry prior to your grandfather..."

This statement supposes that there's a benefit for ancestry descending our grandfather?

If so, then with genealogical research there could be a benefit to work down by branching outward (DNA genealogy?) and then working upward (genealogy research and possibly matching DNA genealogy with our grandfather as well)?

Comment

Originally posted by jweaving View Post
        This statement supposes that there's a benefit for ancestry descending our grandfather?
        There are other alternatives, such as just interested to see what mutational differences appear on an 111 STR comparison between a grandfather and a grandson. Not likely, but the point is, whenever someone asks should they do this test or that test, it is important to know what they are interested in trying to discover.

Comment

Working...
        X