Italian/Hispanic with Y-DNA Haplogroup O-M175

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian/Hispanic with Y-DNA Haplogroup O-M175

I'm confused and wondered if anyone more educated in DNA can explain to me how this could be. I took Y-DNA STR test and came out with O-M175. I was always told by my father that his father was of Spanish heritage. When I checked ancestry records, I found out my great-grandfather came from Italy. My surname has families immigrating from both Spain and Italy. But why would my paternal result be O-M175 which I believe is more Asian, Mongol or Siberian related? I was expecting Haplogroup R result for Europe which I see in my Autosomal results. Could it be that somewhere generations back, a child was adopted into my Italian/Spanish Surname. I saw a different forum where a daughter was confused why her Polish Jewish father also came out as O-M175. Would appreciate your input. I am Asian on my mother's side of the house.

There is always the possibility of an undocumented adoption somewhere in your patrilineage. Have you ordered Family Finder?

Comment

Do you join Y-DNA Haplogroup O Project to get more information ?

Comment

Is your haplogroup confirmed through any backbone SNP testing?

Comment

Originally posted by LFAMAO View Post
          My surname has families immigrating from both Spain and Italy. But why would my paternal result be O-M175 which I believe is more Asian, Mongol or Siberian related?
          Your O haplotype just means that the person responsible for your male lineage came out of the O haplotype group, which could well have occurred thousands of years ago, long before surnames. Perhaps an O male from the eastern edge of the Roman empire moved to Italy. Similarly, there are Brits who have a Mediterranean male haplotype due to descent from Roman occupiers of England.

Comment

Working...
          X