thousands at 12 markers, zero above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thousands at 12 markers, zero above

For those m269 with many (thousands but clipped at 1000) matches at 12 markers, you would expect a few at 25 or above, but in fact in my case, I got none.

What are the scenarios that could explain that?

One comes to mind: all the 'would have been' closest matches are extinct, they'll never test, and you and your immediate male relatives are alone.

RecLoh ?

Ric,

Please google YDNA + Recloh . This is a very basic explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RecLOH
    You do not state if you ordered Y37 or Y67 however if you have a common surname and have no matches above y12 then the above phenomenon is a possibility. If you have joined a surname or haplogroup project you can post your kit number here and we can take a look.

Alexandrina.

Comment

RecLoh, Interesting

Another possibility, beside 'extinction' and Recombination is purely geographic.
      That is, my matches at ftdna indicate an ancestor that predates surname usage. Assuming this ancestor was in the same geographic area as my contemporary matches (UK or Spain), he could have emigrated out of this area before the usage of surname became prevalent and settled in a country where people don't test.
      A migration out of the Ancestral Land 800 years ago, would produce the matching pattern that I am observing right now.
      Any migration event more recent than that would produce some recognizable pattern in the surnames of my match, which I don't really observe.

My kit number 406473, I tested 67.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric View Post
        RecLoh, Interesting

Another possibility, beside 'extinction' and Recombination is purely geographic.
        That is, my matches at ftdna indicate an ancestor that predates surname usage. Assuming this ancestor was in the same geographic area as my contemporary matches (UK or Spain), he could have emigrated out of this area before the usage of surname became prevalent and settled in a country where people don't test.
        A migration out of the Ancestral Land 800 years ago, would produce the matching pattern that I am observing right now.
        Any migration event more recent than that would produce some recognizable pattern in the surnames of my match, which I don't really observe.

My kit number 406473, I tested 67.
        Did you look in ysearch or semargl.me for matches?

Comment

Working...
        X