Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gedmatch and Y-DNA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gedmatch and Y-DNA

    There must be a simple and logical reason why Gedmatch.com handles autosomal and x-dna test results, but has nothing to do with y-dna. Does anyone know why they don't?

    I realize that Y matches will be fewer than autosomal matches, but still, there might be some useful contacts provided. On my 67-marker match page, I only have four matches, but on my cousin's 67-marker match page, he has well over 200.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Excellent idea

    Originally posted by nmcconnell1 View Post
    There must be a simple and logical reason why Gedmatch.com handles autosomal and x-dna test results, but has nothing to do with y-dna. Does anyone know why they don't?

    I realize that Y matches will be fewer than autosomal matches, but still, there might be some useful contacts provided. On my 67-marker match page, I only have four matches, but on my cousin's 67-marker match page, he has well over 200.

    Thanks.
    Excellent idea. Gedmatch has been helpful to me, and I know men that have tested with ancestry, one guy is my 4th cousin, and we know we have a 45/46 match. There are probably others who have tested with ancestry, and if they could upload their ydna to gedmatch, this could reveal more ydna relatives.

    Best regards, Doug

    Comment


    • #3
      Y-DNA to Gedmatch

      AFter all this time, Gedmatch still does not accept YDNA. I would really like to see this on Gedmatch as I am only looking for the paternal lines. Need to change.

      Comment


      • #4
        How would it be useful for GEDmatch to duplicate what FTDNA is already doing? What sort of data (STR's, Big Y?) would you want to see on GEDmatch that you don't already see on FTDNA? What tools would you want to see?

        Comment


        • #5
          there is also ysearch.org for Y matches with more options
          than FTDNA has
          So why should gedmatch duplicate that is there a feature you would really like to have?
          FTDNA supports a quick upload of data from your web page to
          ysearch.org.
          I wonder how many Y-DNA testers have uploaded their data there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Alas, Ysearch apparently has its own problems. Many messages in this forum have mentioned that it has not been maintained.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mprice View Post
              AFter all this time, Gedmatch still does not accept YDNA. I would really like to see this on Gedmatch as I am only looking for the paternal lines. Need to change.
              How often do you donate to GEDmatch?

              GEDmatch is offering you a way to compare your autosomal DNA to that of customers of other companies. They can't do that with Y-DNA because there isn't that much Y-DNA testing done by other companies. Wouldn't it make more sense for you to ask FTDNA to provide you with the additional tools you want?

              Comment


              • #8
                Is your cousin a direct paternal line one?

                Comment


                • #9
                  GEDMATCH and YDNA

                  Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
                  How would it be useful for GEDmatch to duplicate what FTDNA is already doing? What sort of data (STR's, Big Y?) would you want to see on GEDmatch that you don't already see on FTDNA? What tools would you want to see?
                  Seems obvious to me. We have a match who tested with 23 and Me. We know this person matches us on autosomal but we have no way to see if their YDNA is a match for our newphew's Y. Unfortunately, Ysearch seems to have not been maintained and doesn't work very well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Oldcrone View Post
                    Seems obvious to me. We have a match who tested with 23 and Me. We know this person matches us on autosomal but we have no way to see if their YDNA is a match for our newphew's Y. Unfortunately, Ysearch seems to have not been maintained and doesn't work very well.
                    I'm not sure it would be possible to compare Y matches between 23andMe and FTDNA. For starters, 23andMe's test only includes SNPs for the Y chromosome. FTDNA's 37-111 Y marker tests only include STRs, not SNPs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that SNPs and STRs are not comparable.

                    Secondly, FTDNA does provide the "Big Y" test which also includes SNPs... but I imagine the very limited amount of Y SNPs 23andMe's test includes (2,329) may not be enough data to make conclusive comparison with FTDNA's Big Y test (which has 41,800 SNPs).

                    23andMe's test is primarily an autosomal DNA test. If you want to compare Y-DNA, both parties really need to take a proper Y-DNA test. It's not Gedmatch's fault if they haven't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Correct. The YDNA data from 23andMe is very limited. So having Gedmatch try to mess with YDNA seems counterproductive to me as both companies do not compare at all. YSearch was made by FTDNA but they no longer maintain it. Best option is a proper YDNA test over at FTDNA where you will find the bulk of the data is already at for YDNA.

                      A Gedmatch version for YDNA would only make sense if there were other DNA companies doing YDNA like FTDNA the way multiple companies do autosomal DNA testing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think many faIL to fully comprehend that haplogroup matching does not indicate a common ancestor genealogicaly. MoSt of the haplogroups people have listed are very basic haplogroups that are thousands of years old. One would have to do a tests that refine haplogroup into furthest known subclade branch for it to apply genealogicaly(like big Y). Most autosmal testing companies do not even come close with the ydna snps they test.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          [QUOTE=Germanica;444491]I'm not sure it would be possible to compare Y matches between 23andMe and FTDNA. For starters, 23andMe's test only includes SNPs for the Y chromosome. FTDNA's 37-111 Y marker tests only include STRs, not SNPs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that SNPs and STRs are not comparable.

                          Thank you so much, Germanica, for clarifying that for me. I had no idea what type of test 23 and me did for Y - only that this person had it done. So at least now I don't feel so bad at not being able to make that comparison.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                            Correct. The YDNA data from 23andMe is very limited. So having Gedmatch try to mess with YDNA seems counterproductive to me as both companies do not compare at all. YSearch was made by FTDNA but they no longer maintain it. Best option is a proper YDNA test over at FTDNA where you will find the bulk of the data is already at for YDNA.

                            A Gedmatch version for YDNA would only make sense if there were other DNA companies doing YDNA like FTDNA the way multiple companies do autosomal DNA testing.
                            To be fair, there are other companies that provide proper Y-DNA tests:

                            https://isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_SNP_testing_chart
                            https://isogg.org/wiki/Y-DNA_STR_tes...mparison_chart

                            Y-SNP:
                            Geno 2.0 (National Geographic) - includes around 20,000 SNPs
                            Full Genomes Corporation Y Elite - 53,350 SNPs
                            LivingDNA - 22,500 SNPs
                            YSEQ - about 50,000 SNPs
                            These would probably be comparable with FTDNA's Big Y test (41,800 SNPs).

                            Y-STR:
                            Genebase - options for 20, 44, and 101 STR markers
                            Oxford Ancestors - 26 STRs
                            YSEQ - 14, 16, 36, 37, and 50 STRs
                            Most of these would probably be comparable with FTDNA's 37, 67, and 111 STR tests.

                            My understanding is that Y SNPs aren't useful for recent genealogy though - it's the STRs which can be. Geno 2.0 and LivingDNA are probably the most popular ones after FTDNA, but they are both SNP tests, which means finding matches with them isn't going to be very useful, which is why neither of them offer Y matching, as far as I'm aware. Someone stop me if I'm getting something wrong here.

                            Of the three STR companies, I'd never heard of them until I looked this up, so I don't imagine they are very popular or that they would bring many uploaders to Gedmatch. YSEQ apparently have a database of about 73,571 STR testers (in comparison to FTDNA's 568,000+) - the others are unknown.

                            Also, I don't know how relevant this still is but FTDNA do accept Y-DNA uploads from any company that used Sorenson's Lab: https://www.familytreedna.com/landin...-transfer.aspx

                            Unfortunately, their mentions of Ancestry and GeneTree are rather defunct, since Ancestry discontinued Y-DNA test and GeneTree went out of business. And I know Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation is no longer operating either.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Germanica View Post
                              ... (in comparison to FTDNA's 568,000+)
                              As far as Y STR testing used for full genetic genealogy there is no other effective option than FTDNA.

                              "635,395 Y-DNA records in the database"

                              "9,749 surname projects"

                              https://www.familytreedna.com/why-ftdna.aspx

                              Please read the "Why Y DNA testing?" answer on the R1b project FAQ page. To be useful for matching and finding potentially related people everyone has to get tested at them STR locations, with the same methods and with access to contact matches, etc. The size and quality of the matching database is critical.

                              "The comparison method for tree building is simple, just compare validated mutations across potential relatives. If you have two brothers that have the same mutation unique to them then you can legitimately assume their most recent common ancestor, their father, had it. If you check a male cousin and he has the same mutation you can back up a step and know the grandfather had it. However, you need apples to apples comparisons of test results. It is of little value to do tests that few others are doing. Think of this as a team sport. You have to get others potentially related to take the same tests as you do or find them in the matching database. This is why the size of the matching database and recruiting efforts are so important."
                              https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/faq#/FYDNA

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X