Cladogram from STR Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cladogram from STR Values

I would appreciate your thoughts about the best method for drawing a cladogram from STR values.

I have a group of men who share a close 37 marker match and are divided between two surnames, X and Y. I would like to try to create a cladogram to make an educated guess about whether X descended from Y, Y from X or both from another common ancestor, Z.

I found instructions for creating cladograms using McGee's Y Utility at

Unfortunately this approach uses Fluxus which is available only for Windows, not for my Mac. I explored Phylip, which doesn't offer this function, and MacClade, which is no longer supported in Mac OS X. So I thought I would consult a bit before deciding whether to spend some $$ to partition my Mac to run Windows programs.

A few questions:

1. Are you aware of any other programs that will run on a Mac to create cladograms from STRs?

2. If not, do you have any ideas for creating cladograms manually? I have made spreadsheets to compare each of the results with the modal and minimum values, and partitioned the group into clusters based on shared mutations. But I'm not sure where to go from there in plotting the differences in a cladogram.

3. If drawing a diagram manually isn't feasible, would you draw any conclusions regarding the earlier surname on the basis of distance from the modal or minimum haplotypes? If so, which one would give the better insight?

Thanks!

Jim

Cladogram from STR Values

I would appreciate your thoughts about the best method for drawing a cladogram from STR values.

I have a group of men who share a close 37 marker match and are divided between two surnames, X and Y. I would like to try to create a cladogram to make an educated guess about whether X descended from Y, Y from X or both from another common ancestor, Z.

http://lawsondna.org/results/cladograminstruction.html
    Unfortunately this approach uses Fluxus which is available only for Windows, not for my Mac. I explored Phylip, which doesn't offer this function, and MacClade, which is no longer supported in Mac OS X. So I thought I would consult a bit before deciding whether to spend some $$ to partition my Mac to run Windows programs.

A few questions:

1. Are you aware of any other programs that will run on a Mac to create cladograms from STRs?

2. If not, do you have any ideas for creating cladograms manually? I have made spreadsheets to compare each of the results with the modal and minimum values, and partitioned the group into clusters based on shared mutations. But I'm not sure where to go from there in plotting the differences in a cladogram.

3. If drawing a diagram manually isn't feasible, would you draw any conclusions regarding the earlier surname on the basis of distance from the modal or minimum haplotypes? If so, which one would give the better insight?

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

(Please excuse duplicate posting. Doesn't seem to be a way to delete.)

Comment

Did you check these out? I don't know if they will take STR values, but worth a try:
        Perhaps one of them would work. I have no experience with any of them, or cladograms either, but did a search and found these.

Comment

thanks; I will check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post

A few questions:

Thanks!

Jim
            I think you will need to use a Microsoft program but I know there are some nice new features here:
            http://www.crwarthen.com/downloads.htm

Charlie or his friend Wes can help you. Wes Erickson will be in the tent at Jamboree in Burbank this coming Friday morning (June 5) to discuss cladogram making if anybody lives in California. http://genealogyjamboree.com/2015/schedule-friday.html see JamboFREE World Roundtable Sessions.

Comment

Thanks, Kathy--I think the Mesquite program posted earlier will work.

Comment

I would like to try making a cladogram to see what it might tell me so I downloaded Figtree.
                Can someone please tell me what format of data the program requires and how to get it in that format from my Y results?

Thanks, Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by royfarnol View Post
                  I would like to try making a cladogram to see what it might tell me so I downloaded Figtree.
                  Can someone please tell me what format of data the program requires and how to get it in that format from my Y results?

Thanks, Roy.
                  Haven't tried Figtree. I decided to do it manually using this method:

http://www.johnbrobb.com/Content/DNA...usDiagrams.pdf

Comment

Fluxus & YSearch data questions

Is there a way to turn FTDNA's Y CSV results into a format Fluxus will handle - namely rdf, Fasta, Nexus or Phylip?

In my top ten YSearch matches I have 3 from an "other forensic DNA service". These folk have DNA results which are from a selection of markers that I got only with a 111 marker upgrade, I presume because they are believed to be less informative.

If this is true why would these "other" testers begin with less informative markers or is it that there are missing results on YSearch? Or is it something else?

Comment

Originally posted by royfarnol View Post
                      Is there a way to turn FTDNA's Y CSV results into a format Fluxus will handle - namely rdf, Fasta, Nexus or Phylip?
                      You might be able to use this method. I didn't try it because I found Mesquite, which is Mac compatible.

http://lawsondna.org/results/cladograminstruction.html

Comment

@jtbarry6899

Thanks. I've printed out that lot.
                        Roy.

Comment

> Is there a way to turn FTDNA's Y CSV results into a format Fluxus will handle...

The Y-DNA utility written by Wes Erickson and Charlie Warthen:

link removed

...takes an .xml file (exported from FTDNA) and processes it so that it is compatible with the free "Network" phylogenetic software distributed by Fluxus Engineering.

The Y-DNA utility is a 32-bit Windows application which runs on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.

Our other utilities (ADNA and YSNP) are available for Windows and OSX (Macintosh).

Comment

Working...
                          X