X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by fmoakes
    Do you know why FTDNA has not changed I1c to I1b2a?
    Because FTDNA does not yet test for S31, the new SNP that forced the name change.

Leave a comment:

• fmoakes
    replied
    Originally posted by lgmayka
    Have you joined the I1c Project?

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/I1c-Y-Clan
    Do you know why FTDNA has not changed I1c to I1b2a?

Leave a comment:

• DHD
    Guest replied
    Yes, thanks, now I have.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Have you joined the I1c Project?

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/I1c-Y-Clan

Leave a comment:

• DHD
    Guest replied
    I1c Forum ?

Is there a I1c forum ? I sent a request to the person mentioned elsewhere in this thread but have not heard back. I am trying to undestand what the discussions about particular markers mean. Are certain markers more likely to have mutation ? Does common mutation at a particular marker indicate likely closer relationship ? It must, but I am struggling with the significance of the particular marker discussions. If I had realized how much science and statistics were involved, I probably wouldn't have gotten into this, but now I am trying to get it. Thanks for any elucidation. Diane

Leave a comment:

• TheresaGriffin
    Guest replied
    Response to Stevo re I1c

Yes, my husband's January results classified him as plain old I.

I hadn't heard about the new nomenclature. I'll have to go back to FTDNA to see if they've revised the haplogroup.

In mid-March we upgraded to 67 markers because my husband and his sixth cousin don't show any genetic differences at 37. I'm interested to see what they reveal because there were no differences between the two at 12, 24, and 37 markers.

Theresa Griffin

Originally posted by Stevo
    Where have all you I1c folks gone?

This was an interesting discussion and caused me to learn a lot.

I would like to know if you have found out any more.

It's a shame that some people show up and post here a few times and then seem to disappear.

I'm curious about something.

You say you found out you were I1c via a deep clade test.

What did your initial STR results say? Just plain I?

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by DHD
    I have tested with 37 markers and am N6QC4 on y-search.
    Just now I noticed that you didn't post anything further.

So do you see, on Ysearch, that your closest matches are:

31/37:
    Coulls from Cornwall, England

30/37:
    Dimond from Ireland
    Quinn from Ireland
    Thompson from Scotland
    Ivy, unknown origin

The bad news here is that the common patrilineal ancestor for these partial matches is probably 500 years ago or more. I am particularly surprised that they come from three different countries (England, Scotland, Ireland), although all are part of the British Isles.

Leave a comment:

• Northman
    Guest replied
    Dear Stevo, and rest of forum group..

Like you, I've embarked on a personal odyssey trying to determine where the I1c ( I1b2a) ancestors originated...!!

In correspondence with Ken Nordtvedt, and Grant South, whom you all are probably aware of, I've estbalished that I'm I1b2a Continental , and the likelihood is that my ancestor was an invader, possibly Danish. My Y line is recorded at YSearch under X7XHY, if anybody wants to compare...

The difficulty in ascribing a point of origin is, I've found, that with I1c, there's no single point of high conecntration...apart from Denmark, NW Germany and the Netherlands...Several different groups including the Danish Vikings, Saxons Angles, Jutes, Franks, all hail from there, and are almost indistiguishable genetic cousins....

What has helped me, and what may assit some of the group, is to look at your family's origins/location in your home country, and the derivation of your surname...

My family are all traditionally from what was originally the Danelaw, and the family surname is a Danish loanword...Kirk, so the evidence is compelling in favour of a Danish ancestry.

Hope this helps, and I'm entirely happy to correspond with anyone, who has a common obsession..!! sorry , interest, in this topic...

Best wishes,

Andy Kirk
    England.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    I1c is kind of cool, isn't it?

It seems that nobody knows much about it (beyond what Nordtvedt has written), and that gives it an air of mystery.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by DHD
    I also was recently reclassified as I1c (previously I.) I am very new to this and am still trying to wade through the terminology. The DNA I submitted was from my brother to ascertain our Holland origins - Holland as in surname, not country. It is the one line of my genealogy that I have been unable to make much progress on. My ancestor was from Co. Monaghan Ireland. The one 12-marker match that was found had an email address that bounced - quite frustrating. If anyone can explain the haplogroup change process to me in fairly simple terms, I'd appreciate it. Also, what is SNP ? Diane
    Since I1c is, according to Nordtvedt, found in quantity in the Netherlands, perhaps the name Holland was born by your ancestors because they came to Ireland from there.

Leave a comment:

• DHD
    Guest replied
    I have tested with 37 markers and am N6QC4 on y-search.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by DHD
    The one 12-marker match that was found had an email address that bounced - quite frustrating.
    Have you only tested 12 STR markers, or more than that? If you upload your markers to the Ysearch database, and tell us your username (not password) in that database, perhaps we can help you more.

Leave a comment:

• sterlingnotes
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevo
    Where have all you I1c folks gone?

This was an interesting discussion and caused me to learn a lot.

I would like to know if you have found out any more.

It's a shame that some people show up and post here a few times and then seem to disappear.

I'm curious about something.

You say you found out you were I1c via a deep clade test.

What did your initial STR results say? Just plain I?
    I think mine was originally predicted by FTDNA as I but was told that I needed an SNP test to confirm it. After that it was listed as haplogroup I. Once they offered the Deep HapI test I took that too and was reclassified as I1c.

Leave a comment:

• DHD
    Guest replied
    I1c

I also was recently reclassified as I1c (previously I.) I am very new to this and am still trying to wade through the terminology. The DNA I submitted was from my brother to ascertain our Holland origins - Holland as in surname, not country. It is the one line of my genealogy that I have been unable to make much progress on. My ancestor was from Co. Monaghan Ireland. The one 12-marker match that was found had an email address that bounced - quite frustrating. If anyone can explain the haplogroup change process to me in fairly simple terms, I'd appreciate it. Also, what is SNP ? Diane

Leave a comment:

• Merilinja
    Guest replied
    DNA Results Comparison

Thanks lgmayka!

This http://www.mymcgee.com/tools/yutility.html comparasion is nice and shows how big difference there can be with different mutation rates and databases.. When 25/25 means relation (95%) is between 350-780 years and 30/37 between 800-1680 years (95%) with differnet mutation rates and years generation and probabilitys there is very nice to think what is right and what is wrong.. If I was using calculator correctly.. I hope..

I hope tools and information will someday be closer than now.. Interesting to think...

Originally posted by lgmayka
    Another reference is this mailing list:

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/othe...ALOGY-DNA.html

You can search its archives, or even join it and ask a question.

With respect to the generational meaning of matches such as 25/25, here is FTDNA's view:

http://www.ftdna.com/faq2.html

Note, however, that many other sources consider FTDNA's table "optimistic"--i.e., they say that FTDNA's assumed mutation rate is much higher than the real mutation rate. Here is a more generic generational calculator that lets you specify your own mutation rate assumption:

http://www.mymcgee.com/tools/yutility.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X