Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200 matches and no matching surname!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 200 matches and no matching surname!

    Hi everyone,

    I have 230+ exact matches on the 12 marker, 3 exact matches on the 25 marker and zero on the 37 marker. I'm very excited about these matches but none of them share my surname! It's my understanding if you don't have the same surname as your matches, you're likely not related? A lot of my matches share the surname Presler/Presley/variations of these. I talked with one of my matches who said somebody in my family may have been adopted or out of wedlock. Nevertheless, I'm very confused because I have absolutely NO matches with my surname. Was I really matched with 200 people but none of them are related? I'm estranged from my family so I don't have a paper trail, and I feel stumped about genealogy.

  • #2
    A match at 12 markers is generally not significant, especially if your haplogroup is the most common one in Europe, R1b of some sort (for instance, R-M269). You may not have a common paternal line ancestor with a 12 marker match in over 1,000 years, before surnames came into common use. Also, 25 markers that don't hold up at the 37 marker level are probably not related in a genealogical time frame.

    It may be that you'll have to wait some time for a match at 37 markers. If any of your 3 matches at the 25 marker level haven't tested to 37 markers yet, it might be worthwhile to convince them to upgrade to 37 to see if the match holds.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by schnook View Post
      Hi everyone,

      I have 230+ exact matches on the 12 marker, 3 exact matches on the 25 marker and zero on the 37 marker. I'm very excited about these matches but none of them share my surname! It's my understanding if you don't have the same surname as your matches, you're likely not related? A lot of my matches share the surname Presler/Presley/variations of these. I talked with one of my matches who said somebody in my family may have been adopted or out of wedlock. Nevertheless, I'm very confused because I have absolutely NO matches with my surname. Was I really matched with 200 people but none of them are related? I'm estranged from my family so I don't have a paper trail, and I feel stumped about genealogy.
      If you are an exact match to someone at 67 markers and the same SNPs with a different surname then you can think about an NPE.

      Comment


      • #4
        I recently gave a webinar titled "Help, My Y-DNA Matches Have a Different Surname!"

        You can view it here:

        http://youtu.be/qiv0Ny6nvAY

        Elise

        Comment


        • #5
          All the people I was matched with at 25 have been tested at 37 bar one and none of them were a match to me. Even at 25 markers, most of them are a two-step match. Is a 67 marker test worth it? I really don't want to spend money only for the results to be disappointing.

          I'm R-M269, which makes these results even more frustrating. I hoped for more connections in a common haplogroup!

          Thanks Elise, I'll check that out tonight!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by schnook View Post
            All the people I was matched with at 25 have been tested at 37 bar one and none of them were a match to me. Even at 25 markers, most of them are a two-step match. Is a 67 marker test worth it? I really don't want to spend money only for the results to be disappointing.

            I'm R-M269, which makes these results even more frustrating. I hoped for more connections in a common haplogroup!

            Thanks Elise, I'll check that out tonight!
            Try some SNP tests. M269 is around 13,500 ybp.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by schnook View Post
              All the people I was matched with at 25 have been tested at 37 bar one and none of them were a match to me. Even at 25 markers, most of them are a two-step match. Is a 67 marker test worth it? I really don't want to spend money only for the results to be disappointing.
              If you have 0 matches at 37 markers then you will hav 0 matches at 67 markers. I would wait at least until another good sale. But you need patience and wait for a good match.

              Good luck.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post
                If you have 0 matches at 37 markers then you will hav 0 matches at 67 markers.
                That's not always true. If there is a person that matches him at 32 out of 37 markers but also 62 out of 67 markers then the match won't show up at 37 markers but will show up at 67 markers. This has happened to several people including some distant relatives of mine who have documentation back to the same common ancestor in the past 13 generations.

                A 62 out of 67 marker march could be from within the past 13 generations or from further back. DNA mutates randomly so the distance to the common ancestor varies.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Armando View Post
                  That's not always true. If there is a person that matches him at 32 out of 37 markers but also 62 out of 67 markers then the match won't show up at 37 markers but will show up at 67 markers. This has happened to several people including some distant relatives of mine who have documentation back to the same common ancestor in the past 13 generations.

                  A 62 out of 67 marker march could be from within the past 13 generations or from further back. DNA mutates randomly so the distance to the common ancestor varies.
                  Yes, you are correct (and I have seen that happen silly me), but even if that long shot were the case he still would not end up with a match with his surname or he would have seen it at 12 or 25 markers. @schnook try entering your data in YSearch and see if you find anything.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am I-Z63 and have an rare surname, I have no direct surname hits and have tested Y111 + BigY. I have 91 pages of Y matches, all bar 7 are Y12 GD 0 or 1 the other 7 matches are GD 2 at Y25. BigY I have 43 matches, 2 with 201/204 shared novel varients, 0 known snp difference.

                    I have first cousin R-L176, with common surname of Scott, has tested to Y111, he has 6 surname hits from list of 3 pages. 50% of his matches don't show as a match at Y12 but do higher up. He has 4 Y111 matches, 3 same surname of Scott GD 0,4,7 with the 4th non surname match is GD 9. (the Y111 0 GD match is a paternal uncle)

                    So as other have pointed out just because you don't match lower down don't mean you wont hgier up due to the filtering lower down.

                    Test as high as you can afford and join any relevant projects to get the most our of Y or mtDNA tests.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by schnook View Post
                      Hi everyone,

                      I have 230+ exact matches on the 12 marker, 3 exact matches on the 25 marker and zero on the 37 marker. I'm very excited about these matches but none of them share my surname! It's my understanding if you don't have the same surname as your matches, you're likely not related? A lot of my matches share the surname Presler/Presley/variations of these. I talked with one of my matches who said somebody in my family may have been adopted or out of wedlock. Nevertheless, I'm very confused because I have absolutely NO matches with my surname. Was I really matched with 200 people but none of them are related? I'm estranged from my family so I don't have a paper trail, and I feel stumped about genealogy.
                      My first cousin has 304 matches at the 12 marker level, 28 matches at the 25 marker level and 15 matches at the 37 marker level. He doesn't have ANY matches to his surname. This is not a surprise to me because our most distant male paternal ancestor in our line was mixed ethnicity back in the late 1600s.

                      We have always figured he either took his white mother's maiden name or just assumed a surname from some paternal 'figure'.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i have went into the thousand without a surname match, oh i have had matches but they came from a time before surnames

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When no surname matches...

                          I am not advocating using Big Y in that manner . Big Y was ordered for other reasons.

                          1600++ matches at 12 markers, around 100 at 25 markers, nobody at 37 and 67 markers (although at least a couple of 25 marker matches were only doing 25).

                          Matches at 25 markers with the verified terminal SNP split between R1b-M269, R1b-P312 and its subclades, R1b-U106 and its subclades.

                          Looking at Big Y matches one can verify that they are at least GD=2 with 12 markers, around 7 with 25 markers and around 11 at 37 markers...

                          A matching surname nowhere to be seen.

                          W. (Mr.)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey, thanks for everybody's help. Kind of neglected this thread because I chose to try sort out my paper trail again.

                            I ended up not upgrading to Y-67, because after I ordered a mtDNA test shortly after getting my Y-DNA results I got a mere 4 matches and it was a waste of money and huge disappointment so I wasn't prepared to waste money upgrading to Y-67!

                            Just ordered a Family Finder test instead, as I want to find my ethnic origins as well. Hoping for some results, regardless of the side of my family. Fingers crossed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Actually, I have one question.

                              My predicted haplogroup is R-M269. I'm considering ordering an SNP but I don't know what one to test for... To be honest, I'm a bit clueless with all of this.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X