Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very unusual STR value for DYS437

Hello everyone,

I've recently started a surname group and I currently have 2 other members in the group who share the same surname, Durkin. One of my members who was a 12/12 match just got the results for up to 25 markers. So now only 21 out of 25 of the markers are a match and one of those markers, DYS437, is a three step difference between me and the other member.

According to SMGF:

http://www.smgf.org/ychromosome/mark...?marker=DYS437

The vast majority of values for that marker should be 15, 16 or 17. In the recently posted results, the value is showing up as a 12, where for me and the other member it has a value of 15.

What I would like to know is if this STR value could be an error on FTDNA's part since having a 12 seems so rare (0.044%)? Is this something that we should ask FTDNA to redo? Or could this be just some sort of rare occurance with that particular STR that is real but skewing the results to make it appear that we much more distantly related than we really are?

If anyone want to look at the surname group members, you can look at this URL:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ion=ycolorized

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Mike Durkin

I never looked at the Y-DNA results that way...

14 is a very common value for DYS437. I can see occasional 13. And if you look at the third page of the Viking Y-DNA Project Y-DNA results you can see value of 11 for kit N113864.

Comment

Rare mutations do happen.

But for peace of mind, you can request a "marker review" through Customer Support. They'll submit a request to the lab to review the results of the test and make sure the correct value was called for that marker.

Elise

Comment

Very unusual STR value for DYS437

Originally posted by efgen View Post
        Rare mutations do happen.

But for peace of mind, you can request a "marker review" through Customer Support. They'll submit a request to the lab to review the results of the test and make sure the correct value was called for that marker.

Elise

Thanks Elise. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. I looked at one of the other projects I belong to just to see if there were any occurances of 12 for DYS437, and there was only one out of the several hundred I looked at.

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

Very unusual STR value for DYS437

Just thought I would post an update.

Turns out that the values for DYS437 and DYS438 were switched when they were entered, which brings the values to withing the expected range. They have corrected the mixup.

-Mike Durkin

Comment

Thank you for the update!

Originally posted by mdurkin View Post
            Just thought I would post an update.

Turns out that the values for DYS437 and DYS438 were switched when they were entered, which brings the values to withing the expected range. They have corrected the mixup.

-Mike Durkin
            Your update is a very bad piece of news though. I had thought that this part of the process was entirely automated.

W.

Comment

I am also request a "marker review",1 week ago,still not get any reply.

Comment

During this time,I sent a second request after 10 days no information.Today I got a reply, they will info lab lead tech to check.

Comment

Originally posted by mdurkin View Post
                  Hello everyone,

I've recently started a surname group and I currently have 2 other members in the group who share the same surname, Durkin. One of my members who was a 12/12 match just got the results for up to 25 markers. So now only 21 out of 25 of the markers are a match and one of those markers, DYS437, is a three step difference between me and the other member.

According to SMGF:

http://www.smgf.org/ychromosome/mark...?marker=DYS437

The vast majority of values for that marker should be 15, 16 or 17. In the recently posted results, the value is showing up as a 12, where for me and the other member it has a value of 15.

What I would like to know is if this STR value could be an error on FTDNA's part since having a 12 seems so rare (0.044%)? Is this something that we should ask FTDNA to redo? Or could this be just some sort of rare occurance with that particular STR that is real but skewing the results to make it appear that we much more distantly related than we really are?

If anyone want to look at the surname group members, you can look at this URL:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ion=ycolorized

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Mike Durkin

Frequencies for the occurrence of STR's should be refreshed from the the current haplogroup project participant lists. What is presented by SMGF is seriously out of date. More specifically frequencies should be based upon a haplogroup region which includes the individual of interest.

I updated the frequencies for the R-U106 project and created ones for 7 major haplogroup regions under U106. There are some distribution changes present due to additional number of samples and a larger number of European continental samples in the data set. Modal values for these regions are different compared to the aggregated U106 frequency results.

Comment

Looks like same happened to me, explains my lack of matches at Y-25 for known 4th cousins

Comment

Working...
                    X