No announcement yet.

NPEs in an Irish Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious if any of the Barry's are Irish type IV. I have one list that shows a Barry, Irish type IV with an origin that is thought to be Scottish. From what I have read the Irish type IV is thought to be of Norman origin.

Comment

Originally posted by crhfish View Post
      I'm curious if any of the Barry's are Irish type IV. I have one list that shows a Barry, Irish type IV with an origin that is thought to be Scottish. From what I have read the Irish type IV is thought to be of Norman origin.
      We have only two, distantly related Barry men in the project who are Irish type IV out of 98 test results. The largest group, 27 men, is R1b-Z49.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
        There are no men in our current sample of nearly 100 who are in the G haplogroup, so if the remains test in that haplogroup there either was an NPE in his line, in all of the other lines in our sample, or in both sets.

FYI, currently the distribution of major haplogroups in the 98 men tested is:

E1b:1
        I1: 9
        I2: 6
        R1b: 82

Within R1b we have:

L21: 47, in 8 different subclades
        Z49: 27
        U106: 4
        DF27: 2
        Unknown: 2

Jim
        G was found in ancient remains in France and one would expect some of the Normans to belong in that haplogroup. It looks as if all 98 at present are all NPEs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
          G was found in ancient remains in France and one would expect some of the Normans to belong in that haplogroup. It looks as if all 98 at present are all NPEs.
          The latest research indicates that the Barry family's origin was more likely in Flanders than in Normandy.

Comment

I asked the question about the Irish IV because I find that group strange and I belong 100%. My surname is Hays. I do not match any Hays/Hayes, not even close. But I do match several folks that are Irish IV at the y67 in the 2,3,4 genetic distance. At first I though I had a NPE, and I still may, but the more I let matches roll in, the more I think the southern area of Ireland was late to adopt surnames at least among some of the folks there. I have read that the Normans did not use surnames, perhaps it carried over. Perhaps that has created the situation you are looking at.

I started my y search to hopefully get some answers and so far all I have are more questions. I have some tests waiting on results so perhaps some new information will help.

Comment

I asked the question about the Irish IV because I find that group strange and I belong 100%. My surname is Hays. I do not match any Hays/Hayes, not even close. But I do match several folks that are Irish IV at the y67 in the 2,3,4 genetic distance. At first I though I had a NPE, and I still may, but the more I let matches roll in, the more I think the southern area of Ireland was late to adopt surnames at least among some of the folks there. I have read that the Normans did not use surnames, perhaps it carried over. Perhaps that has created the situation you are looking at.

I started my y search to hopefully get some answers and so far all I have are more questions. I have some tests waiting on results so perhaps some new information will help.
              Also,in Ireland first names became surnames and I think that there were at least 20,000 in the Irish Annals. In the past Mahon was a popular first name so the son would be called MacMahon. That is why there so many MacMahons with different SNPs. That does not mean that they are all NPEs.

Comment

The Irish personal name Aodh pronounced ay and the surname became O'hAodh anglicised Hays and Hayes. Lots of clans used this personal name.

Comment

Working...
                X