• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mollyblum
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2012

Where is DF27 or R1b1a2a1a2a from?

My father is adopted and we think we know who is birth father is but if so there is most likely an NPE in his line bc my father matches a family group that has extensively tested and his line matches the Vicar of Cranbrook William Eddye from 1500-1600 Kent England. Vicar's father is unknown.

Just transferring my Y-DNA 46 data from Ancestry where it shows we are R1b. No other info. I joined the project here- still no info on time for FtDNA to put my info up or help me but project admin is able to assign my brother/father's info to DF27. I am confused though bc my FF ancestry origins, etc all point toward this male being Irish or English and my understanding is this haplogroup is a majority in the Basque community and Iberia? I do have some unknown Spanish ancestry in Origins and on GEDMATCH admixture that pops up but not a majority while I do have a large Irish population and match to people on Family finder.

Does anyone have further info? It's difficult with FtDNA not uploading my info and not responding to my questions when that will happen.

So I cannot do any further upgrades until then.
  • Armando
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2009

There are a lot of people from outside of Iberia that are DF27. See the DF27 project results https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ction=yresults

Just because an SNP is found at it's highest frequency in a certain region doesn't mean it is exclusive to that region.

73256 Samuel Eddy b1608 Cranbrook, Kent ENG DF19- L238- R1b1a2a1a1b R-P312

Whose tests are:
    DF19-, L11+, L165-, L176.2-, L21-, L238-, M126-, M153-, M160-, M173+, M18-, M207+, M222-, M269+, M343+, M37-, M65-, M73-, P107-, P25+, P310+, P311+, P312+, P66-, SRY2627-, U106-, U152-, U198-

I got that from https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/4821

You should order the DF27 to confirm your father is DF27. Then if positive you should order the Z195 test.

Comment

• Armando
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2009

Just because an SNP is found at it's highest frequency in a certain region doesn't mean it is exclusive to that region. There are a lot of people from outside of Iberia that are DF27. See the DF27 project results.

73256 Samuel Eddy b1608 Cranbrook, Kent ENG DF19- L238- R1b1a2a1a1b R-P312

Whose tests are:
      DF19-, L11+, L165-, L176.2-, L21-, L238-, M126-, M153-, M160-, M173+, M18-, M207+, M222-, M269+, M343+, M37-, M65-, M73-, P107-, P25+, P310+, P311+, P312+, P66-, SRY2627-, U106-, U152-, U198-

You should order the DF27 to confirm your father is DF27. Then if positive you should order the Z195 test.

Comment

• Armando
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2009

Two posts and both are awaiting a moderator.

Comment

• Armando
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2009

You should get further testing. It will be the only way to confirm anything.

Comment

• EastAnglian
            MtDNA: U3a | Big Y Pending
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
            My father is adopted and we think we know who is birth father is but if so there is most likely an NPE in his line bc my father matches a family group that has extensively tested and his line matches the Vicar of Cranbrook William Eddye from 1500-1600 Kent England. Vicar's father is unknown.

Just transferring my Y-DNA 46 data from Ancestry where it shows we are R1b. No other info. I joined the project here- still no info on time for FtDNA to put my info up or help me but project admin is able to assign my brother/father's info to DF27. I am confused though bc my FF ancestry origins, etc all point toward this male being Irish or English and my understanding is this haplogroup is a majority in the Basque community and Iberia? I do have some unknown Spanish ancestry in Origins and on GEDMATCH admixture that pops up but not a majority while I do have a large Irish population and match to people on Family finder.

Does anyone have further info? It's difficult with FtDNA not uploading my info and not responding to my questions when that will happen.

Although DF27 has its hotspot in Iberia it is also found in other places, the SNP DF27 dates from the Bronze Age and as you can imagine those with that SNP will have moved to lots of different places since then.

So in terms of tracing the paternal lineage of your father you have reached the Bronze Age, the discovery of further SNPs below DF27 will move you further forward chronologically.

If your looking to confirm that your father does belong to this line you should concentrate on STR matches, not SNP matches. First port of call is to check what surname matches he has under the ydna section on your FTDNA account, does he have any matches there?

I also suggest that you should increase the number of markers you are testing to at least 67.

Comment

• Zaru
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jun 2007

Anywhere.

DF27 is not specific to any geographical location other than Europe. There are a fair amount of results that are spread about western coastal Europe, which would include BI, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Germany, France.

Given the location and date of this possible man from Cranbrook, Kent, I would say that the possibility of a Dutch ancestry is quite high. Kent was a hotspot for Dutch immigrants as it sits directly across the channel from Benelux region. A study on "Stranger Churches" revealed that Kent had a high proclivity of Dutch Strangers living in Kent at the time, and "Dutch Alms" for the poor became a common practice. The records in Belgium and Netherlands are very sparse up until Napoleon's reign.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

• Stevo
                R1b-FGC36981
                • Apr 2006

There is a pretty good distribution map for R-DF27 here. Just scroll down to find it.

Comment

• thetick
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jul 2010

History and description of Haplogroup R1b (Y-chromosomal DNA) and its subclades. Haplogroup R1b is the dominant paternal lineage in Western Europe. It represents the Greco-Anatolian, Italic, Celtic and Germanic branches of the Indo-European speakers.

Comment

• Gary in Scotland
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2015

Eddys of New York State

Molly, I am kit # 73256 and I am also getting a lot of Irish matches. Have just got back the results of YSEQ in Berlin, Germany, and have found a rare marker, Y5058.

My grandfather was Don Eddy born in Silver Springs, Co. Wyoming, NY.

What is the name of your father's father?

William Eddye b. unk d. 1616, Cranbrook, Kent, England
                    Samuel Eddy b. 1608 Cranbrook, Kent, England d. 1687 MA.
                    Zachariah Eddy b. 1639 Plymouth, MA. d. 1718 Swansea, MA.
                    John Eddy b. 1666 MA. d. 1726 RI.
                    Charles Eddy b. 1703 MA. d. 1771 CT.
                    Asa Eddy b. 1727 CT. d.1774 MA.
                    Josiah Eddy b. 1755 CT. d. 1827 NY.
                    Samuel Eddy b. 1799/1800 VT. d. abt. 1865 NY
                    Oscar L. Eddy b. 1827 NY. d. 1917 NY.
                    Byron O. Eddy b. 1861 NY. d. 1919 NY.
                    Louis H. Eddy b. 1895 NY. d. 1957 NY.
                    Joseph Donald "Don" Eddy b. 1915 NY. d. 1974 NY.
                    Donald Nelson Eddy b. 1937 NY. d. 2004 FL.
                    Test 73256

Comment

• Jan 2009

DF27 originated in Iberia.

Comment

• Armando
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                        DF27 originated in Iberia.
                        YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROOF

Comment

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                          DF27 diversity in Iberia is proof. JMHO.

Comment

• Stevo
                            R1b-FGC36981
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                            You're right; he has zero proof, but that has never stopped him from making bald assertions like that before.

I'd be interested in seeing him actually provide some support for his claim that DF27 originated in Iberia. (I'm talking about real support, not just more assertions.)

Comment

• Armando
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                              DF27 diversity in Iberia is proof. JMHO.
                              It is not a humble opinion if you make statements in bold font.

You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the diversity. The diversity in Iberia also exists outside of Iberia.

There has only been one worldwide study that includes DF27 and it is the one by Richard Rocca based on HGDP populations which only has 209 R1b-M269 participants (which is way too low) and the only places in Europe that were tested were England, Scotland, Tuscany, Spain, and Finland, people from Utah with European ancestry, and Latin Americans (some of which have Iberian through the paternal line).

The FTDNA projects have a testing bias because it is mostly people from the U.S. and northwestern Europe that have been tested. Even so there are many people from outside of Iberia that are DF27 and almost every single subclade of DF27 has people from other parts of Europe as well as people from Iberia.

The YFull site has the Iberian HGDP populations that are DF27 as well as BigY participants which are mostly people from the U.S. and northwest Europe that are interested in and have the ability to purchase the test. Regardless, you can see that almost every single subclade of DF27 includes both Iberians and non-Iberians from Europe. http://www.yfull.com/tree/R-DF27/

France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Poland, and others are severely understudied when it comes to DF27. Direct to consumer DNA testing is illegal in France so a major academic study needs to be done there.
                              Last edited by Armando; 16 June 2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X