What if I'm female and want to know paternal ancestors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yaffa
    • May 2007

Paternal Ancestor

Originally posted by rainbow
    In your case I hope your bio dad's brother is his brother thru the same father and not just the mother.

In my case, my bio father has one sister. And he has 3 brothers and 2 more sisters, but they are my fathers half siblings. They have the same mother but not the same father. It would be interesting to me what their admixture test results would be, if they have Native American on their mothers side.
    My fathers father had brothers that had sons, I thought they knew of me because I had been corresponding with a great aunt for years, but it turns out she never told anyone about me, just as my grandmother never told her family about me either. My fathers cousins have an online family forum, but I was quickly banned. That was years ago. So...I doubt they'd do the Y-dna test for me, and I couldn't care less anymore. Besides, if there was a non-paternal event somewhere, it wouldn't be accurate anyway.
    At least I managed to get the paternity test done years ago.
    Rainbow.

Did you ever try contacting the lab that did your paternity test to see if your dad's DNA is still on file? You may be able to get a Y test done off that DNA. Just a thought.

Jodi

Comment

• rainbow
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Yaffa
      Rainbow.

Did you ever try contacting the lab that did your paternity test to see if your dad's DNA is still on file? You may be able to get a Y test done off that DNA. Just a thought.

Jodi
      I have thought of that, I wish I could do that, but I don't think I can do that because it's not my property. It was a court ordered test. If the lab still has it it belongs to the state.

Comment

• Yaffa
        • May 2007

A Thought

I have thought of that, I wish I could do that, but I don't think I can do that because it's not my property. It was a court ordered test. If the lab still has it it belongs to the state.
        being that you are his legal daughter, you might be able to get another court order to get it. My bio father was in Jackson memorial before he died in 1986. I called there to see if they still had his DNA in 2005. They threw out all their slides I needed 2 months before I called. This is why my sister and I had to X Test. Try to get it before all is lost.

Jodi

Comment

• rainbow
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jun 2006

being that you are his legal daughter, you might be able to get another court order to get it. My bio father was in Jackson memorial before he died in 1986. I called there to see if they still had his DNA in 2005. They threw out all their slides I needed 2 months before I called. This is why my sister and I had to X Test. Try to get it before all is lost.

Jodi
          Thanks Jodi. You're right, I should at least try. I just sent an email to Roche lab to ask if they still have his blood from the paternity test and if it can be sent to other companies for YDNA and admixture analysis. I hope it's the right Roche. I didn't put too much detail in the email.

I also have a copy of some of his medical records, including blood tests results, put away somewhere that he handed me years ago at court, but he used a fake name, Aaron Burr, I think, the name of the man that shot Hamilton, on those medical records.

Comment

• Yaffa
            • May 2007

Thanks Jodi. You're right, I should at least try. I just sent an email to Roche lab to ask if they still have his blood from the paternity test and if it can be sent to other companies for YDNA and admixture analysis. I hope it's the right Roche. I didn't put too much detail in the email.

I also have a copy of some of his medical records, including blood tests results, put away somewhere that he handed me years ago at court, but he used a fake name, Aaron Burr, I think, the name of the man that shot Hamilton, on those medical records.
            I wish you luck and hope you get his DNA. My sister and I had called and tried everything but I guess we were too late.My father was deceased since 1986. That X-STR test was the only way for me to prove paternity. Now my male cousin, who is the only male from my father's father's side said he will take a Y-dna for Dad's side. I hope you have the same success. Keep me posted

Jodi

Comment

• Donald Locke
              FTDNA Customer
              • Nov 2004

To Rainbow
              Actually if your family tree has been traced and you do know for a fact who the step siblings are and who are the blood descendants, why not go back 1 more generation in the tree and ask a 1st couisin to test in your fathers place? By going back 1 more generation in the tree prior to the adoption / surname change event, you then should have your true bio fathers Y chromosome that is found in one of his male cousins who wouldn't be associated with that event in your direct line.

I know I keep harping on this issue, but it is an easy issue to resolve for you ladies. And like Cinda said, it was an uncomfortable situation asking for a DNA sample from a family member who you don't know personally. But offer that family member a free test and he will likely agree to be tested.

Ladies, I don't know all my family, yet I have 6 male cousins now tested!
              I have finally gotten to meet face to face 2 of my cousins only very recently! It is difficult to ask family whom you have never met before to DNA test, but if I can do it so can you!
              My cousins are very distantly related to me, our common male ancestor was born in 1699 and 3 of his sons were born in the 1760's, yes he was in his 60's when he fathered the last 3 children, hey it happens! lol.

So my distant cousins all came out of 3 differnt brothers lines dating back to the 1760's, so my cousins are very distantly related to me. But because I had traced my family tree using the paper records, with the help of many other cousins, we were confident we would all be a DNA match, and we were a good DNA match.
              I could have opted to DNA test cousins much closer to me, but I was proving a point to my family that regardless of the genetic distance, we would still be a good match.

There are still 3 more brothers family's whom I wish to get tested, but because we already have a solid paper trail for the other 3 brothers, it is sort of redundant to get the rest of the family tested at this point.
              There were 7 sons in all born to my USA immigrant, 3 of the sons lines have tested and matched each other.

So like I said the first time, use the paper records to find the male cousins to your father who wouldn't be associated with step children from your direct branch. It is easier then you might expect!
              The hard part is once they are found, is asking them to test for you.

I would also highly suggest you get involved in your fathers surname, find email lists and message boards for his surname. By posting your family information on the email lists and message boards, you can hopefully find your cousins.
              Between the email lists and message boards, and my own personal web site, I have been in contact with quite a lot of my cousins from all sides of my family tree.

I have found that many men who are not interested in their family tree, will not agree to DNA test unless you pay for it, then he will often agree to be tested because it didn't come out of his own pocket. Yes men can be cheep! lol Sorry guys, you know who you are!

In the Locke DNA project, there are by far, more female researchers working on the many family trees then men. We have had several of the ladies pay for the mens tests because other wise, the men wouldn't have been tested.
              As the Admin of the Locke project, I am in contact with the lady who purchased the test, not the male participant himself because he didn't want to be involved.
              That could be one thing to discuss with a willing family member, if he doesn't want to be involved other then to test for you, just put your email address on his contact information so you get all the email queries, not your family member.

In the Locke project, the project has used donations to pay for 12 marker kits for men who I know could afford it, and some Admin's wouldn't agree to pay for a kit if they knew the man could afford it.
              I have a differnt oppinion on that, so what if he is cheep or not interested, if we pay for his test, that is 1 more man in the project that we wouldn't have had if we insisted he pay for it himself.

The point for me is, to get as many differnt lineages tested, even if his test has to be paid for with dontations to the project.
              I would also highly suggest to you ladies that you can help a project out in a big way by making donations. It is thanks to the many donations to the Locke project, that the project has paid for 5 free 12 marker kits, that is 5 more men in the project that we wouldn't have had, had it not been for the donations. And has helped pay for upgrades.

Some project Admin's may not deal with the donations part of the project, but I rely on the donations to get more men involved. Heck, I even got 1 company to make a small donation just for posting a link to thier web site on my web site. I made a 1 year agreement with this company to promote their web site for a donation. That 1 year agreement has since expired, but I keep looking for anyway to find donations because it can play a vital roll in getting more men tested.

Find a project of interest to you and help them by making a donation, even a few dollars adds up.
              On the Lock and Locke email lists alone, there are around 200 members at any given time, I keep telling all the members that if each of us dontate $1.00 a month, we could pay for a lot of free tests, and could pay for upgrades. $1.00 a month for each email list member isn't really a lot to ask for considering all the free research that I do for everyone.
              $12.00 a year, heck you could spend that in one trip to a fast food place! lol.

I am on a fixed income, so I know how tight money can be, but if I can pay for in full a 12 marker kit for someone I am not related to once in a great while, I know that with enough people involved making smaller donations that a lot more kits could be ordered and passed out.
              And really that is our goals isn't it? To see which branches we do have a match to which in turn could help further our understanding of our own family trees?

While discussing some family trees with one of my distant cousins, I was telling him certain branches could be related to us, but I hadn't proven it using the paper records yet. My cousin popped off and said lets get them tested and donated 300 bucks! I wasn't even asking him for money, but because I showed him my reseach and showed him that it was possible some other branches could be related to our branch, he jumped right in and made a big donation which wasn't asked of nor expected.

1 kit that he paid for ended up being a 65/67 match to me, I paid for the fist 12 markers, he paid for the remaining markers to the 67 marker kit. The other 12 marker kit was a bust, he wasn't in any way related, but it proved to both of us that 1 branch was not related and that we could stop trying to connect that one branch.
              Either way it was a win win situation! He could afford the donation, and he did so without being asked. I wish it was always that easy to get dontations lol. The 65/67 match was to a England branch that we do not have a paper trail linking us together yet. So the money was very well spent and did prove an English / American kinship between 2 branches.

I can only hope other project Admin's are working on getting donations because it can play a vital roll in getting more men tested around the globe.
              So you ladies do have another roll that you can play by helping the Y projects get much needed donations. I know when you ladies get involved in any project, you all can make things happen in a big way!

Comment

• rainbow
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Donald Locke
                To Rainbow
                Actually if your family tree has been traced and you do know for a fact who the step siblings are and who are the blood descendants, why not go back 1 more generation in the tree and ask a 1st couisin to test in your fathers place? By going back 1 more generation in the tree prior to the adoption / surname change event, you then should have your true bio fathers Y chromosome that is found in one of his male cousins who wouldn't be associated with that event in your direct line.

So like I said the first time, use the paper records to find the male cousins to your father who wouldn't be associated with step children from your direct branch. It is easier then you might expect!
                The hard part is once they are found, is asking them to test for you.

I would also highly suggest you get involved in your fathers surname, find email lists and message boards for his surname. By posting your family information on the email lists and message boards, you can hopefully find your cousins.
                Between the email lists and message boards, and my own personal web site, I have been in contact with quite a lot of my cousins from all sides of my family tree.
                I did find them and contact them years ago and found the family forum. They were all my blood relatives, all were my fathers cousins on his fathers side, they would all have the same YDNA as my father. They were not stepchildren. I was quickly banned from the family forum. The 'family' has splintered into different factions not speaking to each other, in each generation. My father had nothing to do with, no contact, with his cousins. It was his cousins that I found and they wanted nothing to do with me, just as my father wanted nothing to do with me. There are "bad blood" factions on both sides of my "family", on my fathers side and on my mothers side. It's a recurring theme, generational.
                I am more interested in my what my fathers admixture analysis would be than in his Ydna. He would most likely be R1a or R1b. My fathers fathers fathers surname has had at least 3 different spellings, and is found in so many places, from India to Ireland. That side is Czech, but the earliest European record I could find is Bremen, Germany.
                My mothers AncestryByDna had no Native American. I want to know what my fathers percentage is. Why do I have 17% ? That's what I want to know.

Thanks for the well-meaning advice.
                Last edited by rainbow; 25 September 2007, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• rainbow
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2006

I'm waiting to hear from Roche lab. I had emailed the Canadian branch and they emailed me to tell me they forwarded my email to the U.S. affiliate of Roche Diagnostics.
                  It would be nice if I could have my fathers blood tested for admixture analysis and Ydna. We had HLA testing done thru Roche.

His own personal medical papers, that my father handed to me in the courthouse, has a bogus name on it, so I don't think that medical facility could help me. I wished the court looked at the papers for me before it was given to me during one of the hearings. I was so stressed out at that time and that is why I didn't notice the fake name on there. I never before heard of anyone using a fake name at the doctor's, so that was completely unexpected. He used the name "Aaron Burr". He has something called osteomyelitis.
                  Last edited by rainbow; 25 September 2007, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Yaffa
                    • May 2007

Another Thought

I'm waiting to hear from Roche lab. I had emailed the Canadian branch and they emailed me to tell me they forwarded my email to the U.S. affiliate of Roche Diagnostics.
                    It would be nice if I could have my fathers blood tested for admixture analysis and Ydna. We had HLA testing done thru Roche.

His own personal medical papers, that my father handed to me in the courthouse, has a bogus name on it, so I don't think that medical facility could help me. I wished the court looked at the papers for me before it was given to me during one of the hearings. I was so stressed out at that time and that is why I didn't notice the fake name on there. I never before heard of anyone using a fake name at the doctor's, so that was completely unexpected. He used the name "Aaron Burr". He has something called osteomyelitis.
                    Rainbow,

You could report the issue of the false name to the court. If the Judge is still alive I would find out his address, send him copies of the medical and paternity results with a letter. If he is not still practicing or still alive, I would petition the court and demand it be corrected being that you have a paternity test as proof.

I am in the process of the same thing with my adoption and my biological mother's adoption. Both the info in my adoption is false and so is my biological mothers. My mother's is worse because my grandmother put 3 different names on my mothers adoption and her original BC doesn't match up to the adoption. She also lied about my mother's heritage and passed her off a a white baby. I am truly a wakling biological mess.

Jodi

Comment

• rainbow
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jun 2006

Rainbow,

You could report the issue of the false name to the court. If the Judge is still alive I would find out his address, send him copies of the medical and paternity results with a letter. If he is not still practicing or still alive, I would petition the court and demand it be corrected being that you have a paternity test as proof.

I am in the process of the same thing with my adoption and my biological mother's adoption. Both the info in my adoption is false and so is my biological mothers. My mother's is worse because my grandmother put 3 different names on my mothers adoption and her original BC doesn't match up to the adoption. She also lied about my mother's heritage and passed her off a a white baby. I am truly a wakling biological mess.

Jodi
                      I don't think you or anyone is a walking biological mess. We're just living, breathing rainbows.

Comment

• Yaffa
                        • May 2007

Rainbow

I don't think you or anyone is a walking biological mess. We're just living, breathing rainbows.
                        I like the Idea of being called a rainbow, my adoption papers make me look a mess. 2 generations of false papers.

Jodi

Comment

• rainbow
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jun 2006

update: I haven't heard from Roche Diagnostics.
                          Last edited by rainbow; 5 October 2007, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Yaffa
                            • May 2007

can hurt

update: I haven't heard from Roche Diagnostics.
                            Cant hurt to follow up on your email with a phone call

Comment

• rainbow
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jun 2006

Cant hurt to follow up on your email with a phone call
                              I emailed them again, the Canada branch, to ask them to ask the U.S. affiliate again. Then I got an email from US "communications" saying that Roche Diagnostics only makes the equipment and that I have to contact the physician that did the test or the NY. I replied to "communications" to say that the test was done by Roche Labs, in Manhattan, and to please check the records. Haven't heard from them again. I didn't have a physician. The office where the blood was drawn was Roche Labs.

Comment

• rainbow
                                FTDNA Customer
                                • Jun 2006

Checked my email. Roche Diagnostics Communications emailed me again and said they make diagnostic equipment and pharmaceuticals, and they googled Roche Labs and gave me a phone & address list for five Roche Biomedical Labs in Manhattan. I can call them.
                                When I googled Roche I thought Roche was all one company.

Comment

Working...
                                X