How often do you get YDNA matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you get YDNA matches?

Obviously the results depend a lot on your YDNA origins, but my rate of receiving new matches seems pretty slow.

My Y testing was completed in early 2011, and since then my new matches (let's say Y37, since that's a pretty common lowest level now) has been averaging less than one per month:

29 Apr 2011 (my testing complete): 46 matches
    May-Dec 2011 (7 months): 5 new matches
    2012 (12 months): 11 new matches
    Jan-Oct 2013 (10 months): 9 new matches

The good news is that the trickle is about the same. Compare this to Ancestry's Y46 test, which I had (probably foolishly) done in Jan 2011. In the nearly three years since that was completed, I have a grand total of ONE new match there.

My question to you all is, is this typical in your experience?

I have 4 matches at 37 markers from day one (Nov 2012) and none since. All are 4-step.

Bob H.

Comment

For what it's worth, for my 37-marker test, I have had two matches since Oct 2011, one three-steps, one four-steps off. None since. I'm I1a. On the other hand, at 37 markers my R1a cousin has had 154 matches: 4 zero-steps, 11 one-steps, 40 two-steps, 59 three-steps, 40 four-steps. He's getting new matches at about one every two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by nmcconnell1 View Post
        For what it's worth, for my 37-marker test, I have had two matches since Oct 2011, one three-steps, one four-steps off. None since. I'm I1a. On the other hand, at 37 markers my R1a cousin has had 154 matches: 4 zero-steps, 11 one-steps, 40 two-steps, 59 three-steps, 40 four-steps. He's getting new matches at about one every two weeks.
        Everyone in the I1a subgroup are all cousins of yours.

Comment

I just have this:

Y-DNA - Haplogroup Origins
          Genetic Distance - 1
          Haplogroup Country Comment Count
          R1b1a2 Unknown Origin

Comment

since july 20, 2013, the first and last matching of my y-dna37 test...NO match!
            y-dna haplogroup origins, at 12 markers genetic distance 1 - two (2).
            y-dna ancestral origins, at 12 markers genetic distance 1 - three (3).
            perhaps, this is expected for Hg O because only few have been tested yet.

Comment

I average one new match per week, but I'm two steps off modal at 67 marks from one of the Irish R1b subgroups.

Comment

While I've tested to 67 marker, closest I've got is 7 matches at 25 marker all are 2 steps. of these 2 were in 2010, 1 in 2011 4 in 2012.

I have turned off the show 12 markers results, because they are too numerous and too far away (genetic distance) to be of much use.

Comment

I average one 25 marker match per month.

I have no 37 marker matches, no 67 marker matches, nor any 111 marker matches.

Comment

As for myself, I only get a Y-DNA match once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                      Everyone in the I1a subgroup are all cousins of yours.
                      Well, yes, but Ken Nordvedt puts my I1a-Z382's MRCA at about 2,900 years ago. At arbitrarily 25 years per generation, that gives 116 generations, which means I have tons of 114th (and below) cousins wandering around out there. And considering that we ALL descend from NatGeo's genetic Adam...

It's mostly about people not caring about/not wanting the testing. My 5G-grandfather had five sons, all of whom lived to adulthood and had children, so there have to be quite a few male-line descendants around today. Only three correctly-surnamed men, besides me, have taken the Y FTDNA test. Neither of my wife's brothers will take the test, after I bought the thing ("I'll think about it."). Oh well. Complain, complain

Comment

I have about 1500 12/12 marker matches. So what.. 99% are statistical coincidences or perhaps very distant cousins, from before surnames (1500s??)

I get about 100 new matches a year for 12 markers. I just delete them.

At 25 markers, it drops down to 92 matches at 23 or better. But only 3 are a perfect 25/25. I have about a dozen of my surname who match me (several of whom I recruited, mostly 5th cousins). I do see some surnames pop up several times. Also I have several Finnish matches, which is rather odd. We think we are Welsh.

I get about a dozen new matches at 25 every year. I tend to look at them briefly before I delete them.

At 37, I have 9 matches total. 8 of whom are my surname. One person at 33, that I don't know how he got there. Perhaps his ancestor was an Abrams 300 years ago. The other surnames and Finnish matches from 25 markers have disappeared. Apparently did not make the cut of 33/37.

I would be very interested in any new 37 marker matches, but I haven't gotten one in quite awhile, and I recruited or paid for some of the existing ones.

At 67 markers, there are just 4 of my same-name 5th cousins. None of has tested for 111.

Comment

Almost never. My grandfather has 4 exact matches and a couple dozen 1-steps at 12 markers and nothing above that.

Comment

Originally posted by nmcconnell1 View Post
                            Neither ... will take the test, after I bought the thing ("I'll think about it."). Oh well. Complain, complain
                            Sigh. I understand all too well. Bought tests for husband and mother in law last christmas, and the tests STILL aren't taken.

Comment

I've never had a match.

Comment

Working...
                              X