No matches on the 37 marker test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matches on the 37 marker test.

I recently took the Family Tree DNA Y-DNA 37 test. At the 25thmarker I came up as an exact match with 21 other people. I had no matches for the 37markers. I’m new to genealogy and DNA testing . The majority people I matched at the 25 test were named either St.Clair or Sinclair. I did not match anyone on the 37 marker test. As far as I know I'm Italian decent on my fathers side of the family. How far back would a common relative be with those 21 matches, back to Ancient Celtic times or more recent?

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Faitocs

Hello,

Your results are definitely a little confusing; the confusion may lay in the search criteria you used. When you go to your 'Matches' screen, try changing the options to the following:

Show matches for: The Entire Database
    For: 37 Markers
    Distance: All

Then click on "Run Report" and have a look at your results... You should still see some Sinclairs or St. Clairs in the results, unless the third panel of DNA markers (26 through 37) are all different from theirs (highly unlikely).

The other reason you may not see any Sinclairs or St. Clairs in the 37 marker results screen is if they did not test more than 25 markers, for some reason.

Also, are you certain that you have 21 exact matches at 25 markers? When you view the 25 marker matches, how many people have a value of "0" in the Steps category (column furthest to the left)? This seems highly unlikely that you would have this many perfect matches, as typically a perfect match at 25 markers indicates that you share a common ancestor with these people only one or two generations ago - therefore, they would all have to be your brothers or male first cousins.

Unless your father or grandfather made copious donations to a sperm bank, this doesn't seem likely lol Let me know what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlin Brewster View Post
      This seems highly unlikely that you would have this many perfect matches, as typically a perfect match at 25 markers indicates that you share a common ancestor with these people only one or two generations ago - therefore, they would all have to be your brothers or male first cousins.
      Cannot be right. I have 6 at this level, and four surnames are involved. There's only a 94% chance I've shared a common male ancestor with them in the last 400 years, or 60% in the last 120 years. Perfect matches out at the 111 level would be indicative of just a few generations ago.

I do agree that stepping up from 25 to 37 and not just separating by a step or two is unusual. It would almost have to be the case that none of those 21 matches has tested at a higher level.

Comment

Have you uploaded your results to ysearch?

If you have a ysearch ID number we can look at your results and may be able to say something about your results.
        Or are your results in a Project that we can view.

It is possible that you match at 25 markers but you have enough variance in results at 37 that you have no matches.

Comment

Sometimes the majority of the matches are in one panel.
          In my case for example i have:
          5 matches at 25
          8 matches at 37
          13 matches at 67

My best match is 5 steps at 67 and he did not appear in 25 or 37 levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlin Brewster View Post
            Hello,

Your results are definitely a little confusing; the confusion may lay in the search criteria you used. When you go to your 'Matches' screen, try changing the options to the following:

Then click on "Run Report" and have a look at your results... You should still see some Sinclairs or St. Clairs in the results, unless the third panel of DNA markers (26 through 37) are all different from theirs (highly unlikely).

The other reason you may not see any Sinclairs or St. Clairs in the 37 marker results screen is if they did not test more than 25 markers, for some reason.

Also, are you certain that you have 21 exact matches at 25 markers? When you view the 25 marker matches, how many people have a value of "0" in the Steps category (column furthest to the left)? This seems highly unlikely that you would have this many perfect matches, as typically a perfect match at 25 markers indicates that you share a common ancestor with these people only one or two generations ago - therefore, they would all have to be your brothers or male first cousins.

Unless your father or grandfather made copious donations to a sperm bank, this doesn't seem likely lol Let me know what you find out.

Comment

An old request

Arlin,
              Sorry that I did not see your post until now. I had given up
              that I would receive any response es to it after it had been posted for a long period with no one responding. Thank you for responding. I did what you suggested, but I don't have any matches at any genetic distance at the 37th marker. I perplexed. Again thank you for responding.

[QUOTE=Arlin Brewster;368268]Hello,

Comment

Are you in a project, and can you give us your kit number so that we can make some comparisons?

What haplogroup do you belong to?

Do you have a zero (0) somewhere in your 26-37 marker panel?

Comment

This is not as unusual as people think

This question pops up frequently on the Newbie Yahoo Board. Usually the explanation is just that randomly the markers where you have unusual values (and therefore few or no matches) are in the last panel. I cover this topic in my Beginners Guide (free on line) here:
                  https://sites.google.com/site/wheatonsurname/beginners-guide-to-genetic-genealogy/lesson-14-more-with-the-y Sorry I did not read this earlier.....hope it helps others with the same question.

Comment

Working...
                  X