matches vs ysearch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matches vs ysearch

I have had yDNA 67 marker tested. Only 20 matches at 12 marker and about 6 at one step.
    On ysearch the best match is not good but for 67 markers each the two best are one with genetic distance of 18 and the other at 19. It is the one at 19gd that appears on my matches list at 1 step and the match of 18 gd which does not appear at all.
    I know this is not close but its all I have. I do not know the surname of my ancestor and I suspect he worked on ship.

matches vs ysearch

Forgot to add
    All three of us tested with FTdna so why does my best match not come up in my matches page.

Comment

FTDNA list a match when people have the following GD's/steps at each level

12 marker - 0 to 1
      25 marker - 0 to 2
      37 marker - 0 to 4
      67 marker - 0 to 7
      111 marker - 0 to 10

Have a look at the following yDNA FAQ's for explainations on what each step represents within each level of testing
      Questions 22 to 27
      http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=9

Comment

matches vs ysearch

Thanks for the reply prarielad.

So I suppose the first 12 markers used for the basic haplogroup are the least likely to mutate. My best match 18gd at 67 markers is the same haplogroup but had a few differences in that area. Just seems odd somehow.

Thats why I liked ysearch cause I could see more information and have more interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Lassie View Post
          Thanks for the reply prarielad.

So I suppose the first 12 markers used for the basic haplogroup are the least likely to mutate. My best match 18gd at 67 markers is the same haplogroup but had a few differences in that area. Just seems odd somehow.

Thats why I liked ysearch cause I could see more information and have more interaction.
          That is not my understanding. STR DYS385 and DYS439 from the Y12 panel are supposed to be relatively faster mutating.

Earl.

Comment

matches vs ysearch

In the first 12 markers there are 4 differences. We have the same haplogroup and deep clade markers. I would have thought the further back on the tree we go would be the most conserved DNA. Just having some trouble getting this to make sense to me.

Comment

Working...
            X