A1a paternal haplogroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A1a paternal haplogroup

My husband tested w 23andme. We are waiting for his FTDNA Y 37 results. The 23andme test gave him A1a as his paternal haplogroup and that he is 99.?% European with no other details. His tree is Britih as far back as I can go on the paternal line (back to 1600s) and his maternal is German.

I looked up the A1a on Google...I am very confused. What exactly did we learn? What does the A1a really tell us?

That's very interesting. The FTDNA test will give a predicted haplogroup which one expects will also be A1a.

Here's some info on A1a and its geographical distribution as currently known:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogr...DNA%29#A1a-M31

Note the mention of the 2007 discovery of a number of Yorkshiremen being A1a.

Comment

That is very interesting. In your post you say he shows up as 99% European
      at 23andme. Just to clarify - is he? Or to state the question another way does he have African ancestry? It is hard to be sure from your post whether you disbelieve 23andme's assessment. What does your husband consider himself to be?

Comment

This guy is VERY British...from a long line of farmers. His surname is rather rare and I'd say unusual in the US (very British) and I have documented his family tree pretty well. His mom's parents spoke German, arriving in the late 1800s to the US and settling in the Minnesota area. His paternal grandmother's line came from England (I believe his great grandfather was very involved in the Morman Church in the early years in Idaho tho' there are very few Mormans anywhere in his family). That line's surname is Tempest. His father's line came to the US in 1860 and ended up in eastern Washington as farmers.

His paternal line I have back to the 1600s in England. The family pictures going back 5 generations all look like "white" guys. If this haplogroup is so unusual, could there be an error in the results?

If FTDNA shows the same, then I have another mystery. Fun, huh?

Comment

I doubt 23andme made a mistake but confirmation from FTDNA would be
          A good thing . I think further testing at National geographic would be helpful also. FTDNA no longer does deep clade testing but relies on the Geno 2 test from Na. Geo. It is certainly a mystery to me but hopefully an expert on this Haplogroup will weigh in .He does have a very cool haplogroup though.

Comment

Originally posted by TMontes View Post
            My husband tested w 23andme. We are waiting for his FTDNA Y 37 results. The 23andme test gave him A1a as his paternal haplogroup and that he is 99.?% European with no other details. His tree is Britih as far back as I can go on the paternal line (back to 1600s) and his maternal is German.

I looked up the A1a on Google...I am very confused. What exactly did we learn? What does the A1a really tell us?
            Your husband's paternal haplogroup has virtually nothing to do with his population admixture. There is a reference in the Wikipedia entry to seven British men from Yorkshire who learned that they are members of the A1a paternal haplogroup in 2007. They traced their common male ancestor to a man in the 1800s, but they have no knowledge of their ancestor's African origins.

Don't be confused by having no Africans in your husband's genealogical records. A paternal haplogroup like A1a is passed from father to son for thousands of years with only minor changes due to mutation. It is quite possible that your husband's most recent African ancestor was a Moor. If this is the case, then he may have predated your husband's most distant genealogical records by more than a century.

Comment

Working...
            X