Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Hi,
    I was looking at my haplogroup and it says I am predicted R1b1A2. I want to get my SNP tested to find my exact haplo. I notice that you can check in many SNPs? but it would costs $100's to get tested.

Which would be the cheapest route to find my haplo sense mine is predicted? Do I have to get every single one tested? If so, that would just cost way to much.

my haplogroup and it says I am predicted R1b1A2
    This predicted haplogroup is way up the tree. In other other words there are hundreds of SNP's under it. You dont say how many markers your tested for?
    If you have 30+ marker test you may be able to join a project and see if the administrators could predict. If you believe yourself to be of Irish you could take a chance and order a L21 test since 35% of all Irish males are L21. If your nationaility is other than projects are your best bet.

Comment

Did you get your haplogroup assignment from STR testing or Geno 2.0 transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by A.Lock View Post
        Which would be the cheapest route to find my haplo sense mine is predicted? Do I have to get every single one tested? If so, that would just cost way to much.
        The least expensive way is to take the Geno 2.0 test for $200. It tests 13,000 Y SNP's and will give you last year's terminal SNP for your clade. The Y tree is an ongoing project with no end in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Lock View Post
          Without knowing which test you have already ordered no one can give a correct answer to your question.

Geno 2.0 might be the most informative, when and if they get all of the bugs worked out - see The Genographic Project topic! Most likely it wouldn't be the cheapest.

Let us know which test you have already ordered and what your long range goals are for your DNA testing.

Comment

He has only tested 25 markers and has not been deep clade tested yet.
            FTDNA has him predicted R - M269 and I know his ancestor was from England not Ireland.

Comment

Hopefully in the right thread.

Hi everyone, please forgive me if I am in the wrong thread, but my query is definately of a simular vein, I am in a VERY steep learning curve, trying to prove the origin of my Sons father, now my sons haplogroup is I2B1 I-223, my late husband was from Ireland, its not been exactly proven, beyond any doubt, we are waiting on my sons Y111 results due next week.
              Now all of a sudden reading the questions and answers on the forum, people have started to talk of L21 being from Ireland??????? Are we talking of Northern Ireland or the South???? Back in the day, it was all a United Ireland, incidentaly it is looking at the moment that the main matches in my Sons Y results ancestors are from Northern Ireland.
              Please can anyone throw any light? Thank you so much. Julie Dello

Comment

Haplogroup R1-L21 accounts for 35% of all Irish males. However that leaves a considerable amount that are not. In general it is difficult to assign any haplogroup to any particular country (with a few exceptions)
                As an L21 I get this all the time because L21 has been associated with Ireland/Scotland. In fact my L21 is from Normandy.

The Geno 2 test has been suggested but I think right now 23andme has the best value for the most info. It gives a relatively deep clade , and if you have already tested Y markers here you can supplement the 23andme with individual snp tests. The Geno 2 gives a very deep Y test but it's autosomal testing is useless for recent ancestry

Comment

Brunetmj,

How deep would a 23&me test someone who's believed to be R-U106 +, and L48+ ? Would 23&me test deeper than L48 ?

Thanks,

Wills

Comment

Y -dna

Thank you Brunetmj, for that reply, I am gonna stick with FTDNA for the time being, I have to say I have found them to be very accurate on the matches we have found, and when I do a "not in common with me" with FTDNA my son has about 15 pages all with Irish connections ?!!!!! Having said that and getting back to YDNA, my brother, who is English has exactly the same haplogroup as my son I2B1 I-223. It is very involved, but it sure is interesting?! Julie.

Comment

@ Wills
                      I do not think 23andme would go deeper than U106. It is hard for me to follow what people are testing exactly is because 23andme uses the 2009 tree making constant conversion necessary. That is why i generally say "fairly deep clade"

@dello. my reply was based on your question which was asking about a Y line.
                      If you have taken the Family Finder test your likely have enough information.

Comment

Originally posted by Wills View Post
                        Brunetmj,

How deep would a 23&me test someone who's believed to be R-U106 +, and L48+ ? Would 23&me test deeper than L48 ?

Thanks,

Wills
                        23andMe does test L48, but none of the Z SNPs below L48. I believe the only SNPs below L48 that they test are L47, L44, L46 and L45. That's a much smaller branch of L48 than the Z9 branch. See https://www.box.com/s/7ae5f36a90c474e3ab81 for a phylogenetic tree of U106, which includes the Z SNPs.
                        Last edited by MMaddi; 27th January 2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Brunetmj and MMaddi.

Wills

Comment

Working...
                          X