Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12marker results

Hi
    I have had a set of 12 marker results completed. No matches. But more to the point no haplogroup.
    I only did 12 markers to test if a ff cousin was a match,so has served that purpose, but would like to know the haplogroup.

Any one else had this happen

If FTDNA is not confident in predicting your Haplogroup based on your 12 marker Haplotype they will run a free Backbone test to determine the basic Haplogroup. If you don't have a predicted Haplogroup within a few weeks you may need to request the free Backbone test.

Comment

The haplogroup assignment usually ends far up the tree. So to go deeper you need another strategy. For example if you are in the R1b1 group your results may say M269. To go deeper you can order individual SNP's or need a deep clade. Once you get your haplogroup you can join projects that may be able to suggest further testing. If I was from Irish descent,for example, I would probably test for L21 because 35% of Irish males are L21. But this is hit or miss. I am french and have a L21 haplogroup. So starting with a project is the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
        The haplogroup assignment usually ends far up the tree. So to go deeper you need another strategy. For example if you are in the R1b1 group your results may say M269. To go deeper you can order individual SNP's or need a deep clade. Once you get your haplogroup you can join projects that may be able to suggest further testing. If I was from Irish descent,for example, I would probably test for L21 because 35% of Irish males are L21. But this is hit or miss. I am french and have a L21 haplogroup. So starting with a project is the best choice.
        He won't be able to join a haplogroup project until FTDNA establishes his haplogroup, either by prediction or the backbone test. Since FTDNA predicts the haplogroup based on 12 marker matches and he has none, they'll have to give him the backbone test for free, as Jim Barrett posted.

Once he has a backbone test result, he'll have his basic haplogroup confirmed. At that point he can join the appropriate haplogroup project. As you post above, the administrators of a project can give him further guidance about SNP testing to establish his downstream subclade.

Comment

Hi
          These are the markers if anyone would like to let me know which are the less common ones.

Marker DYS393 DYS390 DYS19** DYS391 DYS385 DYS426 DYS388 DYS439 DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II***
          Value 13 24 15 11 15-15 12 12 11 13 13 29

Comment

Originally posted by andbro View Post
            Hi
            These are the markers if anyone would like to let me know which are the less common ones.

Marker DYS393 DYS390 DYS19** DYS391 DYS385 DYS426 DYS388 DYS439 DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II***
            Value 13 24 15 11 15-15 12 12 11 13 13 29
            With DYS392=13, it's likely that you're R1b1a2 of some sort. The unusual marker values that are causing you not to get any matches at 12 markers are:

DYS19 - 15 (modal is 14)
            DYS385 - 15-15 (modal is 11-14, way off there)
            DYS439 - 11 (modal is 12)

It's no wonder that you have no matches at 12 markers, since you have 4 off-modal markers.

Comment

thanks Mmaddi

Comment

free backbone tests are only done for big Ydna groups , small ones like L never have a 'free" one.

the predictor from Molgen states
                N Haplogroup Probability
                1 R1b1b2-M269 84%

He needs to wait to establish a group and enter a project team before doing a SNP test or else he is wasting his time

Comment

He won't be able to join a haplogroup project until FTDNA establishes his haplogroup, either by prediction or the backbone test.
                  Correct. I understand that. I was making this suggestion AFTER he received his results for a haplogroup. Making it clear that even after he receives a haplogroup it is not a deep one , and he has more work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
                    free backbone tests are only done for big Ydna groups , small ones like L never have a 'free" one.
                    Sorry, but that's incorrect. Which y-haplogroup a person may (or may not) belong to has absolutely nothing to do with getting a free backbone test if needed.

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=8#515

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                      Sorry, but that's incorrect. Which y-haplogroup a person may (or may not) belong to has absolutely nothing to do with getting a free backbone test if needed.

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=8#515
                      well then i got ripped off, I had to pay to get a L131 test to move me out of plain T into what was then called T1b.

since there is only 1 project team for T then what I said is true. You get a free test if there are more than 1 project team.

take your pick....was I ripped off or am I right ?

Comment

You were assigned a haplgroup (T), and you paid for an additional test to determine a subclade (T1b) ... those are not the same thing, and not the subject of this thread.

Comment

well then i got ripped off, I had to pay to get a L131 test to move me out of plain T into what was then called T1b.

since there is only 1 project team for T then what I said is true. You get a free test if there are more than 1 project team.

Take a look at the FAQ page that Vinnie linked to. The chart for the backbone test clearly shows that the test includes M70, which defines haplogroup T.

So, the question is whether you were given the backbone test for free or not. If so, then they fulfilled their promise made in the SNP assurance program. However, that program does not promise to test you for free down to your most downstream SNP. That's your choice and costs you money.

If they gave you the free backbone test that showed your haplogroup is T and then you chose to spend money by ordering further SNP testing, how did they rip you off?

Comment

This is also an unanswerable question, as posed as an either/or question, as you evidently believe you WERE ripped-off and you ARE right (in believing you were ripped-off).

In any event, you were not ripped-off AND you are wrong (in thinking you were ripped-off).
                            Last edited by tomcat; 11th January 2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                              This is also an unanswerable question, as posed as an either/or question, as you evidently believe you WERE ripped-off and you ARE right (in believing you were ripped-off).

In any event, you were not ripped-off AND you are wrong (in thinking you were ripped-off).
                              no, I believe because there is only 1 project team for T, one is placed in that project team..so one does not get a free backbone.........Thats what I said before......it all depends on the size of the ydna .

But, because there is only one project team, do I just sit there or go for a SNP test and belong to one of these markers ( markers now changed )
                              1... T- M184
                              2....T1 - M320
                              3...T1a - L162
                              4 ...T1b ...L131

Big ydna with many project teams have an advantage of getting a free backbone

Basically you only get a free backbone to place you in a project team and not for the subclade.....that is it.

Comment

Working...
                              X