how many steps out does ftdna report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many steps out does ftdna report?

Just curious how many steps away FTDNA reports for 37 markers. My great-uncle has a match at 25 markers, GD of 2 who does not show up at 37 markers. Neither has been tested further. They share an uncommon German surname. I haven't had contact with him yet, but Google has led me to believe his ancestors lived about 35 miles from mine and no connection post-1640.

His only other match is a Polish man of a much different surname also at a GD of 2 on 25, doesn't show on 37. However I know he's at a GD of 8 on 37.

On my pages they show a GD of 1 for 25, a GD of 3 for 37 and a GD of 7 for 67.

Comment

The filters on my page are all up to 7 steps.

Set at 25/7 I get 3,621 matches. At 37/7 I get 43 matches. At 67/7 I get none.

Comment

As far as I know FTDNA has been reporting 111 marker matches to a maximum GD of 10. My new 111 marker matches suddenly appeared a few weeks ago presumably because they had changed the method of counting alleles. This may only have been a temporary measure as the matches have now disappeared. Checking the latest FAQs my previous matches are no longer considered related, despite having the same surname. Quite confusing!

Comment

Originally posted by on the edge View Post
          As far as I know FTDNA has been reporting 111 marker matches to a maximum GD of 10. My new 111 marker matches suddenly appeared a few weeks ago presumably because they had changed the method of counting alleles. This may only have been a temporary measure as the matches have now disappeared. Checking the latest FAQs my previous matches are no longer considered related, despite having the same surname. Quite confusing!
          Yes, they show up to 10 steps at 111 markers; something that I hadn't noticed myself until 3 matches popped-up suddenly when FTDNA IT changed the way that they calculate GD. In my case it was a false alarm. Although I recognized the men that showed as 10 step matches, when I did the arithmetic using the new FTDNA algorithm I saw that the calculation was wrong and reported it to FTDNA via my project administrator.

About a week later the "matches" disappeared, signalling that the bug(s) had been fixed.

Comment

Isn’t it about time FTDNA reconsider their statement about GD >10 being unrelated at 111 markers?
            Item 27: http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=9#915
            This recent exercise has clearly proved the information in their FAQ to be incorrect.
            Last edited by on the edge; 4 January 2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by on the edge View Post
              Isn’t it about time FTDNA reconsider their statement about GD >10 being unrelated at 111 markers?
              Item 27: http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=9#915
              This recent exercise has clearly proved the information in their FAQ to be incorrect.
              The reason the matches showed up in 111 markers after the new system of counting GD's was implemented was due to an error in their new "software". It was calculating the GD's only to the 67 marker level for each of the matches it was showing in the 111 marker level, missing all the differences in the 111 level.

It has been corrected, that is why those matches have now disappeared as they probabably fell into the >10 category.

They are still using the new system of counting GD's, it is now just counting fully to the 111 level.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31913
              Last edited by prairielad; 4 January 2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                The reason the matches showed up in 111 markers after the new system of counting GD's was implemented was due to an error in their new "software". It was calculating the GD's only to the 67 marker level for each of the matches it was showing in the 111 marker level, missing all the differences in the 111 level.

It has been corrected, that is why those matches have now disappeared as they probabably fell into the >10 category.

They are still using the new system of counting GD's, it is now just counting fully to the 111 level.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=31913
                Thanks for your explanation. However that should not prevent FTDNA from widening the threshold above >10 to include possible and genuine matches. It is misleading for them to use a blanket statement, as in their FAQs, that those outside a GD of 10 markers are not related.
                Last edited by on the edge; 4 January 2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X