Holy SNPS, Batman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
    That's all very well, but they're never going to get around the fact that not all subclades will be equally well covered by the SNPs in TGP2. In some cases (particularly, deep in the R1b1a2 tree), TGP will be a vast improvement over the Deep Clade; in others, not so much, because those subclades have always depended on à la carte SNPs suggested by project admins. So I would suggest anyone considering TGP2 from a strictly Y perspective talk to their project admins before ordering. In some cases, one SNP for $29 is a much better deal than $200.
    Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
      I think the SNP's displayed on top of the haplogroup page are SNP's that fit or are offered by FTDNA as testable SNP's. Whereas the results displayed under the SNP section of your project are all of them.
      Correct.

Comment

Questions?

In ordering new SNPs should one just wait for the updates to the tree and see if there are any new downstream SNPs then consider ordering - why do people have to contact their admin? For me both my Y and mt Hgs are terminal at this point - am I missing something?

Second, if FTDNA is doing STR tests how do they know what SNPs you need to test for? Is there some correlation or prediction with STRs and SNPs? And if so can't I predict my STRs from the SNPs?

Comment

Originally posted by JTR View Post
          In ordering new SNPs should one just wait for the updates to the tree and see if there are any new downstream SNPs then consider ordering - why do people have to contact their admin? For me both my Y and mt Hgs are terminal at this point - am I missing something?
          If you feel that you understand sufficiently, then you don't need to contact the admin. I've been at this for six years, and I still rely on my haplogroup admins because they voluntarily make it their job to stay up on the latest developments - I just don't have the time - although I've been spending a lot of time catching up and trying to stay on top of the latest developments as GENO2.0 results are reported. While I've been given a terminal SNP, I won't be surprised at all if it isn't changed after enough new data have been analyzed.

Originally posted by JTR View Post
          Second, if FTDNA is doing STR tests how do they know what SNPs you need to test for? Is there some correlation or prediction with STRs and SNPs? And if so can't I predict my STRs from the SNPs?
          Depending on the haplogroup, certain motifs of STR markers may indicate a particular subclade or subgroup within a subclade; additionally, sometimes the values of particular STRs are correlated with particular SNPs/subclades. See the following website for a good haplogroup predictor predictor http://www.hprg.com/hapest5/ However, the reverse is not normally true because many subclades have very similar STR motifs, making SNP testing essential to determine which subclade someone belongs to.

Comment

If my admins suggest testing something, I will. If I see that a new discovery might be pointing to the need for future SNP tests, I'll also order tests on my own, since I seem to have more money than patience.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
              If you feel that you understand sufficiently, then you don't need to contact the admin. I've been at this for six years, and I still rely on my haplogroup admins because they voluntarily make it their job to stay up on the latest developments - I just don't have the time - although I've been spending a lot of time catching up and trying to stay on top of the latest developments as GENO2.0 results are reported. While I've been given a terminal SNP, I won't be surprised at all if it isn't changed after enough new data have been analyzed.

Depending on the haplogroup, certain motifs of STR markers may indicate a particular subclade or subgroup within a subclade; additionally, sometimes the values of particular STRs are correlated with particular SNPs/subclades. See the following website for a good haplogroup predictor predictor http://www.hprg.com/hapest5/ However, the reverse is not normally true because many subclades have very similar STR motifs, making SNP testing essential to determine which subclade someone belongs to.
              That makes sense - Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X