Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy SNPS, Batman!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Holy SNPS, Batman!

    I was able to transfer my Geno 2.0 results to my FTDNA account. My SNP report now shows the following:

    52 CTS
    52 F
    40 L
    11 M
    44 P
    1 PAGES
    110 PF
    2 s
    1 U
    5 V
    28 YSC
    20 Z

    for a (sub)total of 366 mutations. But this doesn't count my family/private M157.2 SNP (for a total of 367).

    While I may not have special powers like the X-Men, I guess I can be called the Y-MAN

  • #2
    How did you transfer it over may I ask? When you tried to transfer did it take you to an order screen at FTDNA?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by travers View Post
      When you tried to transfer did it take you to an order screen at FTDNA?
      Just select invoice on the payment page -- you won't be charged. The payment page will be removed from the transfer process very soon, perhaps during tomorrow morning's website maintenance.

      Elise

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by efgen View Post
        Just select invoice on the payment page -- you won't be charged. The payment page will be removed from the transfer process very soon, perhaps during tomorrow morning's website maintenance.

        Elise
        Thanks Elise.

        Comment


        • #5
          Batcave codes?

          Please tell me what those numbers and groups of letters mean.
          Thanks, Roy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by royfarnol View Post
            Please tell me what those numbers and groups of letters mean.
            Thanks, Roy
            Those are the codes for the SNP series:
            e.g. "L" is designated for the SNPs discovered at FTDNA like L488, L15, L16, etc

            He is saying that he has 40 of these "L" SNPs
            and he has 20 of the "Z" series SNPS
            and so on...

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks ajmr1a1.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
                I was able to transfer my Geno 2.0 results to my FTDNA account. My SNP report now shows the following:

                52 CTS
                52 F
                40 L
                11 M
                44 P
                1 PAGES
                110 PF
                2 s
                1 U
                5 V
                28 YSC
                20 Z

                for a (sub)total of 366 mutations. But this doesn't count my family/private M157.2 SNP (for a total of 367).

                While I may not have special powers like the X-Men, I guess I can be called the Y-MAN
                Y-MAN!
                That is crazy! I was browsing through the pages on the U106 project looking at the SNP's from the Geno 2 transfers... then yours popped, it took the entire page!

                Does this mean that more people with similar DNA have done the WTY so the SNPs have been discovered? Where as people with fewer SNPs have not had their SNPs discovered yet?

                With so many SNPs what do you estimate the MRCA to be?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Actually I've seen someone else who posted they have 484 SNPs, leaving my 367 SNPs in the dust.

                  In the end (with eventual full-sequence testing) everyone will have roughly the same number of y-SNPs. There have been some educated guesses that they will eventually discover one Y-SNP for every 1-2 generations, and there have been (rough guess) about 5,000 generations since Y-Adam.

                  Currently, there are large areas of the Y-Chromosome which currently defy any attempt to sequence (due to the extreme repetitiveness of the area). In addition, (as you have alluded to) some Y haplogroups have been better explored than others.

                  My terminal SNP is M157.2. This is a family/private SNP. I have been able to determine it existed prior to 1584 (as all direct-male descendants of Rev. John Winge have this SNP), but it has not been found in any other surname. Given the fact within the Wing family we have a GD about 4 from one another, and we have tested another family (Howland) with a GD of about 8 from us, it appears this SNP originated sometime between 400-800 years ago.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was able to join the U106 project!

                    Interesting note, my SNPs info in the project now shows like yours... about 450-475 it's hard counting them all!

                    it's interesting that the projects get all of the SNP info from our Geno transfers but FTDNA only posts "their known?" on our y-dna SNP section.

                    btw... how do I get from a red predicted haplogroup to a green confirmed one?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Neves View Post
                      I was able to join the U106 project!
                      Great! Welcome!

                      Interesting note, my SNPs info in the project now shows like yours... about 450-475 it's hard counting them all!

                      it's interesting that the projects get all of the SNP info from our Geno transfers but FTDNA only posts "their known?" on our y-dna SNP section.

                      btw... how do I get from a red predicted haplogroup to a green confirmed one?
                      To date, FTDNA only changes haplogroups to green "confirmed" via their Deep Clade test. If you trawl the U106 SNP page you'll find members who have tested many SNPs but are still shown in red. This is because they have not done the deep clade test, but instead have tested single SNPs as appropriate -- usually under guidance of the project's admins.

                      All of this will soon change following the introduction of Geno 2. FTDNA is expected to phase out the deep clade test so haplogroup confirmation will be via individual SNP testing or via Geno 2 testing. The issue they have at the moment is that Geno 2 is expected to change the Y haplotree radically and with that the definitions of the sub-haplogroups and it seems that FTDNA will stop using haplogroup as such in favor of your current terminal SNP, such as R-Z306.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just counted mine - 422 - weeeeeee! I had a wopping 130 CTS.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JTR View Post
                          Just counted mine - 422 - weeeeeee! I had a wopping 130 CTS.
                          Great to see some big action in haplogroup I.

                          It will be very interesting to see where those CTS series SNPs sit on the Y tree in relation to hg I; that is, whether they sit above or below L41, etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gtc View Post
                            All of this will soon change following the introduction of Geno 2. FTDNA is expected to phase out the deep clade test so haplogroup confirmation will be via individual SNP testing or via Geno 2 testing. The issue they have at the moment is that Geno 2 is expected to change the Y haplotree radically and with that the definitions of the sub-haplogroups and it seems that FTDNA will stop using haplogroup as such in favor of your current terminal SNP, such as R-Z306.
                            That's all very well, but they're never going to get around the fact that not all subclades will be equally well covered by the SNPs in TGP2. In some cases (particularly, deep in the R1b1a2 tree), TGP will be a vast improvement over the Deep Clade; in others, not so much, because those subclades have always depended on à la carte SNPs suggested by project admins. So I would suggest anyone considering TGP2 from a strictly Y perspective talk to their project admins before ordering. In some cases, one SNP for $29 is a much better deal than $200.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              t's interesting that the projects get all of the SNP info from our Geno transfers but FTDNA only posts "their known?" on our y-dna SNP section.
                              I think the SNP's displayed on top of the haplogroup page are SNP's that fit or are offered by FTDNA as testable SNP's. Whereas the results displayed under the SNP section of your project are all of them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X