Another upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another upgrade question

Maybe this has been answered, but I can't seem to find it. I started with a 12-marker Y test and Family Finder during the last sale. I figured I would upgrade to the 111 during the next sale after getting my initial results. When my 12 marker & Family Finder results came, I was offered a button to upgrade to the DeepClade test, which I did. I'm still waiting for that result, but my question is, is the DeepClade the same as the 111 marker, or is it obvious they are 2 different tests?

They are two different test. The Deep Clade test looks for SNPs and help provide information about deep ancestry (10s of 1,000s of years ago). The marker tests report STRs and are helpful in finding other men with a recent common paternal ancestor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      They are two different test. The Deep Clade test looks for SNPs and help provide information about deep ancestry (10s of 1,000s of years ago). The marker tests report STRs and are helpful in finding other men with a recent common paternal ancestor.
      Ok, that's what I figured once I really looked at it. Thanks for you help.

Comment

You don't mention whether you got matches at the 12 marker level.
        If not I would not bother with a 111 marker test (at least at this time).
        Likely a 37 marker would be adequate. I tested for 111 only for research purposes for my deep clade established project.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
          Likely a 37 marker would be adequate. I tested for 111 only for research purposes for my deep clade established project.
          I agree with going to 37 markers. I have one match with whom I am one marker off at 37, one marker off at 25, and one off at 12, that is, the one marker out of 37 on which we don't match up falls in the first 12. An 11 out of 12 match is below the FTDNA radar, so his name doesn't even show up until I run the 25-marker comparison. It turns out we are in fact 5th cousins in our respective male lines. Maybe a long shot, but the same thing might be happening to you.

Comment

FWIW:

My brother and I match 11/12 and 36/37.

Only other close match (probable 3rd-5th cousin-same surname) matches me 12/12 and 36/37.

So I agree 37 marker test is needed in order to begin drawing any conclusions about family connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
              Right, sorry. So, if I understand correctly, when I looked at Y matching & advanced matching, I had 9 matches: 1 was private, 4 were 12 markers, 1 was 12 marker HRV1, 1 was 25 marker, and 2 were 67 marker (I mean that what it showed they had tested). It was zero steps for all of them. The 67 markers both showed 33.57% at 4 generations on the TiP report. I've read the 12's don't mean much to me at this level, correct?

So, would it still benefit me to at least go to 37, or a 67?
              Last edited by JackSprat; 14 November 2012, 05:33 PM. Reason: added information to clarify my answer

Comment

I agree with not bothering about the 111 marker test, there is no real benefit to testing to this level unless you are part of a surname project researching deep ancestor.

I tested to 111 level but not to help with my research(maybe it will in time) but to help my L-165 project with mutation rates and such.

But to get the most out of your ydna results I would test to 67 marker level. Check your surname matches to see what they have tested to, if none have tested to 67 then you wont have any benefit at this level at this point of time.

Comment

Working...
                X