X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by 507 View Post
    I think most of this comes from people worried about spam and hackers and Virus's on their computers.
    You're probably right.

I've emailed FTDNA and asked them to forward my original email to the man. Maybe he'll look at an email from FTDNA.

If that doesn't work, I'll ask them to snail mail him for me.

Gotta try!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Thanks for the information. So in other words, the 67 marker test is a whole lot better than the 37 test ? I have a family tree that my Dad put together but it was done back in the 1970's and I'm not sure at all how accurate any of it is. I firmly believe that he is my Dad but past that I'm not entirely sure. He went back 5 or 6 generations but I'm not sure what he based any of his conclusions on. 1 of my 37 of 37 marker matches has my last name. Or middle name in her case, its a woman. Of the 36 of 37 matches and 35 of 37 matches, over half of them have my last name. I joined a project for my last name and the project co - ordinator says that I belong in the project based on my results and that he can also tell me for sure who my ancestors were based on my results and all the matches I have. I find it kind of unbelieveable and far - fetched that he can make such a claim but thats what he says. I would love a second opinion on all that but we only have on co - ordinator.
    Those close matches with your surname are undoubtedly relatives of yours, but, yes, it would be best if all of you went to 67 markers to be sure, especially if you have a common or relatively common surname. 111 markers would be even better. I think you should listen to your project administrator. It doesn't sound like he is steering you wrong.

It is quite common in genetic genealogy for the y-dna kit of a man to be sponsored and managed by a woman - his sister, or daughter, or niece, or what-have-you. In fact, it has been my experience that often these ladies bring a level of interest and enthusiasm to genetic genealogy that is lacking in their male counterparts. I am extremely grateful that the kit of one of my closest matches is run by the man's daughter. She is very intelligent and has been interested in each new development and possibility. It's been great working with her.

Leave a comment:

• Dave123
    replied
    I also just received an exact 12 marker match. Not surprisingly he has a surname from one of the south Balkan countries, where my E-V13 haplogroup peaks. So far no one with my Schroeder surname has shown up as a match, although I noticed in the German phonebook for the village of Ostereistedt, where my paternal line originated, there are some Schroeders listed. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are related.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    BTW, I still haven't heard from the 12-marker match who is the subject of this thread.

Blah. I do not understand folks who pay for a y-dna test and then won't respond when contacted by their matches.

I think most of this comes from people worried about spam and hackers and Virus's on their computers.

Leave a comment:

replied
    A lot depends on whether or not those close 37-marker matches you described have your surname or a variant of it. If not, you need to go out to 67 markers and see how they stack up. If they do, an upgrade to 67 markers is still a good idea.

We haven't upgraded my second cousin once removed beyond 37 markers because we have a good paper trail that shows that we share the same y-dna ancestor in my 2nd great grandfather, who is my match's great grandfather (that's where the "once removed" bit comes in).

Y-dna matches have to be firmed up with documentary evidence and/or evidence from oral tradition. It's hard to tell based upon either y-dna or paper trail alone. Together they're dynamite. Of course, an exact match at 67 markers means something, paper trail or no paper trail.
    Thanks for the information. So in other words, the 67 marker test is a whole lot better than the 37 test ? I have a family tree that my Dad put together but it was done back in the 1970's and I'm not sure at all how accurate any of it is. I firmly believe that he is my Dad but past that I'm not entirely sure. He went back 5 or 6 generations but I'm not sure what he based any of his conclusions on. 1 of my 37 of 37 marker matches has my last name. Or middle name in her case, its a woman. Of the 36 of 37 matches and 35 of 37 matches, over half of them have my last name. I joined a project for my last name and the project co - ordinator says that I belong in the project based on my results and that he can also tell me for sure who my ancestors were based on my results and all the matches I have. I find it kind of unbelieveable and far - fetched that he can make such a claim but thats what he says. I would love a second opinion on all that but we only have on co - ordinator.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    BTW, I still haven't heard from the 12-marker match who is the subject of this thread.

Blah. I do not understand folks who pay for a y-dna test and then won't respond when contacted by their matches.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    I have two exact matches at 37 markers and 8 matches on 36 of 37 markers and 5 matches on 35 of 37 markers, according to this website. You say your second cousin is a 37 marker match ? That means you have the same great grandparents right ? What is the average distance as far as matching goes ? How far back is average for these type matches? This website only gives us a range that is basically enormous. Could one of my matches be really really closely related ? Like just 3 generations back ?
    A lot depends on whether or not those close 37-marker matches you described have your surname or a variant of it. If not, you need to go out to 67 markers and see how they stack up. If they do, an upgrade to 67 markers is still a good idea.

We haven't upgraded my second cousin once removed beyond 37 markers because we have a good paper trail that shows that we share the same y-dna ancestor in my 2nd great grandfather, who is my match's great grandfather (that's where the "once removed" bit comes in).

Y-dna matches have to be firmed up with documentary evidence and/or evidence from oral tradition. It's hard to tell based upon either y-dna or paper trail alone. Together they're dynamite. Of course, an exact match at 67 markers means something, paper trail or no paper trail.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Got a new exact 12-marker match this morning. I know, I know: it's only 12 markers. But this man has my surname.

I have an exact 37-marker match with a second cousin once removed that began the same way, as a surprise exact 12-marker match.

I've emailed the man. Hope I hear back from him, and I hope he's enthusiastic and willing to upgrade, or that the woman behind his test is enthusiastic and willing to upgrade him.
    I have two exact matches at 37 markers and 8 matches on 36 of 37 markers and 5 matches on 35 of 37 markers, according to this website. You say your second cousin is a 37 marker match ? That means you have the same great grandparents right ? What is the average distance as far as matching goes ? How far back is average for these type matches? This website only gives us a range that is basically enormous. Could one of my matches be really really closely related ? Like just 3 generations back ?

Leave a comment:

• Donald Locke
    replied
    That is great news Stevo!
    Any time a genetic match comes in with the same surname, is always good news!
    Even a 12/12 match to the same surname is exciting because that low level match can easily turn in to a high level match later.

I hope it all works out for you in the long run!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaru View Post
    Is this a match to your current surname or a match to the "other" surname that you also had a match to?

Either way- good for you.
    It's a match to a man with my surname, Stevens, spelled exactly the same way.

I do have one 65/67 match with a man with a different surname, but he does not match anyone with his surname. He matches a bunch of us Stevenses and Stephenses, though.

I also have a 64/67 match with a man with a variant of my surname, Stephens. Like me, he has tested DF41+.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Congrats.

I wouldn't be excited about it at all if he didn't have my surname. That's the thing in this case that makes all the difference.

Otherwise, I have exact 12-marker matches who are L47 and L48 and not even in my y haplogroup.
    Is this a match to your current surname or a match to the "other" surname that you also had a match to?

Either way- good for you.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
    Congratulations..I am aware that 12 markers generally may not mean much but for those of us who have never had a match it is quite a deal.
    I wouldn't be excited about it at all if he didn't have my surname. That's the thing in this case that makes all the difference.

Otherwise, I have exact 12-marker matches who are L47 and L48 and not even in my y haplogroup.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    I have paid for the upgrades of others in the past, but I hope I don't have to do that again. Still, if it makes the difference between finding out and not finding out, well, I'll do it.

Leave a comment:

• bob armstrong
    replied
    I'm very pleased for you, Stevo. You put a lot into the forums, so nice to see you getting something back.
    If they don't seem keen to upgrade, you could always offer to cover it, if necessary.
    Let's they're keen & that it leads to further revelations.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Brunetmj
    replied
    Congratulations..I am aware that 12 markers generally may not mean much but for those of us who have never had a match it is quite a deal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X